Our back three

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Patrick Suffaux

Reaction score
I notice from reading the rumour mill that very few rumoured signings relate to defenders which says a lot about our current back three I think.

Personally I wouldn’t look to change that trio at all. They’re all good enough to play in the Premier League and the continuity will serve us well. Difficult to see whom we could realistically add to improve that area. I’m hoping we bring younger prospects in to compete with them longer term.

We perhaps lack depth there but I really hope we focus the spending on areas further up the field.

I think Basham may struggle next season. Good lad, 100% effort but may be a step too far.
I think Bash's toughest opponent next season will be VAR !

We have been linked with Jags and Williams, both vastly experienced CBs so whilst they are probably just obvious names for the journos to bandy about, I'd be surprised if we don't bring in someone in that position. Our success is, in a way, going to cause us issues finding players who can play the barmy system.

I'm comfortable going into the season with the current 3 first choice - hopefully with the same keeper behind them.

We will need more cover there, ideally in all 3 positions, but that doesn't have to be done just by signing CBs.

Wing backs who can play the wide CB positions are ideal signings. A couple of those and one CB would be perfect.

My worry is pace. Some of the attackers we will be up against are going to be super fast. If anything can undo organised chaos it is pace. It's going to be one hell of a ride. :)

Completely disagree with all due respect. I think he has all the primary tools to hold his own at that level. Big, athletic, consistent, can carry the ball out from the back.

He’s also played in the PL before.

Off the top of my head, only Stearman and Sharp (if you can count his couple of little cameos) have too.

I don’t know why we let Cranie go. He provided excellent cover and would have been very useful next season.

I heard, from a Huddersfield supporting mate, that they want him back, hope so, he deserves first team football from what I saw of him.

Agree with all who say he never let us down and never put a foot wrong in our colours.

If JOC gets injured we are not going to get away with playing Stevens there on a regular basis. If Edna moves to LCB who plays at LWB?

We are desperately short of cover in these two positions and we were lucky last season that JOC only missed the odd game or two. Remember what happened when he went off against Bristol City, lost the game from a winning position. Two important positions that need capable back up.

The pace of the game in the premiership will increase the risk of injuries and suspension not even taking into account loss of form and whether certain players can cut it. I hope we have allocated funds for these two positions. Amari Bell from Blackburn and Matt Clarke of Portsmouth would be my two picks. Good young up and coming players.

I don’t know why we let Cranie go. He provided excellent cover and would have been very useful next season.

Said it before the only thing I can think of is we are looking for an upgrade on Basham which would push him down the pecking order

If JOC gets injured we are not going to get away with playing Stevens there on a regular basis. If Edna moves to LCB who plays at LWB?

We are desperately short of cover in these two positions and we were lucky last season that JOC only missed the odd game or two. Remember what happened when he went off against Bristol City, lost the game from a winning position. Two important positions that need capable back up.

The pace of the game in the premiership will increase the risk of injuries and suspension not even taking into account loss of form and whether certain players can cut it. I hope we have allocated funds for these two positions. Amari Bell from Blackburn and Matt Clarke of Portsmouth would be my two picks. Good young up and coming players.

Our defensive recruitment has to be weighted in favour of strengthening the right hand side. Because O'Connell and Stevens are two of our most convincing players, ability and fitness wise.

So just one player to cover those two would be fine, with one CB/RCB and one RCB/RWB coming in too.

Kristian Pedersen from Birmingham would cover LWB and LCB nicely. Then maybe Lenihan and Holgate for the centre/right area.

Our defensive recruitment has to be weighted in favour of strengthening the right hand side. Because O'Connell and Stevens are two of our most convincing players, ability and fitness wise.

So just one player to cover those two would be fine, with one CB/RCB and one RCB/RWB coming in too.

Kristian Pedersen from Birmingham would cover LWB and LCB nicely. Then maybe Lenihan and Holgate for the centre/right area.
Pederson a good shout ,looks rock solid and I think he got their player of the year didn't he ?

I'm quite happy with our defence if we get a top keeper in, it's the one area where "cover" is acceptable
It's pace and creativity that we need to bring in better than we've already got

Pederson a good shout ,looks rock solid and I think he got their player of the year didn't he ?

I'm sure Adams won their awards but Pedersen had a good first season.

He definitely looks very solid and aggressive, with excellent physicality and reasonable ability on the ball. At 6 foot 2 he'd be quite a natural at LCB.

With LWB cover, I think it's more important to go on the side of defensive ability rather than attacking ability. We shouldn't be as reliant on the wing backs going forward as we should have more pace and quality in attacking areas. A more defensive LWB is also more likely to be able to cover LCB - which is desirable.

Load of fans said that he couldn't play in championship look how that turned out

Get that mate but the step up from L1 to Championship is only decent. The step up to the Prem is gargantuan and it will catch out the 100% guys like Bash. I love Bash but technically he ain't great and he struggles against pace.

Get that mate but the step up from L1 to Championship is only decent. The step up to the Prem is gargantuan and it will catch out the 100% guys like Bash. I love Bash but technically he ain't great and he struggles against pace.

I agree with the pace bit but it's not just him who struggles with it, it's the whole team

Think basham is a bit more than 100 %
Maybe you should study his game a bit closer ,he is quick ,reads the game well ,strong ,adapts to changes in formation during the game and tactical changes

I'm not worried about him stepping up a level ,no more than o'connel or egan anyway as experience tells me it's often the players you least expect who aclimatise and the ones you think will make it often don't

I agree with the pace bit but it's not just him who struggles with it, it's the whole team

The technical bit and reading of the game will be too much for him. VAR will be a big problem for Bash.

Think basham is a bit more than 100 %
Maybe you should study his game a bit closer ,he is quick ,reads the game well ,strong ,adapts to changes in formation during the game and tactical changes

I'm not worried about him stepping up a level ,no more than o'connel or egan anyway as experience tells me it's often the players you least expect who aclimatise and the ones you think will make it often don't

Oh I watch him closely thanks, maybe you don't?

I think Basham may struggle next season. Good lad, 100% effort but may be a step too far.
I suspect that we will sign a strong contender in the right side of defence. Lowton would be ideal, but I'm sure Wilder will bring someone in.

I think you’re doing him a huge disservice. I don’t recall him struggling against anyone particularly.

The only occasions I have seen Basham have an under par game (and I remember them as there have only been 2 or 3) it’s when he’s made out of character decisions in possession.

He’s technically sound and very reliable in my opinion. Right from L1 to now he’s been one of our best players.

Back
Top Bottom