One for the Old Timers....

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Get rid of that terrible pink away kit might help for a start. Why is Billy not getting a chance? he would have scored at least two of Mcburnmiss missed.
He may have scored them as he is a good finisher but would he have got in the position to score them and if in position would he have been off side?
He has been a credit to himself and the club, but now??

He may have scored them as he is a good finisher but would he have got in the position to score them and if in position would he have been off side?
He has been a credit to himself and the club, but now??
I’d be confident that he could keep pace with McBurnie, even now. 🤔

I really hope we don't sack CW

We need a win soon and CW might have to think out of the box to conjure that up. A phone call to be DB for any ideas from the 90/91 season might help (and yes I know that brings up connotations of Micky Adams time at United), although as CW was a player at the club at the time he might be able to draw something from that time himself. He could do a lot worse than getting them all shit-faced before the next game. His hands are tied at the minute on that front with the boozers being shut but surely they could organise something at one of the bars in the ground or at Shirecliffe. Get some dippers in to put on a show, owt to take the players mind off being rock bottom.
You've put a smile on my face but I don't think it'll do him any favours with the owner! I think he talks to Harry anyhow.

We finished bottom with 22 points (42 games/2 points for win) and we were 11 points from safety. Dismal days.
Maybe Silent Blade could trawl back through the records as to when we were mathematically relegated?
It was probably around end of March.
At least we were spared the last day heartbreak that time!!
UTB

We finished bottom with 22 points (42 games/2 points for win) and we were 11 points from safety. Dismal days.
Maybe Silent Blade could trawl back through the records as to when we were mathematically relegated?
UTB
I quite enjoyed Norwich away though
Simon stainrod

Those thinking McBurnie is the biggest waste of money ever, didn't see Guthrie. £100k was a big fee back then.
Durning his debut game, we sang ’Six foot two, eyes of blue, big Chris Guthrie’s after you’.

By Christmas we were singing ‘What a waste of moneeeeey!’

UTB
After we lost 5-0 at Spurs 27/3/76

january 76 fa cup 3rd round 3k blades crammed in to that little corner by the corner flag at filbert street absolute mayhem all afternoon keith edwards debut and lost 3 - 0 to a chris garland hat trick if my memory serves me right cracking day out though

also the opening of the new south stand which some think was cursed due to ending cricket at the lane . which meant only seven seasons in top flight since over 45 seasons. after never finishing below 11th in second tier over 86 seasons
I do miss that cricket though! Saw the Aussies, West Indies and South Africans, prior to the apartheid ban, there and many county sides too.

That summer of 1975 hadn't Furphy lined up Franny Lee for £50k but Dick Wragg put the kibosh on at the last minute and insisted they got Guthrie instead for £90k? Then when the season started wasn't Currie injured and missed the first few games?

Another reason put about at that time for the poor season was that a lot of the core of the team got old at the same time (all the defence, plus Eddy and Dearden, with only TC and Woody of the established players being under 30) without being adequately replaced. For the good young 'uns that were coming through Edwards, Stainrod, TK, McGeady, Hamson, Adams it was perhaps too early to effect the 75/76 but give them 3 or 4 years and we'd have another core of players to build a team around ... enter Sloppy Harry to sell them all and on the cheap!!!

I do miss that cricket though! Saw the Aussies, West Indies and South Africans, prior to the apartheid ban, there and many county sides too.

What was the Lane like as a cricket ground?

The new South Stand had just been built when I started going so missed out on the cricket. I've always thought if we'd kept the Lane as a cricket ground we wouldn't have had the financial problems we did have and that it could have been used for ODIs and eventually test matches due to the sheer size of the ground. A 50k ground would have been the biggest cricket ground in the country by a considerable distance and financially the ECB would have to put tests on at the Lane to maximise their profits (250k punters over 5 days, compared to say Headingley 65k punters over the same period, no brainer from a financial viewpoint).

That summer of 1975 hadn't Furphy lined up Franny Lee for £50k but Dick Wragg put the kibosh on at the last minute and insisted they got Guthrie instead for £90k? Then when the season started wasn't Currie injured and missed the first few games?

Another reason put about at that time for the poor season was that a lot of the core of the team got old at the same time (all the defence, plus Eddy and Dearden, with only TC and Woody of the established players being under 30) without being adequately replaced. For the good young 'uns that were coming through Edwards, Stainrod, TK, McGeady, Hamson, Adams it was perhaps too early to effect the 75/76 but give them 3 or 4 years and we'd have another core of players to build a team around ... enter Sloppy Harry to sell them all and on the cheap!!!
TC was suspended for the first two games of the season. Ludlam's debut was against Spurs in November, then played in the next 12 league games, McGeady's debut was against Boro on Boxing Day, started in the next 10 league matches before breaking his leg at Man City. Edward started in two league matches in March, Stainrod's debut was at Spurs at the end of March, TK's was at Norwich in April. Hamson's was at Cardiff in October 1976

The new South Stand had just been built when I started going so missed out on the cricket. I've always thought if we'd kept the Lane as a cricket ground we wouldn't have had the financial problems we did have and that it could have been used for ODIs and eventually test matches due to the sheer size of the ground. A 50k ground would have been the biggest cricket ground in the country by a considerable distance and financially the ECB would have to put tests on at the Lane to maximise their profits (250k punters over 5 days, compared to say Headingley 65k punters over the same period, no brainer from a financial viewpoint).
Have always thought the South Stand was a big reason for the football club's decline and we wouldnt have sold Salmons in summer 1974

also the opening of the new south stand which some think was cursed due to ending cricket at the lane . which meant only seven seasons in top flight since over 45 seasons. after never finishing below 11th in second tier over 86 seasons
My physics teacher at High Storrs (Mr Hayes) used to ask me on a Monday morning whether I had been to that “palace of cricket vandalism” at the weekend...

If BDTBL had been kept as a cricket / football ground we would have still had a 3x sided ground unless a temporary stand was erected during the football season obviously not ideal
I doubt the stuffy old twats at the MCC / ECB in the 70s would have sanctioned test cricket in Sheffield

If BDTBL had been kept as a cricket / football ground we would have still had a 3x sided ground unless a temporary stand was erected during the football season obviously not ideal
That is true too. When we averaged 33,000 in 1971-72, the board thought it was time we built a 4th side. We didnt expect the attendance would drop by nearly 10K in the following season also we expected the stand to be ready for summer 1974 also the cost of building it was a lot more than expected. We hadnt foreseen that building a new stand would be lousy timing

If we’re going down the route of 75/76 the start of the decline, 82/83 the bottom,2027 is going to be a humdinger and I’m actually looking forward to it.

geoff salmons shouldnt have been sold for a start and that 74-75 team played some fantastic football all that was needed was to sign 2 quality players especially a quality striker and who did we sign chris f*****g guthrie from southend yet again a united board trying to do things on the cheap 🤨

I doubt the stuffy old twats at the MCC / ECB in the 70s would have sanctioned test cricket in Sheffield

They wouldn't have in the 70s, I was meaning test cricket in more recent times. The ECB would have definitely gone for it now, now that wonga is the be-all and end-all there. Cricket has been off terrestrial tv for 15 years thanks to the ECB chasing Sky's cash, they'd defo go for a test ground that held 50k to one that held 17k

Debts of the South Stand a milestone back then ....
Debts of PA having to buy back BDTBL, hotel & training ground now??
Spooky, hey?
UTB

My first game for United was against Ipswich in 76 we lost 2-1 were we 2 - nil down after 10 mins or did I dream that ? Only thing I can remember is being stood on the kop near white railings near the open bit ,any information anyone ?

Back
Top Bottom