One for Darren/other stattos...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

DazBlade88

Staff member
Reaction score
As Google hasn't really helped me, if you're able to fill in any of the blanks for United with numbers and dates, I'd be really grateful :)

Most league games in a row without conceding:

Most league games in a row without scoring:

Fastest ever league goal scored:

Youngest league goalscorer:

Oldest league goalscorer:

Highest scoring league game:

As Google hasn't really helped me, if you're able to fill in any of the blanks for United with numbers and dates, I'd be really grateful :)

Most league games in a row without conceding: Mark Howard broke that record this year

Most league games in a row without scoring: probably 1975-76

Fastest ever league goal scored: Ronnie Simpson (8 secs) in the 2-1 win at Burnley in October 1963

Youngest league goalscorer: ?

Oldest league goalscorer: Stuart McCall v Preston Nov 2003

Highest scoring league game: Blades 11 Cardiff 2 New Years Day 1926

Most league games without conceding: 8 08/02/14-17/03/14

Most league games without scoring: 6 20/10/1990-24/11/1990 and 04/12/1993-29/12/1993

Highest scoring league game: 11-2 v Cardiff City, 1/1/1926

Not sure on the other stats however.

Most league games in a row without conceding:

Most league games in a row without scoring:

Fastest ever league goal scored:

Youngest league goalscorer:

Oldest league goalscorer:

Highest scoring league game:

The quickest ever United goal is widely thought to be Ron Simpson at Burnley on 26/10/63 - 8 seconds I believe.

United's oldest league scorer is, I believe Stuart McCall, who was 39 when he scored against Preston on 29/11/03.

The youngest scorer is more difficult - our three youngest ever players - Hawes, Broddle and Reed - did not score. I suspect it is either Gary Hamson or Tony Wagstaff.

Edit: having checked on Google, Hamson was 17 yrs and 196 days when he scored v Cardiff on 8/3/77. I think it;s him.

The quickest ever United goal is widely thought to be Ron Simpson at Burnley on 26/10/63 - 8 seconds I believe.

I already answered that (and oldest scorer) over a hour before your reply and why "widely thought"?

I already answered that (and oldest scorer) over a hour before your reply and why "widely thought"?

Well you shouldn't post inside the box which quotes the original post and I might see it!

"widely thought" because no-one has accurately measured all the goals scored.

Well you shouldn't post inside the box which quotes the original post and I might see it!

"widely thought" because no-one has accurately measured all the goals scored.
Ok, I see. Can LSF describe the goal? The quickest I saw was Stewart Scullion in the 2-1 win at Newcastle on Boxing Day 1971. 21 seconds it was

Ok, I see. Can LSF describe the goal? The quickest I saw was Stewart Scullion in the 2-1 win at Newcastle on Boxing Day 1971. 21 seconds it was
We were right at the back of 'their end' and as I remember it Silent, we kicked off and a diagonal ball found Simpson running into the box from the left to hit a first time low shot into the corner past Adam Blacklaw.
We went 2-0 up in 8 minutes with Simpson scoring again I believe (without checking records, so I may be wrong).

We were right at the back of 'their end' and as I remember it Silent, we kicked off and a diagonal ball found Simpson running into the box from the left to hit a first time low shot into the corner past Adam Blacklaw.
We went 2-0 up in 8 minutes with Simpson scoring again I believe (without checking records, so I may be wrong).

Simpson did get the 2nd. A penalty I believe. We won 2-1.

The quickest goal I have ever seen was scored by Peter Withe at the Lane against Barnsley on 19/10/85 and it came from their kick off. They were attacking the Kop end and kicked off then played the ball out towards our left wing. Joe Bolton intercepted and knocked a first time ball down the wing which Edwards picked up. He got to around the edge of their area and crossed to the back post, where Withe nodded in. Around 10-15 seconds I reckon.

The quickest goal I have ever seen was scored by Peter Withe at the Lane against Barnsley on 19/10/85 and it came from their kick off. They were attacking the Kop end and kicked off then played the ball out towards our left wing. Joe Bolton intercepted and knocked a first time ball down the wing which Edwards picked up. He got to around the edge of their area and crossed to the back post, where Withe nodded in. Around 10-15 seconds I reckon.

Didnt go to that Barnsley game (I was a part-timer then). A friend remembers going to Exeter and just as he got into the ground, the first thing he saw was Tony Moore heading the ball into his own net (my friend was right behind the goal). Someone told him that it was a few seconds after the kick off. How many seconds was that?

Didnt go to that Barnsley game (I was a part-timer then). A friend remembers going to Exeter and just as he got into the ground, the first thing he saw was Tony Moore heading the ball into his own net (my friend was right behind the goal). Someone told him that it was a few seconds after the kick off. How many seconds was that?

Dunno, but I always thought it came off his arse :)

The Tony Moore goal was said in an old edition of Flashing Blade to have gone in after 12 seconds...they also said it went in off his arse.

That's a great description of the Withe goal, Darren - matches my memory of it . The Green Un that night said it took 18 seconds to score. That is the joint fastest goal I have seen scored for the Blades - Deano's goal at Oxford in the 4-2 win in September 1997 was also timed at 18 seconds, and was scored before an Oxford player had touched the ball.

The Tony Moore goal was said in an old edition of Flashing Blade to have gone in after 12 seconds...they also said it went in off his arse.

That's a great description of the Withe goal, Darren - matches my memory of it . The Green Un that night said it took 18 seconds to score. That is the joint fastest goal I have seen scored for the Blades - Deano's goal at Oxford in the 4-2 win in September 1997 was also timed at 18 seconds, and was scored before an Oxford player had touched the ball.

I saw the Oxford goal as well.

What's the quickest opposition goal scored? My memory may be deceiving me, but I think that Andy Barnsley own goal against Bradford at the Lane on 28/3/87 was scored straight from the kick off. Bradford kicked off, played the ball towards the right wing; their winger made tracks and crossed and Barnsley rose around the penalty spot and put a bullet like header past a bemused Burridge, right in the top right corner of the goal. A perfect centre foward's goal.

I saw the Oxford goal as well.

What's the quickest opposition goal scored? My memory may be deceiving me, but I think that Andy Barnsley own goal against Bradford at the Lane on 28/3/87 was scored straight from the kick off. Bradford kicked off, played the ball towards the right wing; their winger made tracks and crossed and Barnsley rose around the penalty spot and put a bullet like header past a bemused Burridge, right in the top right corner of the goal. A perfect centre foward's goal.

We have discussed this before but whilst it was definitely in the first minute, I don't think that Barnsley's fine header was straight from the kick off - it was more like 30 seconds in...I may be wrong though.

As for goals against,I think Nicky Cross's goal in our 0-1 defeat at Leicester in 1987-8 was scored in the first 20 seconds of the game, and possibly as early as 12 seconds. I will have to check my source material...

We have discussed this before but whilst it was definitely in the first minute, I don't think that Barnsley's fine header was straight from the kick off - it was more like 30 seconds in...I may be wrong though.

As for goals against,I think Nicky Cross's goal in our 0-1 defeat at Leicester in 1987-8 was scored in the first 20 seconds of the game, and possibly as early as 12 seconds. I will have to check my source material...

As I say, I wouldn't go the stake for it being straight from the kick off, but it was pretty quick. The best own goal I have ever seen, though (Stan's diving header v Preston on 8/4/89 comes a close secondl I didn't see the King goal at Reading on 23/3/83 which was, by all accounts, a cracker).

Fastest goal i've seen was Kevin Doyle's at the Lane in the Prem. 16 seconds.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/5330044.stm
The fastest goal in the 2nd half I saw was in our 2-0 home defeat against Derby in October 1995. We were losing 1-0 at halftime and we kicked off the 2nd half, a few touches and Nilsen tried to pass the ball to Alan Kelly (who has always been dodgy with backpasses) but Gabbidiani nipped in to put Derby 2-0 up. It seemed to take under 10 seconds!

United's oldest league scorer is, I believe Stuart McCall, who was 39 when he scored against Preston on 29/11/03.

The youngest scorer is more difficult - our three youngest ever players - Hawes, Broddle and Reed - did not score. I suspect it is either Gary Hamson or Tony Wagstaff.

Edit: having checked on Google, Hamson was 17 yrs and 196 days when he scored v Cardiff on 8/3/77. I think it;s him.
Simon Stainrod scored for us at Norwich in April 1976 aged 17 years 62 days.

Have been discussing this with Simon on Facebook today. He was told that he is the youngest scorer for us in the top division but not for any competitive games. Been trying to find out who was younger than him when he scored his first goal in a competitive game. Revolution may know?

I'd have thought Simon himself would have known.
His reply to me was "The ball sticking in the mud is one of my worst memories.
Re youngest scorer for 1st team, it only counts for me if it is in the top Division!"

I re-read the 2nd sentence and realised what he meant! So it is him!

Simon Stainrod scored for us at Norwich in April 1976 aged 17 years 62 days.

Have been discussing this with Simon on Facebook today. He was told that he is the youngest scorer for us in the top division but not for any competitive games. Been trying to find out who was younger than him when he scored his first goal in a competitive game. Revolution may know?
Regan Slater,in the EFL cup at Grimsby November 2016,was 17 years 60 days old. If that counts as a competitive game?

Back
Top Bottom