Once a Blade, always a Blade? - Where are they now?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Deadbat

Reaction score

A definitive and probably inaccurate guide to where ex SUFC players are now playing

I love the stuff Roygbiv does and I know he does a view from on both new players we sign and also on players who go out on loan or sometimes even have left us for good. I also admire and follow the work from Ball_Sup and his ‘firm’ in terms of following young squads and players.

Following on from that, I was looking at all the different transfers up and down the land and I was surprised to see where many former Blades actually are now plying their trade.

It got me thinking to see if I could track all the former Blades (why I have no idea) and so I started a list…..please add to this list as sure I have forgot some obvious ones

I have not counted players previously on loan with SUFC as that would double the list below but have noted some at the end of each division. I have counted players we currently have that have gone out on loan.

(*information is correct as of August 1st, 2019)

Premier League

Bournemouth – David Brooks, Simon Francis, Aaron Ramsdale
Burnley – Matthew Lowton
Everton – Dominic Calvert Lewin
Leicester – Harry Maguire
Manchester City – Kyle Walker
Southampton – Che Adams

Notes –
Gary Cahill is a free agent looking for a club. Phil Bardsley competes with Lowton for the Burnley right back slot. Cameron Carter Vickers remains at Spurs despite three loans at Championship level – he still has another two years left on his contract.

Championship

Charlton Athletic – Lyle Taylor
Fulham – Kevin McDonald
Hull City – George Long
Luton Town – Martin Cranie
Millwall – Ryan Leonard
Swansea – Kyle Naughton
Wigan – Lee Evans

Notes –
Gary Madine has of course gone back to Cardiff and is under contract till 2021. Nathaniel Mendez Laing remains with the Bluebirds. Harry Chapman signed permanently for Blackburn last year but still has been troubled with injuries. Kieran Dowell has moved to Derby on loan for the season. Nathan Dyer has re-signed for Swansea City. Paul Gallagher is still doing the business at Preston.

League One

Accrington – Seamus Conneely
Blackpool – Mark Howard
Bolton – Connor Hall
Bristol Rovers – Tyler Smith (on loan from SUFC)
Burton – John Brayford, Stephen Quinn, Kieran Wallace
Coventry – Kyle McFadzean
Doncaster – Ben Whiteman, Jamie Ward
Fleetwood – Paul Coutts, James Wallace
Ipswich – James Wilson
Rochdale – Matt Done, Rhys Norrington Davies (on loan from SUFC)
Sunderland – Marc McNulty (on loan from Reading)
Tranmere – Harvey Gilmour

Notes –
James Wallace was released by Fleetwood at the end of the season. Former Blades loanee Ethan Ebanks Landell has signed permanently at Shrewsbury. Ben Woodburn is now on loan at Oxford United. John-Joe O’Toole joins many former ex Blades at Burton. Former United loanee Alex Baptiste looks set to sign for Doncaster Rovers. Joe Mattock is at Rotheham. Jay O’Shea left amidst the turmoil at Bury and is playing for Robbi Fowler’s team Brisbane Roar in Australia.

League Two

Bradford – Clayton Donaldson
Carlisle – Stefan Scougall, Nathan Thomas (on loan from SUFC)
Cheltenham – Chris Hussey
Crewe - Chris Porter
Exeter – Jonathan Forte, Nicky Law
Grimsby – James Hanson, Elliott Whitehouse
Macclesfield – Joe Ironside
Mansfield – CJ Hamilton, Otis Khan, Jacob Mellis
Morecambe – Shaun Miller (on loan from Crewe)
Plymouth – Jose Baxter, Callum McFadzean
Scunthorpe – Andy Butler, Jo Cummings, Harrison McGahey, Jordan Hallam, Regan Slater (on loan from SUFC)

Notes – Samir Carruthers was recently on trial at Cambridge – it seems if he can find a club, United will allow him to move on despite having another year left on his deal. Joe Riley who was on loan with us briefly in League One is now at Bradford City. Dominic Poleon is at Crawley. Chris O’Grady is back at Oldham Athletic. Lee Martin is now at Exeter; he played for SUFC on loan under Bryan Robson. Jamal Campbelll Ryce was released by Stevenage.

Scotland

Premiership

Hearts – Connor Washington
Rangers - Jamie Murphy
St Mirren – Ryan Flynn and Stephen McGinn

Notes – Former loan flop James Wilson is at Aberdeen, Steven Davies the striker we had on loan is at Hamilton. Michael O’Halloran is at St Johnstone. Aidy White has signed for Hearts recently after a few years out of the game due to injury.

Scottish Championship

Queen of the South - Callum Semple

Notes - Andrew Davies the blonde centre back we had on loan from Boro is now at Dundee. Sean McGinty is at Patrick, Connor Sammon is at Falkirk in the Scottish League One.

Non league round up

National League:

Barrow – Oliver Greaves (on loan from SUFC)
Chesterfield – Sam Wedgbury
Fylde – Danny Philliskirk, Mark Yeates
Notts County – Michael Doyle, Kyel Reid
Stockport – Connor Dimaio
Yeovil – Craig Alcock
Harrogate – Lloyd Kerry, Jon Stead

National League North:

Boston United – George Willis, Jake Wright (on loan from York)
Chorley – Stephen Jordan
Guiseley – Kevan Hurst

Other Non League:

Basford United – Dominic Roma
Buxton – Diego DeGirolamo
Gainsborough – Kingsley James
Matlock – Nicky Travis
Sheffield FC – Adam Chapman

Notes : Curtis Woodhouse is manager at Tadcaster; Bob Harris was at FC United of Manchester last season.

Last edited:

Forgot....

League One

Oxford - Tony McMahon

Billy Clarke training with Bolton

Non league -

Matlock - Jordan Chappel
Stourbridge - Darryl Westlake

Overseas

Australian NPL John Cofie for Hume City and Will Hoskins for Northcote.

Colin Kazim Richards - Velacruz in Mexico

Nick Blackman - Maccabi Tel Aviv

Last edited:
Whole host of loans I forgot

Danny Batth - Stoke
Kyle Bartley/Matt Phillips - West Brom

Also on trial at Bradford Andy Taylor

Harry Bunn now at Bury.....Mark Bunn was at Villa.......any other Bunns...time for bed

Neil Collins is manager of Tampa Bay Rowdies.

A definitive and probably inaccurate guide to where ex SUFC players are now playing

I love the stuff Roygbiv does and I know he does a view from on both new players we sign and also on players who go out on loan or sometimes even have left us for good. I also admire and follow the work from Ball_Sup and his ‘firm’ in terms of following young squads and players.

Following on from that, I was looking at all the different transfers up and down the land and I was surprised to see where many former Blades actually are now plying their trade.

It got me thinking to see if I could track all the former Blades (why I have no idea) and so I started a list…..please add to this list as sure I have forgot some obvious ones

I have not counted players previously on loan with SUFC as that would double the list below but have noted some at the end of each division. I have counted players we currently have that have gone out on loan.

(*information is correct as of August 1st, 2019)

Premier League

Bournemouth – David Brooks, Simon Francis, Aaron Ramsdale
Burnley – Matthew Lowton
Everton – Dominic Calvert Lewin
Leicester – Harry Maguire
Manchester City – Kyle Walker
Southampton – Che Adams

Notes –
Gary Cahill is a free agent looking for a club. Phil Bardsley competes with Lowton for the Burnley right back slot. Cameron Carter Vickers remains at Spurs despite three loans at Championship level – he still has another two years left on his contract.

Championship

Charlton Athletic – Lyle Taylor
Fulham – Kevin McDonald
Hull City – George Long
Luton Town – Martin Cranie
Millwall – Ryan Leonard
Swansea – Kyle Naughton
Wigan – Lee Evans

Notes –
Gary Madine has of course gone back to Cardiff and is under contract till 2021. Nathaniel Mendez Laing remains with the Bluebirds. Harry Chapman signed permanently for Blackburn last year but still has been troubled with injuries. Kieran Dowell has moved to Derby on loan for the season. Nathan Dyer has re-signed for Swansea City. Paul Gallagher is still doing the business at Preston.

League One

Accrington – Seamus Conneely
Blackpool – Mark Howard
Bolton – Connor Hall
Bristol Rovers – Tyler Smith (on loan from SUFC)
Burton – John Brayford, Stephen Quinn, Kieran Wallace
Coventry – Kyle McFadzean
Doncaster – Ben Whiteman, Jamie Ward
Fleetwood – Paul Coutts, James Wallace
Ipswich – James Wilson
Rochdale – Matt Done, Rhys Norrington Davies (on loan from SUFC)
Sunderland – Marc McNulty (on loan from Reading)
Tranmere – Harvey Gilmour

Notes –
James Wallace was released by Fleetwood at the end of the season. Former Blades loanee Ethan Ebanks Landell has signed permanently at Shrewsbury. Ben Woodburn is now on loan at Oxford United. John-Joe O’Toole joins many former ex Blades at Burton. Former United loanee Alex Baptiste looks set to sign for Doncaster Rovers. Joe Mattock is at Rotheham. Jay O’Shea left amidst the turmoil at Bury and is playing for Robbi Fowler’s team Brisbane Roar in Australia.

League Two

Bradford – Clayton Donaldson
Carlisle – Stefan Scougall, Nathan Thomas (on loan from SUFC)
Cheltenham – Chris Hussey
Crewe - Chris Porter
Exeter – Jonathan Forte, Nicky Law
Grimsby – James Hanson, Elliott Whitehouse
Macclesfield – Joe Ironside
Mansfield – CJ Hamilton, Otis Khan, Jacob Mellis
Morecambe – Shaun Miller (on loan from Crewe)
Plymouth – Jose Baxter, Callum McFadzean
Scunthorpe – Andy Butler, Jo Cummings, Harrison McGahey, Jordan Hallam, Regan Slater (on loan from SUFC)

Notes – Samir Carruthers was recently on trial at Cambridge – it seems if he can find a club, United will allow him to move on despite having another year left on his deal. Joe Riley who was on loan with us briefly in League One is now at Bradford City. Dominic Poleon is at Crawley. Chris O’Grady is back at Oldham Athletic. Lee Martin is now at Exeter; he played for SUFC on loan under Bryan Robson. Jamal Campbelll Ryce was released by Stevenage.

Scotland

Premiership

Hearts – Connor Washington
Rangers - Jamie Murphy
St Mirren – Ryan Flynn and Stephen McGinn

Notes – Former loan flop James Wilson is at Aberdeen, Steven Davies the striker we had on loan is at Hamilton. Michael O’Halloran is at St Johnstone. Aidy White has signed for Hearts recently after a few years out of the game due to injury.

Scottish Championship

Queen of the South - Callum Semple

Notes - Andrew Davies the blonde centre back we had on loan from Boro is now at Dundee. Sean McGinty is at Patrick, Connor Sammon is at Falkirk in the Scottish League One.

Non league round up

National League:

Barrow – Oliver Greaves (on loan from SUFC)
Chesterfield – Sam Wedgbury
Fylde – Danny Philliskirk, Mark Yeates
Notts County – Michael Doyle, Kyel Reid
Stockport – Connor Dimaio
Yeovil – Craig Alcock
Harrogate – Lloyd Kerry, Jon Stead

National League North:

Boston United – George Willis, Jake Wright (on loan from York)
Chorley – Stephen Jordan
Guiseley – Kevan Hurst

Other Non League:

Basford United – Dominic Roma
Buxton – Diego DeGirolamo
Gainsborough – Kingsley James
Matlock – Nicky Travis
Sheffield FC – Adam Chapman

Notes : Curtis Woodhouse is manager at Tadcaster; Bob Harris was at FC United of Manchester last season.
Bloody hell that's done my head in. Didn't realise Stephen Quinn was still playing or Doyle or Mark Yeates. CJ Hamilton? Wasn't he here under Warnock? That's all pretty sad. A lot of talent that didn't make it. McFadzean was supposed to be a prospect. Never happened like De Giralamo. Players are temporary, fans are permanent. We're lucky that CW is a fan, that makes him permanent. I've had a few bevvies but we've come a long way.

Danny Batth had the shortest Blades career of all time.

Only played once when he came on as a substitute for about 30 seconds in injury time.

Really interesting reading all that Deadbat. Some have inevitably dropped down the ladder due to age, but it’s funny how is fans sometimes build these players up/beg for us to sign them not really knowing how good they are. You then look back after a year or two and see where they’ve ended up. I don’t think there’s one player on that list that I think we’ve ‘let slip through the net’ although I’d love to have Brooks in the side.

what about ones playing abroad, get your act together man, seriously very interesting to see where they all are, thanks

edit just seen a bit tagged on the end of a post

what about the other irish lad we had Mcallister

This is great. Nice one. I thought maybe Michael Tonge and JCR, but both were released at the end of last season (Port Vale and Stevenage) and as far as I can tell are without clubs.

If not for injuries what a pairing that could have been. Fleetwood – Paul Coutts, James Wallace.
But, as it is they’ll probably not play more than 4-5 games together. GLTTL’s.

Back
Top Bottom