Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

1946-47 season?
Believe your on the money again SB. According to the bible Feb 8, FAC 5thR,won 0-1 and Harold Brook the scorer in the second half. It's the only game of that period where the players match. Believe programme has United's full backs the wrong way round, normally it was 2 Furness, 3 Cox as it shows in the bible although It could have been a Davidson tactic as Fred was quite nippy and their No. 7 was more than quick.

Post #12,267 shows Cemetery Road coming all way down to the bottom with the other bank (Barclays?) that is now a Chinese firework shop. You can also just see the gable end of the Lansdowne pub

From memory it was a Midland Bank that then became HSBC

Yes Midland. Then Robert Brady’s, now Baan Thai restaurant.

And interestingly retains its old address. 1-3 Ecclesall Road. (confusing for taxis sometimes, as I've had people before ask for Ecclesall Road, then when on it, I ask how far up, and they say not sure, it's called Baan Thai)

I've been scanning my old photos (done about 50 of 1000) and found one of the old S&E...

img20190911_17321052.png

And interestingly retains its old address. 1-3 Ecclesall Road. (confusing for taxis sometimes, as I've had people before ask for Ecclesall Road, then when on it, I ask how far up, and they say not sure, it's called Baan Thai)

I've been scanning my old photos (done about 50 of 1000) and found one of the old S&E...

View attachment 61228

A comparison

DT7cGaQW0AEYJqg.jpg

Don't think it's the Arbourthorne. I grew up on their and can't see anything familiar in this picture.

I don’t really recognise the location, just a guess with the supposed S2 link. Just thought of near the shops and the AH.

Not exactly a photo, but this is the right place to post it so I'll take my chances with the Thread Police.

BBC iPlayer has a documentary on WWII from private hand held film archive.

38.05 mins in (runs for about 9 mins), is about the Sheffield Blitz including a quick shot of a bombed Lane. There is also a shot from Norfolk Park-ish area of the modern city including BDTBL but strangley connected to Broomspring Lane, Broomhall, where one of the people featured, was bombed.

On a scale of 'dull to stunning', I'd put it as 'quite interesting'.

If anybody does watch it, I'd be interested to know where the memorial for the unmarked graves is. It looks a bit like Crookes Graveyard but not quite right.

Back
Top Bottom