Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Johnny Fantham cut my hair a few times when i was a kid. Brownie Snr and most of the firemen at Sheffield Division Fire Station used to be regulars in there as it was just down the road.

He was actually a decent bloke, used to talk to me about Sheffield football when he used to cut my hair.
Ditto

Johnny Fantham cut my hair a few times when i was a kid. Brownie Snr and most of the firemen at Sheffield Division Fire Station used to be regulars in there as it was just down the road.

He was actually a decent bloke, used to talk to me about Sheffield football when he used to cut my hair.

I was a regular in JF's. He had a foreign guy, Steve I think he was called, who was great for some football banter. 15 minute hair cut, 45 minute argument :)

Bert would get a triple like for the cricket one if it were possible.

For all the stickball experts, is that Phil Sharpe taking another fine catch?

Isn't that John Hampshire next to him? Boycs was saying how good JH was at slip only last week.

I was a regular in JF's. He had a foreign guy, Steve I think he was called, who was great for some football banter. 15 minute hair cut, 45 minute argument :)
Yes, Steve. And there was farooq too who had the window chair. and another bloke who's name I never remembered who had the middle chair.

They were playing Derbyshire in that photo. Presumably Jimmy Binks keeping wicket.

So who was Yorkshire playing in the other photo. I suspected it might be Yorkshire v The Australians at Bramall Lane in 1948, but trying to be a clever arse and posting the cricinfo link to the scorecard, i found out it wasn't that game as on the scoreboard is says the last man was out for 63, and nobody was dismissed for 63 in that match.

a.jpg
Happy autograph hunting days for me!

english-league-division-two-match-at-bramall-lane-sheffield-united-entxkd.jpg

What was the story behind the old wing on John Street, from personal memory it had been a condemned section of the ground ever since I've been going to the Lane
I sat on that wing when we beat Luton 2-1 in February 1971 and clearly remember Woody's 2nd goal. I was right behind him when he took the corner and he raced towards the 6 yards box to blast the ball into the net (11mins 37 secs in below video). A few years later this wing was closed for safety reasons

I agree

Always liked it when we had that cricket pavillion, if the game was a bit dull any "hard" away fans in the bramall lane end would run round and through the pavillion and attack the side of the kop. The kop hoolies would then chase them back to where they had come from and so it would go on, to and fro every few minutes, more interesting than one or two games on the pitch. I particularily remember a Chelsea match like this but there were many. The game would finish with the customary "you're gunner get yer fukin eds kicked in" and that would often happen somewhere near the corner of john street and bramall lane a few minutes later.

Roof was added to the Kop in 1935 so it was before then

I thought we'd pinned the date of this photo on another thread some time back? Its a very big crowd, and the trees are in leaf? is it an FA Cup Semi-Final?

The other thing that may date it is that there is no ten yard radius arc drawn from the penalty spots....when did they start drawing that on the pitch?

(ps otherwise known as the 'D' - I'm tired)

Last edited:
I thought we'd pinned the date of this photo on another thread some time back? Its a very big crowd, and the trees are in leaf? is it an FA Cup Semi-Final?

The other thing that may date it is that there is no ten yard radius arc drawn from the penalty spots....when did they start drawing that on the pitch?
The cricket wickets look well worn, can't be cup semi final. More like August or September.

(ps otherwise known as the 'D' - I'm tired)
Possibly when we played Spurs in August 1933. See video below

Agree with Bert that the photo is probably August or Sept as the cricket pitch looked worn

Penalty arc was introduced for the 1937-38 season

It would've been difficult, but very cool if we'd managed to somehow incorporate the cricket stand into a modern stadium. It's before my time, but would've been a great piece of history and added cracking character to our already impressive stadium.

That brings back so many memories. My Mum and Dad had a parking space under the South stand for around 2 seasons. My Mum used to sit on the JJS at the BL end and my Dad stood on the Terrace. As a kid I could never understand why were weren't allowed to sit in the JS "Wing".

I also remember leaving games a few mins before the end and walking round the running track on inside of the ground (in front of the away fans) to get back to the car. Timing was everything as we had to time it perfectly so we saw the final whistle!

I reckon a bloke actually thought he could still do that on Satdi just after the 2nd went in!

Saw India at the lane late 60s boiling hot day sat on the Kop steps.
Remember a spin bowler called Bedi sporting the turban.
Great pictures by the way Bert

Back
Top Bottom