Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Black & white doesn't lend itself very well to tangerine shirts and socks, does it!

Did we use them anywhere else?
This colour. Dont know where we got this kit from. I was at the match but over the years I had forgotten that we wore this kit until in the 1990s I saw a photo of this match. Dont think the colour is the same as the tangerine shirts we wore at Newcastle in 1961

1645916373747.png

Thank you so much for posting this snippet of Blades history.
Poignant, for me on two levels.
Firstly because of the first hand account of how good Jimmy Hagan was. Blades top player, witnessed in many games and in my life time.
A brief mention of Alex Forbes there, us Balades go on about selling off our best players, well Forbes, to Arsenal, and Eddie Shinwell, to Blackpool in the late 40's was as bad a move as Jones & Birchinall going for the money instead of building a strong competitive side.
Secondly as 1947 was the year I started going to the lane, I may add with the help of mi granddad, albeit, only to reserve games.
Thanks again, by the way try a moderately warm iron on the news paper, test an unimportant piece first, sure it will give your gem a new lease of £'s.:)

Len de Goey was 'sold' to the fans as a wonderful Dutch winger and a replacement for Woody.

He wasn't remotely either of those things and another notorious signing to 'help' us on our way to the Fourth Division.
Yeah, he was exceptionally poor in the days of some really poor players. Although I seem to remember him scoring in a 4-0 (5-0?) win against somebody or other.....

Yeah, he was exceptionally poor in the days of some really poor players. Although I seem to remember him scoring in a 4-0 (5-0?) win against somebody or other.....
The bad old days, or at least a warm up for the bad old days, de Geoy was one of a few players in that team, I and many others were waiting to come good, other than floating in some decent corners, I can't remember him doing much at all, oh and no from memory we never scored from his corners either!

The bad old days, or at least a warm up for the bad old days, de Geoy was one of a few players in that team, I and many others were waiting to come good, other than floating in some decent corners, I can't remember him doing much at all, oh and no from memory we never scored from his corners either!
I might be miles out here but anyway …… late 70’s I think, and we played Barnsley away and the open away end behind the goal was packed. I was only a youth so fairly near the front. An uninspiring 0-0 if I remember and the only highlight in a shit match was a Blades player completely mis kicking a glaring chance from about the penalty spot. For some reason it’s alway Len de Goey who I think missed the sitter. Am I going insane ? (Radio …. for all you rockers out there !)

I might be miles out here but anyway …… late 70’s I think, and we played Barnsley away and the open away end behind the goal was packed. I was only a youth so fairly near the front. An uninspiring 0-0 if I remember and the only highlight in a shit match was a Blades player completely mis kicking a glaring chance from about the penalty spot. For some reason it’s alway Len de Goey who I think missed the sitter. Am I going insane ? (Radio …. for all you rockers out there !)
Tried googling it, but not got anywhere, hopefully Silent jumps in with the details,,,played away at Chesterfield, might have been the Anglo Scots Cup? Or a pre season game, weird kick off time, not a night game,, it being mid week and going with the lads from work,, seem to remember De Geoy missing an absolute sitter, oh and we lost!

I think it was Pedro Verde

That’s probably right ! I knew it was one of the foreign players. It was a midweek night match I think too .
Only memory of Verde is him scoring a stunning goal in a friendly, long high ball to him, chested it up, waited for it to drop and volleyed it in from outside the box.

Len de Goey was 'sold' to the fans as a wonderful Dutch winger and a replacement for Woody.

He wasn't remotely either of those things and another notorious signing to 'help' us on our way to the Fourth Division.
What a terrible player - along with Pedro Verdi

Back
Top Bottom