Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

You didn’t get that in photo format from our mutual friend, postman and collector for deaf charities dd you Peter?

I got one from him in the Heeley and Sheffield one Sunday lunchtime but declined a go on his 1-30 ticket.....
No, I have never bought anything from him. He got banned from the Central Deaf Club in the 1980s and 1990s for using their charity box without the club knowing that he had one for years! He is now retired and now lives in Leicester

What a night that was. My old dad was on nights and mum woke me and my sister in the night to go downstairs as she was worried by the increasing wind. We could hear tiles falling of the roof and the house was shaking. When it became light it seemed the whole street was out looking at the damage and wondering what to do. I think people were in shock. I can remember going to school and was blown across the field between our our house and the school. About ten turned up out of a class of 48 (yes,48) 😀

My mum used to care for a frail old lady down our road, one of a team of three neighbours. She went down to check on her very early in the morning, let herself in and found the old girl fast asleep, snoring loudly, surrounded by the remains of most of her roof and chimney stack. Never heard a thing…

Can’t ever remember a wilder storm, ridge tiles everywhere, guttering hanging off, trees down, Hunter’s Bar looked like a war zone, quite a night. Got to school at High Storrs and watched the biggest lad in our year being bowled across the yard by one gust, he later joked it was down to his lack of streamlining!

My mum used to care for a frail old lady down our road, one of a team of three neighbours. She went down to check on her very early in the morning, let herself in and found the old girl fast asleep, snoring loudly, surrounded by the remains of most of her roof and chimney stack. Never heard a thing…

Can’t ever remember a wilder storm, ridge tiles everywhere, guttering hanging off, trees down, Hunter’s Bar looked like a war zone, quite a night. Got to school at High Storrs and watched the biggest lad in our year being bowled across the yard by one gust, he later joked it was down to his lack of streamlining!
There’s been quite a few wilder storms these past two years hey

Look North did a bit of a feature on the Sheffield Hurricane last night, most of the old photos showed damage to the old prefabs,,brought a few memories back re the walk to/from School and the hundreds of prefabs just below Athelstan School
Rather too many of you are talking about having gone to school. I went down to the Lane to look at the floodlight, and I was assuming it was half-term. Perhaps I went to school and found it was closed…

During that storm, I was living in an Airey house ( mass produced after the 2nd world war - built to last 21 years) on top of a hill in a village in between Harrogate and Leeds. It always rattled in the wind but that night the whole house was shaking. Mum and Dad put myself and my brother under a table downstairs. It was terrifying. In the morning we found that half of the tiles on the front of the house and been ripped off and were lying in the field behind the house

I wasn’t allowed to go to school in the morning, my mum thought it was still too dangerous, she walked me there for the afternoon though through debris and bits of trees.

Back
Top Bottom