Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Late 20s, possibly 1930
1933-34 season. Relegation for the 1st time in our history
Couples of names are written in, the 3rd from the left is Teddy Davison, the manager, and over on the right, the guy peering over someone's shoulder is Fred Tunstall, trying to clean the photo up, and read some more names

Couples of names are written in, the 3rd from the left is Teddy Davison, the manager, and over on the right, the guy peering over someone's shoulder is Fred Tunstall, trying to clean the photo up, and read some more names
Back row; ?, Bert Williams. Harry Hooper, Bobby Barclay

Front row; ?, Bill Brelsford, Teddy Davison, Tommy Johnson (I think), Harry Johnson snr (I think), ?, ?, Jack Kendall, Tommy Sampy, Fred Cheesemur, Bert Oswald, ?, ?, Fred Tunstall you said but he never played a 1st team match under Davison, ?, George Hall, Jack Pickering, George Green, Bernard Oxley, Harry Gooney, ?

1621012403486.png

Back row; ?, Bert Williams. Harry Hooper, Bobby Barclay

Front row; ?, Bill Brelsford, Teddy Davison, Tommy Johnson (I think), Harry Johnson snr (I think), ?, ?, Jack Kendall, Tommy Sampy, Fred Cheesemur, Bert Oswald, ?, ?, Fred Tunstall you said but he never played a 1st team match under Davison, ?, George Hall, Jack Pickering, George Green, Bernard Oxley, Harry Gooney, ?

View attachment 112888
Hooper, Pickering, Oxley and Green, match the names written in, if you look close you can see part of the name above Hooper, others have faded, just visible, will happily take your word for the others.

Has a inked stamp on the back, Frank H Brindley, photographic journalist, Abbeydale rd. It was given to my dad back in the 50s, no idea regards the reasoning for the photo, it's obviously more organised/posed than someone trying out their new camera, did wonder if it was before a big game or away trip

Has a inked stamp on the back, Frank H Brindley, photographic journalist, Abbeydale rd. It was given to my dad back in the 50s, no idea regards the reasoning for the photo, it's obviously more organised/posed than someone trying out their new camera, did wonder if it was before a big game or away trip
Billy Boyd not there, he left Clyde for us in December 1933. Jack Smith (our keeper for 31 games that season) isnt in the photo too

was at that quarter final how we didnt beat leeds that day i will never know think we hit post and crossbar 3 times and 1 kicked off the line

I think Addison hit the woodwork three times with one shot we were that unlucky. 13,000 Blades on that big open end and the two big Tannoy-branded louspeakers churning out such golden oldies as "Don't stop the Carnival" by The Alan Price Set :)

Billy Boyd not there, he left Clyde for us in December 1933. Jack Smith (our keeper for 31 games that season) isnt in the photo too
Just read that Hooper was at the Lane for 17 years, a heavy smoker, that always had a cig at halftime & According to Wiki, such a heavy smoker, that only Jack Smith would room with him on away trips

Just read that Hooper was at the Lane for 17 years, a heavy smoker, that always had a cig at halftime & According to Wiki, such a heavy smoker, that only Jack Smith would room with him on away trips
Hooper's son Harry jnr was in the England squad for the 1954 World Cup. He passed away last August aged 87

1621017552095.png

I was at that game in 1964 and was stood behind the Lane end goal when Mick hit the ball. The goalie had it covered until it took a big deflection off the defender totally wrong footing him. I was 15 at the time and it was the last live Blades game I saw for 44 years as the following day our family migrated to Australia. The next time I saw them live was on a trip to the UK in 2008. It was the first home game of the season and they beat QPR 3-0 with Billy Sharp scoring a hat trick. To add icing to the cake it was my 60th birthday - a perfect birthday present.

i remember him from the 60s at owlerton used to be in first pairing him with the blue helmet clive featherby with the red helmet often a 5 - 1 start for the tigers
Len rode for the Tigers c1950 and eventually went to Leicester around '52 when the government of the time slapped Entertainment Tax on speedway thus causing the Tigers to close.
He may have well rodden in the '60's but I had moved out of Sheffield and have no knowledge of that.
He was my JH of speedway and more often than not scored maximums in the home meetings.
I have a little more detail of him but cannot put my hand on it at this time. Apologies.
In place of LW info a couple of photos of a crash I have remembered all these years, mainly because all four riders went down. Do not remember the visitors or date.
The visitors have White & Black Yellow, home Red & Blue helmets, with the crash happening1st bend lap one.No 3.jpgNo 5-Sheffield Speedway 4 rider crash.jpgNo 9 Sheffield Speedway 1950 aftermath of 1st bend 1st lap 3 ridercrash this must be before 4t...jpgNo 5-Sheffield Speedway 4 rider crash.jpg

Len rode for the Tigers c1950 and eventually went to Leicester around '52 when the government of the time slapped Entertainment Tax on speedway thus causing the Tigers to close.
He may have well rodden in the '60's but I had moved out of Sheffield and have no knowledge of that.
He was my JH of speedway and more often than not scored maximums in the home meetings.
I have a little more detail of him but cannot put my hand on it at this time. Apologies.
In place of LW info a couple of photos of a crash I have remembered all these years, mainly because all four riders went down. Do not remember the visitors or date.
The visitors have White & Black Yellow, home Red & Blue helmets, with the crash happening1st bend lap one.View attachment 112946View attachment 112948View attachment 112949View attachment 112948
yeah just checked think it was len silver who i was thinking of other riders in that era were guy allott tony robinson len kitchen and dent oliver great days stood on the first bend at owlerton

yeah just checked think it was len silver who i was thinking of other riders in that era were guy allott tony robinson len kitchen and dent oliver great days stood on the first bend at owlerton
Could have been stood together at some point, remember when there hadn't been any rain for some time, track was dry, so when they came round bend everyone was covered in red dust.
Fellers who raked track spent lots of time watering the track for the crowds benefit.
I was 9-10 at that time, very exciting times and filled in the summer whilst no footy.
Remember Guy & Tommy Allott, didn't realise Dent Oliver had ridden for the Tigers, came out of retirement 1963, top rider in his prime.
At some point in early 50's Sheffield became the 'Tars' with an Anchor on their bibs believe it only lasted one season, and for what reason I don't know.

Last edited:

Arnie Haley and Reg Wilson kneeling, Bob Paulsen (sp.?) on the bike, Only remember Flyer and Frank Varey standing. Is it Dave Baugh with the glasses ?
I found two other, and better, photos with the line ups on them but could not get them to load.
Line up on our photo - back - Promotor(presumably)-Bob Valentine- Bert Harkins-Raider Eide- Doug Wyer-Frank Varey(manager) and the three in front your spot on

Back
Top Bottom