Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Yes, Silent , I remember that match very well. I was invigilating an Exam at a Sheffield College and , secretively, tuned in to a small radio in my pocket to listen to 'Lunchtime Scorecard'. Unbeknown to me I had left it on full volume and when I switched it on 24 students jumped out of their seats as the reporters' voice kicked in announcing the above mentioned snowstorm. I was very relieved to find,later, that all 24 had passed their Exam.

Same for the 1966 World Cup Final I suppose. I've known it snow in June but not July.
Would it be something to do with televising? Did the ball stand out better on those old black and white TVs with the slightly fuzzy pictures that we had in those days (and continued to have at our house, from Radio Rentals, until the mid 70s).

Attachments

• 1971-72 Aug 21 A V Everton W 0-1 HT0-0 Woodward-photo2.jpg
    1971-72 Aug 21 A V Everton W 0-1 HT0-0 Woodward-photo2.jpg
    272.9 KB · Views: 1
Playing with an orange ball in August?
When I was young and stupid, I went to the sty with a piggy mate a couple of times, it would be about 1970, I always supported the opposition, and the pigs always played with a yellow football even in the early part of the season.
Orange balls weren’t that uncommon in those days.

Would it be something to do with televising? Did the ball stand out better on those old black and white TVs with the slightly fuzzy pictures that we had in those days (and continued to have at our house, from Radio Rentals, until the mid 70s).

Good point. Even so, nobody (apart from a Russian Linesman) could tell if the orange ball was over the line.

When I was young and stupid, I went to the sty with a piggy mate a couple of times, it would be about 1970, I always supported the opposition, and the pigs always played with a yellow football even in the early part of the season.
Orange balls weren’t that uncommon in those days.
I've had a few orange balls back int day. Wearing those baggy football knickers in -5 degrees.

Oh yes, the radio rentals tv with a slot to put a tanner in. watching football or a good film. the bleeding thing cuts off.

Found this photo which brings two questions for myself.
ONE, the white building above the railway engine, described as a train at source :rolleyes: , I read as "Swanville Inn". Am I correct and any info welcome, cannot find it in PubOEC book. Over to you 'Sean Thornton' as you've shown to have detailed knowledge of the area in the past. Thank you.
TWO, knowing there are steam engine enthusiasts on here, am I reading the engines name as "Cape Coral", correctly. Thank You also.View attachment 110691
Bit late with a bit of useless info XM, but the loco shown was like most of the LMS Pat's class, based in the North West, the one in the photo was Preston based, I believe.
They were like the Jub's (Jubilee class) that operated in our region, the stock LMS express train of its time. Hence the unusual sight of a Pat class in our region

Bit late with a bit of useless info XM, but the loco shown was like most of the LMS Pat's class, based in the North West, the one in the photo was Preston based, I believe.
They were like the Jub's (Jubilee class) that operated in our region, the stock LMS express train of its time. Hence the unusual sight of a Pat class in our region
Never too late, always better than never, Aye! mi gran ma, she had some reight good sayings, God bless her.

Never too late, always better than never, Aye! mi gran ma, she had some reight good sayings, God bless her.
I think I read somewhere that this particular loco finished its days at Bristol Bath Road shed where I suppose it would be used for cross country workings, SW/NE trips which is why it would have been in Sheffield.
As a side, a new loco build of this class, Patriot Class is being built for main line use as none of the class was preserved. It will be named The Unknown Warrior. Have a look at lms-patriot.org.uk

I think I read somewhere that this particular loco finished its days at Bristol Bath Road shed where I suppose it would be used for cross country workings, SW/NE trips which is why it would have been in Sheffield.
As a side, a new loco build of this class, Patriot Class is being built for main line use as none of the class was preserved. It will be named The Unknown Warrior. Have a look at lms-patriot.org.uk
Most interesting and worthwhile project, SW. I wonder if 5519 was a football special that particular day !

Most interesting and worthwhile project, SW. I wonder if 5519 was a football special that particular day !
Quite possibly although I would think it would more likely be a Bristol to Newcastle working or similar.
I have a photo in a book somewhere of the same loco being serviced at Millhouses shed.

LMS_'Patriot'_4-6-0_entering_Manchester_Victoria_railway_station_2093405_f54a59c7 (1).jpgLMS-Patriot Project-2021.jpgI had to include the black & white photo so evocative of a bygone age.

View attachment 111074View attachment 111077I had to include the black & white photo so evocative of a bygone age.
Getting nearer to home XM, what about the Jub class that used to fly thro Heeley station, rattle past Skelly's and under Havelock bridge en route to the Midland. With name plates young schoolboys would marvel at, from the Caribbean, Canada and Southern Africa.
Those were the days, time was endless and the Blades always won at home.

Getting nearer to home XM, what about the Jub class that used to fly thro Heeley station, rattle past Skelly's and under Havelock bridge en route to the Midland. With name plates young schoolboys would marvel at, from the Caribbean, Canada and Southern Africa.
Those were the days, time was endless and the Blades always won at home.
A bloke I knew told me that he’d learnt most of his world geography from the Jubilee class nameplates.

Yes, XM ,the Goalie above is ,obviously, Hodgy. Is the other player Gerry Summers?
Yes, I believe your spot on there.
When in my late teens, I had a photo of Hodgy, diving, at full stretch and horizontal, ball in hands, cap on. Anyone got a copy and could put it on here, have mentioned this previous.
On finding this photo, it made me think maybe the diving photo was taken at the same period as memory says he had the same sox on. Red with white turn overs. He seemed to wear that style sox from around 58-59 when the team wore, black/R&W tops and red/R&W tops. Later the team wore, red with 2 white hoops he wore White with 2 red hoops and visa versa. I've always thought it was an idiosyncrasy he had over soxs worn. Anyone know more?1959-60 Feb 20 5thR FAC H V Watford W 3-2 HT1-2 Pace-3.jpg1960'ish LtoR Hodgy-Graham Shaw-Gerry Summers believe V Leicester at Filbert St to check (2).jpg1964-65 Oct 17 A V Blackburn Rovers L4-0 HT2-0 photo LtoR Mathewso Mike EnglandBR Birchinall H...jpg1964-65 Sept 5 A V SWFC W 0-2 HT0-1 Birchenall-2.pngRun cursor over photos and should get match details.

Yes, I believe your spot on there.
When in my late teens, I had a photo of Hodgy, diving, at full stretch and horizontal, ball in hands, cap on. Anyone got a copy and could put it on here, have mentioned this previous.
On finding this photo, it made me think maybe the diving photo was taken at the same period as memory says he had the same sox on. Red with white turn overs. He seemed to wear that style sox from around 58-59 when the team wore, black/R&W tops and red/R&W tops. Later the team wore, red with 2 white hoops he wore White with 2 red hoops and visa versa. I've always thought it was an idiosyncrasy he had over soxs worn. Anyone know more?View attachment 111117View attachment 111118View attachment 111120View attachment 111121Run cursor over photos and should get match details.
Second photo is at Orient in 1962-63 season. Orient wore blue shirts at the time

image.jpg

His bertship’s original old photo for no reason whatsoever is no longer viewable.

Can it be restored?

Back
Top Bottom