Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Didn't realise I had these, they probably came from Richie Humphreys great uncle .... sorry for the sideways and upside down effort that's going on.

Attachments

• 20210211_185443.jpg
    20210211_185443.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 28
  • 20210211_185500.jpg
    20210211_185500.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 28
  • 20210211_185517.jpg
    20210211_185517.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 23
  • 20210211_185529.jpg
    20210211_185529.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 25
  • 20210211_185535.jpg
    20210211_185535.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 27

Didn't realise I had these, they probably came from Richie Humphreys great uncle .... sorry for the sideways and upside down effort that's going on.
Great to see these, used to have the JH one but went missing with best part of my 1950's Subbuteo set. Was in the box.

Three photos from Abbeydale Road, Nov 1988.
The first two show the corner with Marden Road, with work underway to remove my childhood playground- the "cliffs" as we called them. A fair few years earlier, the plot used to be occupied by a long, thin petrol station attended to by two white-coated chaps, with a shot from the Redex can ready at hand. Now it's a hand car wash.

Abbeydale Road C Nov 1988.jpg

Abbeydale Road B Nov 1988 .jpg

The last photo below was taken from the bottom of Edgedale Road towards town. As long as I can remember, Lowe's has been there.
There also used to be a traditional police box set in that stone wall in front of the trees - one of scores dotted around the neighbourhoods of Sheffield.

Abbeydale Rd A  Nov 1988 .jpg

The first two show the corner with Marden Road, with work underway to remove my childhood playground- the "cliffs" as we called them. A fair few years earlier, the plot used to be occupied by a long, thin petrol station attended to by two white-coated chaps, with a shot from the Redex can ready at hand. Now it's a hand car wash.

View attachment 105380

View attachment 105381

The last photo below was taken from the bottom of Edgedale Road towards town. As long as I can remember, Lowe's has been there.
There also used to be a traditional police box set in that stone wall in front of the trees - one of scores dotted around the neighbourhoods of Sheffield.

View attachment 105382

Second photo. The shops not in view. The first shop is a second hand furniure place. I think it belongs to a Blade.

Further along in the 1960's there used to be a newsagents 'Hassocks' (?) I used to buy Jimmy Hill's Football Weekly from there. Still have them all - not sure if they worth owt.

Great photos, with proper shirts on as well.!
With adaptable sleeve length, non of yer long/short sleeves. Mind they got heavy on a rainy day, like the shorts, had to hope the elastic was serviceable other wise they finished around the knees. o_O

Second photo. The shops not in view. The first shop is a second hand furniure place. I think it belongs to a Blade.

Further along in the 1960's there used to be a newsagents 'Hassocks' (?) I used to buy Jimmy Hill's Football Weekly from there. Still have them all - not sure if they worth owt.
Must be many photos in your JHFW that would be of interest on here. If you have the time, please, Thank you.
Great photos by the way, recording Sheffield in the late twentieth century.

View attachment 105380

View attachment 105381

View attachment 105382
Great nostalgia as always, however and apologies for being pedantic, but November doesn’t seem right, trees still in leaf & no leaves on the floor?

Great nostalgia as always, however and apologies for being pedantic, but November doesn’t seem right, trees still in leaf & no leaves on the floor?
You make a fair point there DAG. I'm going on what I scribbled on the back of the photos at the time. In those days of course, you still sent films away to be developed, so maybe there's a week or two's leeway.
And while I'm here ...Bornablade....in the late fifties, the second hand shop on the corner which you mention was our local bakery. The far end was a bank and the newsagent next to it (Yeadon's) was run by an old couple. They also ran a small "Abbeydale lending library" from within. I've got a couple more pics showing the shops in later years somewhere.

You make a fair point there DAG. I'm going on what I scribbled on the back of the photos at the time. In those days of course, you still sent films away to be developed, so maybe there's a week or two's leeway.
And while I'm here ...Bornablade....in the late fifties, the second hand shop on the corner which you mention was our local bakery. The far end was a bank and the newsagent next to it (Yeadon's) was run by an old couple. They also ran a small "Abbeydale lending library" from within. I've got a couple more pics showing the shops in later years somewhere.

Thanks for that. The 'Hassocks' I was thinking of moved to a newsagents on Machon Bank. That might have been in the 1990's.

Look forward to seein your other photos.

I think Sharps fruit & veg shop is still there a couple of doors up from Lowes?

TC lived on the Gosforth Valley at that time. Is that Dronfield or Dronfield Woodhouse?
Dronny Woodhouse. Even blander than the rest of it! Sorry to people who live there now, but in my formative years it really was Yawnsville Central!

I know its that lot and I've nicked it off owlstalk but a great photo. No postponments due to frozen pitch in them days.​

torryowl

• Sheffield Wednesday Board Member

• torryowl
  • 12,591 2
  • 19,405 posts
Posted 21 hours ago
had to be a foot deep to be called off back in the day of when men were men ....the great ron totally fearless
1963-12.01-v-Sheff-Wed-Midland-Foot-Annual (1).jpg

Was there a reason why we went with white shorts and socks for the home kit in 93? This looks so much better.
Good question. I always thought it looked much better with black too. Maybe if we had gone with black shorts rather than white we wouldn’t have got relegated 😉

View attachment 105380

View attachment 105381

View attachment 105382
I remember it well. We lived on Archer Lane so we used to trudge down Edgedale Road to the shops. Wards the Grocers and Fletchers the butchers.

Loving these! never seen them before (and I have quite a big collection of Blades ephemera).

Anyone know which edition of the Telegraph & Star they came with?

UTB

View attachment 105380

View attachment 105381

View attachment 105382
Last Photo, heading up towards Woodseats Rd, on the right hand side of the photo, Gerry Summers and Doc Pace co owned a sports shop. This being mid /late 60’s, think it’s a hairdressers now.

I know its that lot and I've nicked it off owlstalk but a great photo. No postponments due to frozen pitch in them days.​

torryowl

• Sheffield Wednesday Board Member

• torryowl
  • 12,591 2
  • 19,405 posts
Posted 21 hours ago
had to be a foot deep to be called off back in the day of when men were men ....the great ron totally fearless
1963-12.01-v-Sheff-Wed-Midland-Foot-Annual (1).jpg
Only 5 matches played on that Saturday

Dronny Woodhouse. Even blander than the rest of it! Sorry to people who live there now, but in my formative years it really was Yawnsville Central!
My connection with DW, and I mean the old part, Carr Lane top to the concrete houses roughly, was '57-'61. I never lived there.
I had some good, summer time, Saturday and the odd Sunday nights in the Miners Arms, mainly, with the odd visit to the Heart of Oaks over that period.
If memory serves me right there wasn't even a shop there then but the folk were ok and I got to know a few quite well.

Back
Top Bottom