Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I remember a snooker hall somewhere on Cambridge Street, gandhi.
I've found this image that shows one but it's in the building which was higher up, above Leah's yard which is the one I'm probably thinking of.
Whether there was also one in the building you refer to, I wouldn't know. I thought that used to be just another factory. I'm pretty sure other members on here could give a more definitive answer though.

View attachment 97614
This pic is from the early 1960's I believe.
Lillywhite Froud's, sports suppliers, was above the vehicle entrance, centre photo. Bought mi cricket equipment from there.

I remember a snooker hall somewhere on Cambridge Street, gandhi.
I've found this image that shows one but it's in the building which was higher up, above Leah's yard which is the one I'm probably thinking of.
Whether there was also one in the building you refer to, I wouldn't know. I thought that used to be just another factory. I'm pretty sure other members on here could give a more definitive answer though.

View attachment 97614
This pic is from the early 1960's I believe.
Reference the snooker hall, if memory serves, believe there was one on Burgess St., if so could it be this is the one you're thinking of?

Cracking picture WB, I think it was on Gilbert Street, Park Hill flats in the background, I was under the impression it closed due to bomb damage during WW2, but it looks like it's still trading at that time they built the flats

It was. The Landlord was Colin Hardy who moved to the Link and was there for many years.

I seem to remember a report that during the minutes before kick -off of the match when the Hungarians beat England 6-3 ,in 1953, one of our players laughing scornfully said," Look at that little , fat , inside left." The little ,fat inside left went on to score 2 goals inside the first 25 mins , or so, and England were 4-1 down by then. The man in the photo above scored a hat trick. For those who aren't aware I refer to Puskas and Hidegkuti,of course.

The deep lying number 9 and the England defenders didnt know who they should be marking
Not only England. How they never won the'54 World Cup, but that's the Germans for you, all history now.
Found this, says Amsterdam XI V Budapest XI but yet Hidegkuti and Puskas are in Hungarian kits. The team in white I don't recognise, badge either and the sox are some what unusual to me.
Eastern European architecture catches the eye, functional plus what looks like a cycle track, multi purpose.Voetbal_Hongaars_elftal_tegen_Amsterdamse_elftal_4-1,_Bestanddeelnr_906-4659.jpg

I seem to remember a report that during the minutes before kick -off of the match when the Hungarians beat England 6-3 ,in 1953, one of our players laughing scornfully said," Look at that little , fat , inside left." The little ,fat inside left went on to score 2 goals inside the first 25 mins , or so, and England were 4-1 down by then. The man in the photo above scored a hat trick. For those who aren't aware I refer to Puskas and Hidegkuti,of course.
You Remember right, with one of his goals a pullback leaving Wright on his arse then slotted it in at the near post.
Didn't the press call him the 'Galloping Major'? Reason being he was a major in the Hungarian Army.

Yes, XM657, Puskas was known as the 'Galloping Major'. Like many of the Hungarian side he played for Honved , who were the Army side. They played several matches against Wolves (a top side in the fifties) and they were televised , in black and white , of course. What an absolute treat , in those days.

Yes, XM657, Puskas was known as the 'Galloping Major'. Like many of the Hungarian side he played for Honved , who were the Army side. They played several matches against Wolves (a top side in the fifties) and they were televised , in black and white , of course. What an absolute treat , in those days.
Did you watch the T/V Wolves game. We didn't have a tele. then but my mate, ten houses up the road did, so I watched it there, amongst many other sporting events. England regaining the Ashes. Le Mans, Athletic meetings, Derek Ibbotson, Yorkshire lad and Gordon Pirie who could chase the clock but not so hot at racing.wolves-v-honved.jpg

WCF 1954 G Walter and D Puskas,.jpgWhilst I'm at it- WCF 1954 W Germany3 V Hungary 2.
These two teams played one another in the early rounds of the finals with Hungary winning 8-3 they also beat South Korea 9-0 in the early rounds, Brazil 4-2 in the quarter finals and Uruguay 4-2 in the semis.

Did you watch the T/V Wolves game. We didn't have a tele. then but my mate, ten houses up the road did, so I watched it there, amongst many other sporting events. England regaining the Ashes. Le Mans, Athletic meetings, Derek Ibbotson, Yorkshire lad and Gordon Pirie who could chase the clock but not so hot at racing.View attachment 97880
Wolves became George Best's favourite club after watching this football match on tv at his friend's house

View attachment 97888Whilst I'm at it- WCF 1954 W Germany3 V Hungary 2.
These two teams played one another in the early rounds of the finals with Hungary winning 8-3 they also beat South Korea 9-0 in the early rounds, Brazil 4-2 in the quarter finals and Uruguay 4-2 in the semis.
Fritz Walter and Ferenc Puskas. The ref was from England and he disallowed a late equaliser from Hungary.

View attachment 97888Whilst I'm at it- WCF 1954 W Germany3 V Hungary 2.

Is it just me or is there homo-erotism subtly at work in this pic?

Back
Top Bottom