Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

View attachment 96659
Map of where the bombs fell in mid December over 2 nights in 1940. The Luftwaffe obviously had it in for the Blades as they got part of the stand at the Lane, direct hit on the Marples, that sold Magnet, and took the top floors off the Cossack and Black Swan, strange nothing fell north of the dog trackView attachment 96659
Just seen this and reminds me of what my Dad told me about the bombing of Sheffield. He was there. Bear with me as I may go on a bit. The Germans knew Sheffield as "the city on wheels" because they couldn't find it, hard to believe I know. One of the reasons was because whenever they were on their way, the factories would begin belching out Black smoke which, due to the topography of the city, would shroud the place in smog, resulting in it being hidden. My dad lived at Wisewood and they always knew the Germans were heading this way because the Loxley Valley works would begin producing black smoke which would then drift down the valley and over the city. This was before the sirens sounded. More often than not, they were heading for Manchester or Liverpool but that wasn't known at the time.

If you look at the map of the bombs, it gives a clue as to how they eventually found Sheffield..........they followed the railway tracks up from Derby which explains the first bombs hitting Millhouses, the city centre getting the brunt of the attack and the heavy industry of the east end being pretty much missed completely. It was always fascinating to chat to my dad about the war and he remembered the Sheffield blitz clearly, the devastation it brought to families who lived in the city but the total lack of effect it had on Sheffields ability to keep producing steel for the war effort.

There were also fake Sheffields. It was a closely guarded secret at the time but they built them on the moors. I don’t know how many but I believe one was on the moors between Curbar and Sheffield. The idea was to look like part of the city, with fake buildings (probably just tent type structures) and a few lights so that from a height the bombers would think they’d seen a factory and drop the bombs on the moors.

There’s a bit more about it here

There’s a bit more about it here

Interesting stuff BB, my dad never mentioned that to my recollection. He did however, mention that his mother, my Nan, kept a huge carving knife next to the door to the front room with the promise that the first German who walked through the door would get it. That always amused me but also brought home that people lived in genuine fear of being invaded. That’s quite a sobering thought.

Missed it , along with the Liverpool game two days before, due to family holiday at Pontins Southport.

I had the face on all week.
Was supposed to return to my boarding school at the end of the summer holidays on the night we played Liverpool but my dad told my principal that the family were "on holiday" until the first weekend of September. I was able to watch the home games against Liverpool, River Plate and Palace (I wasnt to know that it would be Woody's last home game)

Was supposed to return to my boarding school at the end of the summer holidays on the night we played Liverpool but my dad told my principal that the family were "on holiday" until the first weekend of September. I was able to watch the home games against Liverpool, River Plate and Palace (I wasnt to know that it would be Woody's last home game)
What a week. The first half felt as if we were on the way to something special, beating the European champions and mixing with the South American champions, buying foreign players when this was still unusual. By the end of the week things did not feel as promising, and as became clear very quickly, we were soon on our way to Divisions 3 and 4. Worth remembering that the season in Division 4 was memorable for good reasons; relegation is horrible, but years of having no ambition beyond avoiding relegation would be no fun either (not that that is the club’s ambition at the moment). Relegation is not the end of the world.

Interesting stuff BB, my dad never mentioned that to my recollection. He did however, mention that his mother, my Nan, kept a huge carving knife next to the door to the front room with the promise that the first German who walked through the door would get it. That always amused me but also brought home that people lived in genuine fear of being invaded. That’s quite a sobering thought.
Being born 1942 the war consumed my early life and a thing I sensed from my family was exactly the same as your Nan, if they had got here, God help them.

I remember a snooker hall somewhere on Cambridge Street, gandhi.
I've found this image that shows one but it's in the building which was higher up, above Leah's yard which is the one I'm probably thinking of.
Whether there was also one in the building you refer to, I wouldn't know. I thought that used to be just another factory. I'm pretty sure other members on here could give a more definitive answer though.

View attachment 97614
This pic is from the early 1960's I believe.
Is that where Gilders started ? ,I always thought it was the top of Bannerdale. God know what will happen to that building ,quite unique for sheffield.

Is the building still there or has it been demolished & rebuilt on?
Demolished, I would have pointed it out if not. never the less I will look if there are any photos.
My memory of the place, remember Satdi night around about 9pm, jam packed, passage way from door to bar with rooms off to L&R. We always stood in passageway, also packed and if a nice night people spilling on pavement. 4th photo, a A35 for Col. Custer's delectation.The Moor -Travellers Rest 141-143.jpgThe Moor - Travellers Rest 12 Dec 1940.jpgThe Moor - Travellers Rest 141-143.jpgThe Moor -Travellers Rest and junction with Cumberland St 1965 March.jpgThe Moor Travellers Rest and junction with Hereford St.jpgThe Moor -Travellers Rest.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom