Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Wonder how many on here have ever clocked in ? When I worked in walshs warehouse it was 7 am but you had 3 minutes grace , I always made it for 7.02. Then started queuing at 3.50 for a 4.00 getaway.
Was a code clock-in when I did my summer at Sutherlands Foods in the 90s.

British Gas were just phasing theirs out when I joined. In the project to change over to the new digital system we found a bloke who clocked in 15 minutes early every morning, out 10mins late and back in 10mins early at lunch and then out 20 mins late at the end of the day. Nobody knew who he was. Turns out he’d had a job somewhere else in Manchester City Centre for 3 years and nobody noticed!!!!

Was a code clock-in when I did my summer at Sutherlands Foods in the 90s.

British Gas were just phasing theirs out when I joined. In the project to change over to the new digital system we found a bloke who clocked in 15 minutes early every morning, out 10mins late and back in 10mins early at lunch and then out 20 mins late at the end of the day. Nobody knew who he was. Turns out he’d had a job somewhere else in Manchester City Centre for 3 years and nobody noticed!!!!
I knew someone like that. For 23 years every day he would clock off pick up his barrow and leave. Security guard use to stop him every day because he knew he was up to something dodgy and check his barrow and bag but never found owt. He retired and one day the Security Guard saw him having a pint so went over to ask him. He said for 23 years I searched your bag and barrow coming out of work and never found anything and I know you where nicking something you can tell me now what was it.....

Barrows.

Up to that point it's simply sock suspenders and cravat.
Bert is still in his smoking jacket and silk pyjamas. Unfortunately he has to go out tonight for an important occasion and he's going to miss the second half. 😕

Bert is still in his smoking jacket and silk pyjamas. Unfortunately he has to go out tonight for an important occasion and he's going to miss the second half. 😕

I'm led to believe that Bert's 'important occasion' was the post lockdown re-opening of the dart board at the Black Bull .

Obviously , such an occasion would not require him to make a change to his preferred early evening attire and am sure that this would have been widely admired by the other customers .:)

I'm led to believe that Bert's 'important occasion' was the post lockdown re-opening of the dart board at the Black Bull .

Obviously , such an occasion would not require him to make a change to his preferred early evening attire and am sure that this would have been widely admired by the other customers .:)
I've sourced Bert's Christmas present.

31RP4WyCjqL._AC_.jpg

Excellent as per. but where's this feller goneView attachment 86034?
Yes, I know, XM657, photography was never my strong point! I was taking into the sun, I trying to keep it to a minimum, honest Guv.
Anyway, I think I've found him, albeit at a distance, on this shot, taken on that gloomy day in Feb 1987.
I've also only just noticed on this pic, the "Fiesta" night club sign is still up - On my original, I can just make it out. I'm pretty sure it closed a few years before that date.

Gloomy day Feb 1987.jpg

Yes, I know, XM657, photography was never my strong point! I was taking into the sun, I trying to keep it to a minimum, honest Guv.
Anyway, I think I've found him, albeit at a distance, on this shot, taken on that gloomy day in Feb 1987.
I've also only just noticed on this pic, the "Fiesta" night club sign is still up - On my original, I can just make it out. I'm pretty sure it closed a few years before that date.

View attachment 86035
Had the magnifying glass out, he's but a mere dot.
Believe your right about the Fiesta sign, strange as it may sound my memory tells me the same ref it being up long after closure.
Regarding the headless Town Hall shot , does your camera only work in a horizontal position? :) Coz mine does horizontal and vertical.;)
On research of Vulcan, the Roman god, found the Romans held a festival on Aug. 23rd called 'Vulcanalia'. Recon if put to S.C.C. they'd go for a day off for everybody in Sheffield. Aug. 23rd is a date of significance in my life so from now on will celebrate Vulcanalia with nearest and dearest

More photos from City Plaza, overlooking the Church St/Leopold St roundabout. (now The Balance) in Nov 1986.
First looking towards Woodside and Pitsmoor.
Second down Church St.
Finally, along Leopold St, with Orchard Sq in progress.

View attachment 85962

View attachment 85963

View attachment 85964
Looks like that was when they were creating Orchard Square. I assume these were from the roof, how did you get there? Did you work in the building?

I still haven't completely caught up with thread (I'm on page 850) but there was a discussion about The Marples and Magnet at some time between regular posters, which was resolved from a photo taken from Flat St. Here is another one that I've just come across but taken from The Bell I guess.

Attachments

• IMG_0060.JPG
    IMG_0060.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 56
Great photos. Sheffield has changed a lot since 1985.all those flat at pitsmoor have gone.most of Hyde park.

He was in on location filming Avengers Endgame
Excuse my ignorance what is this "Avengers Endgame"? If a young Honour Blackman is in it I'll have some o' that, if that smarmy so and so who plays the Stead character is in it that'd be a large No No.

Back
Top Bottom