Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I must ask, are you Tony of Mosborough? Also what about the chip shop on Shoreham St opposite the Kop? Won an award a few years back. If you are Tony I have sampled your fare and it is most fair, all be it a while ago.
No mate. I am not Tony of Mosborough, neither am I a friend or relative. I have no "disclosures" to make in that regard.

I went to Westfield School at Mosborough in the 1970's. Like many other kids, I eschewed the school dinner and got a letter from my parents to request an exeat from school to allow me to wander off into the village of Mosborough at lunchtimes to sample the various culinary delights on offer.

A favourite was Davy's bakers, who used to do "Halfie's and chips". This was a loaf, any loaf, pick your own, cut into half and filled with chips - wanton disregard for carbohydrates obviously! But there were 3 other tempting options, the "Pop-in Cafe" - a place where you could get a "Steak Canadien" for example, and some frozen chips. Or, there were 2 very good chip shops then. One was on the main street opposite the church. I can't remember what it was called, but it's under the "Admiral" franchise now and has been for some years. It was run by a lovely lady with hair as pure as driven snow, with a slight hint of a blue rinse. That was another popular choice. And then there was Tony's, on the back street, walking there took another 10 minutes off your lunch break, but for a special treat it was worth it.

Truth be told, I've only really resurrected my affection for Tony's fish and chips in the past couple of years. On starting work, in Sheffield City Centre, my favourite chippy became the Harlequin Chip shop on Howard Street. I was gutted the day that closed down (about 15 years ago now). It was a Sheffield institution and owner Bill Green was a minor celebrity and a very nice man. He would roar, "CHIPS", when a new pan of chips was ready. And the ladies who worked there...oh boy! A mostly elderly crew, proper "Sheffield" they were, kind and eccentric darlings. Eating in meant you got a little pewter tea pot of tea, that came scalding hot and impossible to pour without spilling it, and one and half slices of bread and marg. But their fish and chips were delicious.

Having lived all over the UK and abroad for the past God knows how many years, "fish and chips" has not played a big part in my life tbh. When I was a kid it was just about all I ate. But I do appreciate good, traditional fish & chips - I may have them once or twice a month, quite often on match days. The one I go to most often perhaps is Margaret's, off Whit Moor, near Chesterfield. It's only open at lunchtime and it's a pain queuing up because it's a tiny little place. It can take half an hour to get served, but their quality is excellent. They don't fry in beef fat though.

I think it was something I read on the Sheffield Forum thing a few years ago, under the "best chip shop in Sheffield" where Tony's of Mosborough, had several really positive mentions. I thought to myself..."Wow! is that place still going?" And I decided to give it a try one Saturday lunchtime for a change. As I say, that's within the last 2 years, or 2 seasons to be more precise! It's still very good. Tony has moved on but the lad who's took it on is turning out the same top quality fish and chips and they definitely cook in beef fat. Which means Petunia doesn't like it! But I bloody love it!

Wouldn't doubt your choice for the no. 9 shirt but had look at Spurs forward line that day and discovered a Jimmy G Robertson.View attachment 84583 A Scottish winger who wouldn't be wearing the 9 shirt unless Bill Nick got his numbers askew that day. He held a unique record for North London. Over the years few players played for Spurs and Arsenal, which Robertson did. He was the only player to score for both teams against both teams until Adebayor achieved it in 2012. He had some success with Spurs, photo 2View attachment 84584 Third photo took my eye purely for the badge design, Mr Robertson again.View attachment 84585 Final photo for Bert, there is an outside possibility he my not have seen it before, and I'm not a betting man.View attachment 84587
Bert hasn't seen that one before, thank you.

No mate. I am not Tony of Mosborough, neither am I a friend or relative. I have no "disclosures" to make in that regard.

I went to Westfield School at Mosborough in the 1970's. Like many other kids, I eschewed the school dinner and got a letter from my parents to request an exeat from school to allow me to wander off into the village of Mosborough at lunchtimes to sample the various culinary delights on offer.

A favourite was Davy's bakers, who used to do "Halfie's and chips". This was a loaf, any loaf, pick your own, cut into half and filled with chips - wanton disregard for carbohydrates obviously! But there were 3 other tempting options, the "Pop-in Cafe" - a place where you could get a "Steak Canadien" for example, and some frozen chips. Or, there were 2 very good chip shops then. One was on the main street opposite the church. I can't remember what it was called, but it's under the "Admiral" franchise now and has been for some years. It was run by a lovely lady with hair as pure as driven snow, with a slight hint of a blue rinse. That was another popular choice. And then there was Tony's, on the back street, walking there took another 10 minutes off your lunch break, but for a special treat it was worth it.

Truth be told, I've only really resurrected my affection for Tony's fish and chips in the past couple of years. On starting work, in Sheffield City Centre, my favourite chippy became the Harlequin Chip shop on Howard Street. I was gutted the day that closed down (about 15 years ago now). It was a Sheffield institution and owner Bill Green was a minor celebrity and a very nice man. He would roar, "CHIPS", when a new pan of chips was ready. And the ladies who worked there...oh boy! A mostly elderly crew, proper "Sheffield" they were, kind and eccentric darlings. Eating in meant you got a little pewter tea pot of tea, that came scalding hot and impossible to pour without spilling it, and one and half slices of bread and marg. But their fish and chips were delicious.

Having lived all over the UK and abroad for the past God knows how many years, "fish and chips" has not played a big part in my life tbh. When I was a kid it was just about all I ate. But I do appreciate good, traditional fish & chips - I may have them once or twice a month, quite often on match days. The one I go to most often perhaps is Margaret's, off Whit Moor, near Chesterfield. It's only open at lunchtime and it's a pain queuing up because it's a tiny little place. It can take half an hour to get served, but their quality is excellent. They don't fry in beef fat though.

I think it was something I read on the Sheffield Forum thing a few years ago, under the "best chip shop in Sheffield" where Tony's of Mosborough, had several really positive mentions. I thought to myself..."Wow! is that place still going?" And I decided to give it a try one Saturday lunchtime for a change. As I say, that's within the last 2 years, or 2 seasons to be more precise! It's still very good. Tony has moved on but the lad who's took it on is turning out the same top quality fish and chips and they definitely cook in beef fat. Which means Petunia doesn't like it! But I bloody love it!
Extremely interesting, glad you got that off your chest.:)
My connection with Tony's is through our eldest son, who's company when in Halfway had standing bulk orders there. On occasions when with his mother and I and F&C were on the agenda, he would drive out to Tony's rather than use a local F&C shop and well worth the extra effort.

Bert's memory seems to think we also beat Birmingham 6-0 a week or two later.
Got to say I’ve got a livelong distlike of Spurs dating back to 78 when we fought to the last man on the Park Lane conceding defeat half way through the second half

Got to say I’ve got a livelong distlike of Spurs dating back to 78 when we fought to the last man on the Park Lane conceding defeat half way through the second half
Bert's first ever hero was Jimmy Greaves, he still has a soft spot for them even though he had bottles chucked at him as he boarded the coach after our 2-1 League Cup defeat in 1971.

Bert's first ever hero was Jimmy Greaves, he still has a soft spot for them even though he had bottles chucked at him as he boarded the coach after our 2-1 League Cup defeat in 1971.
We all have our heroes being a keeper mine was Gordon Banks the ultimate

Back
Top Bottom