Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Heeley Bottom, Aug 1985. It was shopping area already becoming bleak by then.
30 years earlier, as a young lad, my mum would often walk me down Broadfield Road to do regular Saturday morning shopping along there. First, past the occasion dead cat left outside Heeley Baths boiler room coal shute, waiting for cremation. Then, past the Express Dairy cow and the milk crate shuttle. Maybe a bag of chips from one of the 5 chippies on the way back.
A little older and I'd be alternating my Sat morning matinee trips between the Abbeydale, Coliseum, and Palace .

Heeley Bottom 1 Aug 1985.jpg

Heeley Bottom 2 Aug 1985.jpg

30 years earlier, as a young lad, my mum would often walk me down Broadfield Road to do regular Saturday morning shopping along there. First, past the occasion dead cat left outside Heeley Baths boiler room coal shute, waiting for cremation. Then, past the Express Dairy cow and the milk crate shuttle. Maybe a bag of chips from one of the 5 chippies on the way back.
A little older and I'd be alternating my Sat morning matinee trips between the Abbeydale, Coliseum, and Palace .

View attachment 84339

View attachment 84340
Walked down here the other day and it really is bleak now. I wonder what could be done to help revive the area? There are some really nice old buildings, especially close to the junction of Wolsley Road.

Walked down here the other day and it really is bleak now. I wonder what could be done to help revive the area? There are some really nice old buildings, especially close to the junction of Wolsley Road.
Hi S64 Blade, yes it's certainly bleaker still now.
There were some plans published around last year showing some small improvements to pedestrian and traffic flow. I guess they are on hold for now. See map below. Major reconfiguring is of course limited by the river and railway bridges.
Other than that, ths best, in my opinion, is to just flatten most of the buildings , except the ones with character which you mention, and just landscape along the corridor. The current businesses might not see it as a good idea though.

20200701_111432.jpg

View attachment 84339

View attachment 84340

I spent many hours on a Saturday in the early 1960's walking from my Grandmothers House on Spencer Road Heeley down Gleadless Road to the Heeley Bottom Shops. I remember just across from the Sheaf View pub on Gleadless Road there were many shops the first one as you came down Anns Road was a sweet shop where I was always allowed to chose something. Probably to keep me quiet as my mother and grandmother dragged me along the whole of Heeley Bottom for a few hours.

We passed many shops before we got to the bottom shame there are no pictures of these anymore.

There were some plans published around last year showing some small improvements to pedestrian and traffic flow. I guess they are on hold for now. See map below. Major reconfiguring is of course limited by the river and railway bridges.
Other than that, ths best, in my opinion, is to just flatten most of the buildings , except the ones with character which you mention, and just landscape along the corridor. The current businesses might not see it as a good idea though.

View attachment 84342
Same here in 1955, might even have walked past each other, my father sometimes worked the signal box at Heeley Bridge, you went through a gate at the side of what was the Post Office to get to it. I think the old PO is a scrap yard now, we used to catch the train to town from Heeley station around that time also. As you say might as well turn Heeley Bottom into a decent bypass now. Top of Heeley Bottom, used to love it

View attachment 84342
Thanks for that. I actually think that the removal of traffic flow gantries has helped a bit too. But I think you're right, demolition of a number of the properties could be the best bet.

Interestingly, there's currently an effort from local MPs to reopen some of the local stations, including Heeley. I saw on the Skyscraper City forum that the old entrance, which was formerly bricked up, has now been reopened, so I suspect there's some form of surveying work underway.

If this was to go ahead then it would make the surrounding area more attractive to developers. I suspect either way, we will likely see more residential properties appear in the area over the coming years (there's a fairly large plot empty at the bottom of Broadfield Road).

View attachment 84339

View attachment 84340

Can you remember where the chippies were? I love a good chippie, especially if they fry in the increasingly rare beef dripping. Am a bit of a Gravy snob mind, prefer lighter colour, medium to runny consistency, slightly peppery and loads of it. The dark brown glutinous blobs seen in some places can only be tolerated by being watered down with vinegar. Down here beans are the rarity.. if you’re popping through on the way to Kazakhstan or Amsterdam then VC Jones in Whitstable fry’s in beef, still has a rear area to sit in and has been in the same family since 1962. A National inventory standard of chippie.

Any tips for beef frying chippies in Sheffield as am up next week for first post Covid visit and could use some decent chips?

Thanks for that. I actually think that the removal of traffic flow gantries has helped a bit too. But I think you're right, demolition of a number of the properties could be the best bet.

Interestingly, there's currently an effort from local MPs to reopen some of the local stations, including Heeley. I saw on the Skyscraper City forum that the old entrance, which was formerly bricked up, has now been reopened, so I suspect there's some form of surveying work underway.

If this was to go ahead then it would make the surrounding area more attractive to developers. I suspect either way, we will likely see more residential properties appear in the area over the coming years (there's a fairly large plot empty at the bottom of Broadfield Road).

It's an area of poor housing and high ethnic population, which doesn't help. I think the only attraction to developers would be more cheap housing and flats. It's a bit of an Asian ghetto around there now, such a shame. I occasionally walk around that area and it doesn't feel safe, not even in broad daylight.

Can you remember where the chippies were? I love a good chippie, especially if they fry in the increasingly rare beef dripping. Am a bit of a Gravy snob mind, prefer lighter colour, medium to runny consistency, slightly peppery and loads of it. The dark brown glutinous blobs seen in some places can only be tolerated by being watered down with vinegar. Down here beans are the rarity.. if you’re popping through on the way to Kazakhstan or Amsterdam then VC Jones in Whitstable fry’s in beef, still has a rear area to sit in and has been in the same family since 1962. A National inventory standard of chippie.

Any tips for beef frying chippies in Sheffield as am up next week for first post Covid visit and could use some decent chips?

Yes. Tony's of Mosborough. That's the only one I can say with certainty still uses beef fat. And the fish and chips are consistently good. I've no idea what his gravy is like because I don't think it goes with fish.

https://www.tonysfishandchips.co.uk/

I suspect, (but I'm not sure), that Whitby's off the Parkway may fry in beef fat as well? I went there with my dearest Petunia last year and she wasn't keen on their fish and chips because she said they smelled funny. That's usually a sign that Petunia has detected beef fat. I thought they were good - but not as good as Tony's of Mosborough.

The other one that I tried recently, due to some fine upstanding chap on here making a recommendation, was Manor Chippy. Again, I'm not certain they cook in beef dripping, but they were good fish and chips, especially the fish, which was the size of a housebrick, but not as good as Tony's of Mosborough.

1593665015895.png

1593665265824.png

Speaking of "fish & chips" in Sheffield made my memory flash back to this place, the old "Rag & Tag" market. I remember being dragged around there as a kid with me mam and there was a strong smell of fish and chips in the air. I don't know where the chippy was, but it must have been nearby?

The thing I remember most about it was a fat lady in a brass weighing chair. I bet she knew where the chippy was! 😀

View attachment 84339

View attachment 84340
Reading this and other replies brought back memories of my 50s/60s childhood around Heeley.
My mum regularly dragged me from top of Myrtle Rd to the paper shop at the bottom of Well Rd, which I believe was owned by former Blade, Harold Brook. Why my little legs had to walk all that way I didn't understand (it was the return journey that killed me!), as there were several newsagents on the way down
Thing is, she never actually went in Brooks newsagents, but disappeared up a flight of stairs at the side, always ordering me to wait there and don't move.
Five minutes later she'd reappear and off we'd go to scale the hill back up to Heeley Green to shop.
A few years later we stopped making this arduous (to little me) journey. I discovered the mystery staircase lead to an illegal bookies and my mum was placing bets for her, my dad and several aunties, this in the day when off course betting was against the law.
Once it was legalised, betting shops sprung up all over Heeley, mostly independent back then.
Conveniently for me, (and my mum), Woolhouses, who also had newsagents around Heeley, opened one at the corner of Heeley Green and Denmark Rd, saving my legs innumerable miles for a few years to come.

Yes indeed CB, I think I can remember them all.
The 5 chip shops I used on various occasions were as shown on this modern day google earth shot. (Excuse my banana fingers annotating.)
A was on the corner of Clyde Road and Broadfield Rd.
B was just nearer town than the Sass shop near the Abbeydale , at the side of the little gennel that took you (still does) down to Broadfield Road.
C was on Abbeydale Road just Bedale Road junction.
D was very near the top of Broadfield Rd.
E was on Abbeydale Rd opposite the school.
All long gone as chip shops of course but B and E are physically still there as buildings.
By far the best was C, always cooked to perfection in the traditional way.

20200702_075813.jpg

And not one of them on their mobile phone. Happy days. Can't believe you'd get into the ground these days with some of the objects carried, and even one with a clapper.
Any idea if it was taken in Sheffield? A couple on the front row with suitcases. Might have been the pre Goodison's Guerillas Persil voucher away week end.

Broomheads on Crookes (nr Grindstone) pretty sure they are purveyors of beef dripping fried fayre.

Also, try Pontus @ Totley Rise - not sure about beef dripping but nevertheless excellent F&C.

View attachment 84415

View attachment 84416

Speaking of "fish & chips" in Sheffield made my memory flash back to this place, the old "Rag & Tag" market. I remember being dragged around there as a kid with me mam and there was a strong smell of fish and chips in the air. I don't know where the chippy was, but it must have been nearby?

The thing I remember most about it was a fat lady in a brass weighing chair. I bet she knew where the chippy was! 😀

Top photo, before social distancing.

1593691615254.png

Not such an old photo, but just about the only one I could find of Marsh Lane Filling Station near Eckington.

For years it was a BP garage when I was a kid. The owner was a farmer by the name of George "Jud" Mallender. A kindly man with a pleasant demeanour who always wore a flat cap at all times! He used to have a mynah bird in a cage in the filling station. It was a local celebrity in its own right because of the things it came out with when customers went inside to pay for their petrol (or 2 stroke, or diesel or paraffin). It would say "hello" and "thank you" - but its best line was..."Aren't we talkin'?" That used to get everyone looking around and bursting into laughter.

1593691947272.png

Blades 1936 FA Cup final.
View attachment 84283
What a gem HB, bit late with deserved praise but phone line U/S since Sunday till yesterday afternoon. There are probably more photos as I have seen a couple of others with some of these characters in them.
Little feller with suitcase reminded me of old man Mottram with his subs suitcase, anyone remember?

Last edited:
Yes. Tony's of Mosborough. That's the only one I can say with certainty still uses beef fat. And the fish and chips are consistently good. I've no idea what his gravy is like because I don't think it goes with fish.

https://www.tonysfishandchips.co.uk/

I suspect, (but I'm not sure), that Whitby's off the Parkway may fry in beef fat as well? I went there with my dearest Petunia last year and she wasn't keen on their fish and chips because she said they smelled funny. That's usually a sign that Petunia has detected beef fat. I thought they were good - but not as good as Tony's of Mosborough.

The other one that I tried recently, due to some fine upstanding chap on here making a recommendation, was Manor Chippy. Again, I'm not certain they cook in beef dripping, but they were good fish and chips, especially the fish, which was the size of a housebrick, but not as good as Tony's of Mosborough.
I must ask, are you Tony of Mosborough? Also what about the chip shop on Shoreham St opposite the Kop? Won an award a few years back. If you are Tony I have sampled your fare and it is most fair, all be it a while ago.

Looks like Gilzean when he had some hair.
Wouldn't doubt your choice for the no. 9 shirt but had look at Spurs forward line that day and discovered a Jimmy G Robertson.Jimmy Gillian Robertson Spurs and Arsenal.jpg A Scottish winger who wouldn't be wearing the 9 shirt unless Bill Nick got his numbers askew that day. He held a unique record for North London. Over the years few players played for Spurs and Arsenal, which Robertson did. He was the only player to score for both teams against both teams until Adebayor achieved it in 2012. He had some success with Spurs, photo 21967 J G Robertson on right in photo with cup.jpg Third photo took my eye purely for the badge design, Mr Robertson again.Jimmy Gillian Robertson Spurs Arsenal Ipswich and Stoke plus Scottish clubs.jpg Final photo for Bert, there is an outside possibility he my not have seen it before, and I'm not a betting man.Jimmy Robertson on left centre ask Bert and right Gillzine possibly (2).jpg

Back
Top Bottom