Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

In those days I was too shy to play the guitars in store, as I only knew a handful of chords! Used to just stand staring at them!

And now you do C, F and G7 in front of the whole family on Christmas Day eh? Me too!

Yes, its amazing looking back on it that Banks were once regarded as legitimate, high street businesses; now we all know they are pyramid selling schemes - just complicated multi-dimensional houses of cards.

The old dear clearly didn't take the No Entry sign seriously either.

And now you do C, F and G7 in front of the whole family on Christmas Day eh? Me too!

Don't get me started on F! Shit chord. Avoid F. F has ruined the careers of millions of putative guitar players.

John Harris with his beige cardy under his jacket!

That's what I loved about JH. No flash, just comfortable in that off white cardy. Confident in his own ability.

View attachment 21165

A couple of mine. And I still can't play F properly after over 40 years!

Nice! I have a 100 watt Laney combo, valve pre-amp, Marshall pedals mainly, also assorted practice amps, most of which want binning. About a dozen electric guitars, of varying makes and cost, including an original mid 70's Hagstrom "Jimmy" James D'Aquisto, which I paid £250 for and was offered two grand by a jazz guitarist a year later

hagstrom-jimmy-01.jpg

My go to guitar is a Burns Marquee, dead easy to play

Burns-Marquee-Electric-Guitar-Rezomatik-Pickups-Silver.jpg

Got a cheap SG copy, cheap Strat copy and a cheap Tele copy, all three I took to bits, put new pickups, wiring, bridge, etc., just for fun, quite enjoyed it.

Anyway, back to United...........;)

Nice! I have a 100 watt Laney combo, valve pre-amp, Marshall pedals mainly, also assorted practice amps, most of which want binning. About a dozen electric guitars, of varying makes and cost, including an original mid 70's Hagstrom "Jimmy" James D'Aquisto, which I paid £250 for and was offered two grand by a jazz guitarist a year later

hagstrom-jimmy-01.jpg

My go to guitar is a Burns Marquee, dead easy to play

Burns-Marquee-Electric-Guitar-Rezomatik-Pickups-Silver.jpg

Got a cheap SG copy, cheap Strat copy and a cheap Tele copy, all three I took to bits, put new pickups, wiring, bridge, etc., just for fun, quite enjoyed it.

Anyway, back to United...........;)

God that Hagstrom looks awesome. I can see why you were offered the brass for it. Nice. Has to be said that is class. Anyway, back to the Blades.

God that Hagstrom looks awesome. I can see why you were offered the brass for it. Nice. Has to be said that is class. Anyway, back to the Blades.

They are fantastic guitars for the money (current ones I mean), fast, slim neck, nicely built guitars

Believe Steve was from Poland...and Farouk from Sheffield...

Remember going in there aged about 9/10 with stringjunior and Steve wasn't having anymore of my blond type bowl affair... 30 mins later short back and sides with a quiff type spammed up at the front... MEGA
Steve was Ukranian I think but from the west of Ukraine which I think is Polish speaking. I think the Polish borders have changed over the centuries. From memory I think he came as a POW (fighting against the Russians) or as a refugee following the creation of the eastern block at the back end of the war.

I'm afraid my memory's a bit vague on this but I'm fairly sure that although he was known as Polish Steve and spoke Polish, he was Ukranian.

There was a story that one of his customers had been invited to a function at the Polish Club on Ecclesall Road and asked Steve for a few words of Polish, so he could break the ice. Steve told him some words that were supposed to be something like 'hello, how are you' but in fact were more like 'piss off you twat'.

No idea if it's true but it's a good story.

A couple more interesting photos from a 1971 programme vs watford with a few clips from the game against cardiff a few days earlier, both of which I saw as a kid. Was a terrific era and we were promoted and faced Arsenal away in the first match of the next season and we won 1-0 and were top of the old first division (now premiership) for several weeks until that fateful match at old trafford and that bloody george best goal they show on TV all too often.
Almost Current Blades vs Future Blades that Watford match! Although they could have checked on the spellings a bit more thoroughly.

Steve was Ukranian I think but from the west of Ukraine which I think is Polish speaking. I think the Polish borders have changed over the centuries. From memory I think he came as a POW (fighting against the Russians) or as a refugee following the creation of the eastern block at the back end of the war.

I'm afraid my memory's a bit vague on this but I'm fairly sure that although he was known as Polish Steve and spoke Polish, he was Ukranian.

There was a story that one of his customers had been invited to a function at the Polish Club on Ecclesall Road and asked Steve for a few words of Polish, so he could break the ice. Steve told him some words that were supposed to be something like 'hello, how are you' but in fact were more like 'piss off you twat'.

No idea if it's true but it's a good story.

I think what happened is that after World War 2, borders were redrawn, and a part of Poland was reclassified as Ukraine. Many of the Poles who ended up in the UK had nothing to go back to, as they lost their land, farms, houses, etc.

Back
Top Bottom