Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I think he lives in Australia Silent. I played regularlyView attachment 81522 for B&J from about 77 to 85, so we may have met.
Just behind Steve Moon (still playing) and the two seated in far right are his children. Bill and Nicola Ward just left of centre in back row. Nigel Carpino now has a lot less hair! The Stewart brothers! Dave Cook is still playing but not sure about S. Cooke. Peter Charles (from the pro-Boycott committee) is in photo too. A few more faces I know but forgot their names (the John Lennon lookalike and the curly hair bloke next to S.Cooke). Think I can spot you!

Just behind Steve Moon (still playing) and the two seated in far right are his children. Bill and Nicola Ward just left of centre in back row. Nigel Carpino now has a lot less hair! The Stewart brothers! Dave Cook is still playing but not sure about S. Cooke. Peter Charles (from the pro-Boycott committee) is in photo too. A few more faces I know but forgot their names (the John Lennon lookalike and the curly hair bloke next to S.Cooke). Think I can spot you!
Yes, the one in the front with the beard. John Grooccok, the Miller brothers, Glen Havenhand, Terry Walsh are others on there.

The view has changed a bit, although I'd guess you'd be the right age to live there now:

View attachment 81580

Haha - not too far off.
We used to go in the Kings Head age 16-ish (1984) & buy a pint of Trophy & a Castella so it made us seem old enough. Never got questioned though sure we weren’t fooling anyone.
Remember seeing Keith Edwards & family in the beer garden once.

Haha - not too far off.
We used to go in the Kings Head age 16-ish (1984) & buy a pint of Trophy & a Castella so it made us seem old enough. Never got questioned though sure we weren’t fooling anyone.
Remember seeing Keith Edwards & family in the beer garden once.

Took my son in there as a 2 month old, as clearly you are never too early to start. He was in a sling on my chest, but didn't fancy a beer.

Our first Christmas day with kids and the wife was knackered and grumpy, so I'd gone to trudge the streets and drop in old neighbours to coo over our wonder child. He was sick in my lap, which seems appropriate for this 'first pint vein', as I'm sure many of us ended up in a similar state.

A shame it got knocked down, but it was mainly a chain-food dump with average beer. Nice beer garden though.

Yeah - it had become a bit of a crappy place in the end. Still, some fond memories & yes, that beer garden was for me a proper pub beer garden.
Never got on with any of the pubs in Crosspool really - though the Hallamshire on Lydgate Lane (also now houses) was alright.
I was more of a Broomhill - specifically the South Seas - frequenter.

Last edited:
At auction here.

View attachment 81645
View attachment 81638View attachment 81639View attachment 81640View attachment 81641
When I opened this thread those photos only resolved themselves to about halfway down. It looked like the bloke in the Bowler hat, looking down in the background, was getting stuck into a giant pint of Guinness :D :D

Yeah - it had become a bit of a crappy place in the end. Still, some fond memories & yes, that beer garden was for me a proper pub beer garden.
Never got on with any of the pubs in Crosspool really - though the Hallamshire on Lydgate Lane (also how houses) was alright.

The Bell Hagg was good if you wanted a late beer, or a very late beer. A private house now, but imaginatively developed with a glass atrium linking the 6 storey building and a stone barn.
Tavern - dump still living off its carvery reputation from years ago when there was nowhere else to eat. Avoid at all costs.
Sportsman - a decent Stones local and now a reasonable local pub, albeit a bit chainy on the food side.
Plough - good crowd ('Hello Grappler ') but sadly now sat empty while a local 'developer' creates an eyesore that he hopes will persuade residents to allow development.

IIRC the South Seas had a decent mob of Blades plus quite a few Crookes Wendys. Oddly very local in the tap room whilst very studenty in the lounge. It's been a succession of themed student chain joints and I haven't been in for years.

Broomhill isn't too bad with the smart York ('Hello Chris'), aleheads Itchy Pig, good pies at the Notty and the Fox and duck is lively enough. The Broomhill Tav hangs in there with a mainly local clientele and the beer's okay.

I fear a few more S10 pubs may well go once this lot finally clears.

The Bell Hagg was good if you wanted a late beer, or a very late beer. A private house now, but imaginatively developed with a glass atrium linking the 6 storey building and a stone barn.
Tavern - dump still living off its carvery reputation from years ago when there was nowhere else to eat. Avoid at all costs.
Sportsman - a decent Stones local and now a reasonable local pub, albeit a bit chainy on the food side.
Plough - good crowd ('Hello Grappler ') but sadly now sat empty while a local 'developer' creates an eyesore that he hopes will persuade residents to allow development.

IIRC the South Seas had a decent mob of Blades plus quite a few Crookes Wendys. Oddly very local in the tap room whilst very studenty in the lounge. It's been a succession of themed student chain joints and I haven't been in for years.

Broomhill isn't too bad with the smart York ('Hello Chris'), aleheads Itchy Pig, good pies at the Notty and the Fox and duck is lively enough. The Broomhill Tav hangs in there with a mainly local clientele and the beer's okay.

I fear a few more S10 pubs may well go once this lot finally clears.

Bell Hagg - too far to walk for us Crookes lads.
Tavern - yup.
Sportsman - best of the rest.
Plough - only went in once.

South Seas - I was a tap room local & defo a very odd mix in there.
York - we’d have a couple in there for a change before going back to the Seas.
Fox & Duck - occasional call if it was raining & didn’t fancy going all the way from York to Seas in one go.
Never went in the rest of Broomhill. Funny that.

As a Crookes lad, never really went drinking on therethough the Grindstone was a stop off on the way to Broomhill.
Always found the the Masons Arms really odd.

Will be amazed if we don’t see pubs all over the place not re-open.

You’re obviously an S10 lad - Tapton or King Edwards?

You’re obviously an S10 lad - Tapton or King Edwards?

Neither, 'Dinno Comp Elite Academy of Fine Arts and Deportment'.

I rented in Crosspool for a couple of years in the 80s, had a terrace in Crookes for 4 years into the 90s, then moved to Crosspool in 91. Went in the South Seas a few times with the Swift brothers and memorably, before the first 90s derby at the Lane.

I love this side of town with the hills and access to great countryside without needing to get in a car. Plenty of great boozers within a few miles walking range.

Where are you living now?

Never got on with any of the pubs in Crosspool really - though the Hallamshire on Lydgate Lane (also now houses) was alright.
The Lydgate Lane chippy?......”Wrapped Up Duck”

Neither, 'Dinno Comp Elite Academy of Fine Arts and Deportment'.

I rented in Crosspool for a couple of years in the 80s, had a terrace in Crookes for 4 years into the 90s, then moved to Crosspool in 91. Went in the South Seas a few times with the Swift brothers and memorably, before the first 90s derby at the Lane.

I love this side of town with the hills and access to great countryside without needing to get in a car. Plenty of great boozers within a few miles walking range.

Where are you living now?

Dinno Comp - played football against them a few times I seem to recall. I went to King Edwards & must have missed the kids at your school with the fine art qualifications.......

I was born on Mulehouse Road then lived on Nairn Street, Loxley View Rd & Stannington View Rd before moving to Brinsworth - where we are now.

My South Seas days were 1985-90 when we moved away.

Still got family up Crookes (in houses & in the cemetery) & still feels like home when I go up, even though I’ve been away for nearly 30 years.
Used to get on the bikes when we were kids & be out in Derbyshire in no time - Wyming Brook, Castleton, Hathersage & Derwent Valley all within what seemed like an easy ride at the time.

When we got old enough, spoilt for choice pub-wise but still trod the same well-worn paths.
Had a old school-mate who worked in the Broomhill Friery. We’d order our snap & give him a fiver & he’s give us a fiver’s worth of change!
Good old George!

The Lydgate Lane chippy?......”Wrapped Up Duck”

Wow - that’s half a memory jogged. There was a chippy near the Hallamshire wasn’t there?
Was there?
We always used Broomheads near the Grindstone but I do seem to remember a chippy on Lydgate Lane somewhere but can’t place it exactly.
Where was it? The opposite corner to the Hallamshire?

Wow - that’s half a memory jogged. There was a chippy near the Hallamshire wasn’t there?
Was there?
We always used Broomheads near the Grindstone but I do seem to remember a chippy on Lydgate Lane somewhere but can’t place it exactly.
Where was it? The opposite corner to the Hallamshire?
It’s strange because I can see it in my mind’s eye, but with not having been back for over fifty years, I couldn’t place it on a map - you’re most likely right, opposite the Hallamshire. Quite a few High Storrs lads came from Crosspool, and Friday night was always spent at Crosspool YC, after an early couple of halves at the Plough. I lived between Hunter’s Bar and Broomhill then, which meant if I was totally skint I could save the bus fare by walking!

Back
Top Bottom