Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Looks like the second highest attendance of the day.

Birchenhall scoring for Palace. Porterfield scoring for Sunderland.

Looking at that Coventry v Everton match. 3-1 to Coventry. Ernie Hunt scored 2 and I think one was the famous 'donkey kick' free kick he did with Willie Carr.

It was banned afterwards - player touching the ball twice at a frre kick.

The new ruling at free kicks was the ball had to roll off it's start point. Willie Carr flipped it straight up and Hunt volleyed it, nobody kicked it twice.

Looking at that Coventry v Everton match. 3-1 to Coventry. Ernie Hunt scored 2 and I think one was the famous 'donkey kick' free kick he did with Willie Carr.

David Ford Newcastle ?

Bert has been in his garage again.

What a happy day that was.

View attachment 81337View attachment 81338View attachment 81339
Indeed! A Blade was made on that day. Me! The first professional football match I ever went to. With some schoolmates telling me I should support Wednesday and some schoolmates telling me I should support United. I had no influence from parents or family either way, so I went along to see for myself.

What I remember seeing was a Sheffield United side with players of great skill, who attacked Wednesday and had them on the rack time and time again during the first half. It was like men against boys. Wednesday were outclassed, but offered some resistance in the form of agricultural tackling. In the second half Wednesday got lucky with a deflected goal then came back into the game a bit and equalised soon after. It all made for a very entertaining match, but it felt like an injustice to United who had been far the better, the classier, team. Then of course, Tudor comes on and scores in the dying minutes of the game.

To say that game "confirmed" me as a Blade would be incorrect. I probably went to three or four of Wednesday's games as well after that. The local coach firm in our village used to run a bus to Bramall Lane one week and Hillsborough the next. So I went to watch whichever one was at home, for a while. But one day, whilst I was stood on the roofless kop at Hillsborough, watching Wednesday play Norwich I think it was (Kevin Keelan in goal for Norwich - I remember that much) I just gazed up the sky and thought..."this is crap!" I was bored. The football was rubbish and the atmosphere was rubbish. I decided from then onwards that I wouldn't bother jumping on the coach to come to Hillsborough again - I'd go and watch United's reserves in the Central League at Bramall Lane instead. And when I got a bit older I started watching United home and away -as I do now - when the government allow me to. ;)

Note also, the Mirror reporter's reference to the "small crowd" at Elland Road for the Dirties' game against Huddersfield.

This was a recurrent theme at the time as, despite being in contention for just about every trophy available every season (I note they were top of the league at the time) Leeds' gates rarely got above the mid-30,000's. Revie used to bemoan the fact that Leeds were incapable of drawing the sort of 50,000 gates that the likes of Man U and Everton could command.

This fact seems to have been forgotten/air-brushed when you hear the constant drivel spouted these days about Leeds and their support.

The new ruling at free kicks was the ball had to roll off it's start point. Willie Carr flipped it straight up and Hunt volleyed it, nobody kicked it twice.

You are probably correct SEB.

I've just found a piece from When Saturday Comes in August 2003.

'...the FA decided that when the ball was flicked up it had been touched twice by the player doing the flicking, once by either foot, so breaking the rules on the taking of a free kick'.

I agree nobody 'kicked' it twice but the authorities felt the ball was 'touched' twice.

After the match at the Lane and seeing that on MOTD I remember we were all out trying to do that free kick routine the next day.

You are probably correct SEB.

I've just found a piece from When Saturday Comes in August 2003.

'...the FA decided that when the ball was flicked up it had been touched twice by the player doing the flicking, once by either foot, so breaking the rules on the taking of a free kick'.

I agree nobody 'kicked' it twice but the authorities felt the ball was 'touched' twice.

After the match at the Lane and seeing that on MOTD I remember we were all out trying to do that free kick routine the next day.

It's a strange one because, back then especially you would see two footed tackles, and even now goals scored where players sliding in with both feet score. I think that's why the wording of the new law said something about the ball rolling its circumference.

Note also, the Mirror reporter's reference to the "small crowd" at Elland Road for the Dirties' game against Huddersfield.

This was a recurrent theme at the time as, despite being in contention for just about every trophy available every season (I note they were top of the league at the time) Leeds' gates rarely got above the mid-30,000's. Revie used to bemoan the fact that Leeds were incapable of drawing the sort of 50,000 gates that the likes of Man U and Everton could command.

This fact seems to have been forgotten/air-brushed when you hear the constant drivel spouted these days about Leeds and their support.

It’s a rugby city. Loads of their support comes from outside the place. Considering they have Wakefield to the south, North Yorkshire and parts of East Yorkshire, their support is nowhere near as impressive as some people make out.

Could anyone post a deacent copy of this please Star Players SUFC.jpgor is there a copyright problem? Thank you in advance.

I moved from Sheffield in 85 so haven't seen a lot of my old mates for years. My brother still lives in Sheffield though.
I started playing chess regularly in 1983 so I doubt I bumped into you between 1983 and 1985. I remember Brian Jones who played for your club. Is he still around?

Back
Top Bottom