Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Interesting.... kindred spirit??
I recall three floors (G, 1, 2) in the Strowger days. I spent 3 months just bank cleaning group selectors on the top floor when I was a GPO "Youth".
I returned many times as a construction engineer in later years. On this occasion, I seem to think I was on the roof, fitting the hoist ready for a rack lifting session. But my memory has been known to lapse now and again.. so, maybe not.:). I guess it's all changed inside now anyway.

Yes Andingmen been with them 32 years not a lot up there on the top floor 👍

Anyone have a photo of The Rising Sun near the Lane. Always told about it but never saw it.

I worked at the Bassetts distribution warehouse rather than the factory (in the 70s). We had a table, upon which damaged boxes of sweets, which could not be sent out to shops were placed. We were free to help ourselves to this damaged stock. Natch, when those ran out, we just got the forklift driver to run into another pallet of boxes & damage some more.
The Carrier Bag Firm, bringing you solutions, not problems, since the 1970s.....
A mutual friend who used to work for Whitbread had a similar solution using a forklift truck when more free beer was required. 😁😁

Great photo. Bocking Lane, Westwick Crescent, Hemper Lane, Road behind the photographer to Lowedges estate. Road up to the right up to Greenhill village and the White Hart and White Swan pubs.

The main building on the opposite side of the traffic island was Mitchell newsagents. I used to do my paper round from there. The white door to the left hand side of the building was like a garage where we picked up our papers in the scruffy Star bags.

I did Old Park Avenue and Old Park road. Newspapers were always late delivered on a morning after a Blades night match due to me taking my time reading all the reports.

Usually got a bollocking and late for school.
Did you read the report in every paper before you delivered it?

Did you read the report in every paper before you delivered it?

Most newspapers carried a report. The Sheffield Telegraph (or Morning Telegraph as it was known) always carried a lengthy report. Benny Hill (not the comedian) was often the reporter. It was a broad sheet and made it difficult to open, read and then put back together as if it had come straight off the printing press.

Saville Street. Thomas Wards in the background

View attachment 79268
1589108903401.png
I think this is a different picture of the same place. Saville st from the Wicker.
Tommy Wards to the right, in the background I'm going for Firth Brown Norfolk bar mill with Melting shop beyond that.

Please SEB, could you not post any more pictures with snow in them. Hate the stuff.

From Sheffield to Dronfield, Norton on the left.

Not sure when that photo of Four Lane Ends was taken but I'm sure that the road straight ahead (Chesterfield Road South) wasn't always dual carriageway.

I thought in the earlier years the carriageway on the right hand side was the only road. The central trees were much denser and we used to refer to them as the 'End Woods'.

The subway under Chesterfield Road South from Lowedges to Jordanthorpe schools was built later but not sure of the date.

Transport Ground hasn't altered a great deal up there but as referred to on other threads there's talk of Sheffield FC moving there.

There's a police box like the one in the photo next to the Town Hall on Surrey Street. As it's an original police box I always felt when Dr. Who was filmed in Sheffield a few years back they missed a trick by not using that in the story somewhere.

Most newspapers carried a report. The Sheffield Telegraph (or Morning Telegraph as it was known) always carried a lengthy report. Benny Hill (not the comedian) was often the reporter. It was a broad sheet and made it difficult to open, read and then put back together as if it had come straight off the printing press.
Bet the bollocking was from your mum for getting newsprint all over the flannel and towel after washing your hands when you got home.

View attachment 79271
I think this is a different picture of the same place. Saville st from the Wicker.
Tommy Wards to the right, in the background I'm going for Firth Brown Norfolk bar mill with Melting shop beyond that.

Please SEB, could you not post any more pictures with snow in them. Hate the stuff.
I look with great interest and pride at all these pictures of the east end of Sheffield, and today it just reinterates the old adage that Maggie Thatcher decimated the steel industry where Hitler failed.

Loved reading the blades report in the Morning Telegraph on a Monday.

My junior school teacher was a blade and half of his lesson consisted of getting the paper out and reading about the blades to the class

Back
Top Bottom