Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

On the Call box side of it ? I remember a pig called Martin Davies ran it when I worked there.
By the sound of it, luckily no.:). I'd nothing too with call boxes. Around that time I was installing switching equipment in the multitude of exchanges around the Sheffield area.

Yes could well be, I think I remember him being a scaffolder. When we were very young we were playing at the bottom of Thornborough Road when a big Jag pulled up,, the occupants were four large gentlemen with squashed noses, the window wound down and one said does Lol Knight live around here, as one we all yelled no mister and ran for our lives
Didnt he get killed scrapping on a night out while working away in Lowestoft or somehere.
He was a working on the door at a club in Lowestoft at the weekend got stabbed by a local
He was working on the rigs during the week

Interesting read about the Norfolk Arms with a name that stood out to me, Ray Morgan. He was well known in town for his no nonsense out look on life. Once spent a couple of early evening hours in his company not realising till we had left who I was talking to. Lad I was with told me, a nicer bloke I never met.
Unfortunately Bert, the "Little Henry" pub was the other side of Dixon Lane actually under the market hall and now I think was called The Vaults, nick name Cowshed.
Believe got it's nick name because tables were in stalls like American Bars, older pub in Dublin and milking sheds

Probably not the best place to dig for info. but I've just been down a rabbit hole looking for pictures from the early - mid 90's of Sheffield College. Specifically the Art and Design department on Scotland Street.

All I've found are a couple of old photos of the exterior and, in fairness, quite a few internal ones from when the building housed the 'Sheffield Corporation Printing Department Works'.

Sheff College 02.jpg

Sheff College 03.jpgSheff College 01.jpg

All the images I've found are courtesy of picturessheffield.com.

What's weird / frustrating is that I can't find any reference to the building as it was in the 90's and it's life as the Art and Design department of Sheffield College - you can see in the bottom image a few students stood outside the main entrance. What's particularly galling is that there was a whole photography department there, while I attended, so there must be 100's of photos out there somewhere. For what it's worth, I knew it as Parkwood College (I attended for 2 years between 93 and 95) - presumably there was some administrative connection to the campus opposite Shirecliffe, that's also long gone.

So, anyone got any further info. maybe places on the web or archives that could shed some light on things? More photo's is really the point, but any info. would be fantastic.

Interesting read about the Norfolk Arms with a name that stood out to me, Ray Morgan. He was well known in town for his no nonsense out look on life. Once spent a couple of early evening hours in his company not realising till we had left who I was talking to. Lad I was with told me, a nicer bloke I never met.
Unfortunately Bert, the "Little Henry" pub was the other side of Dixon Lane actually under the market hall and now I think was called The Vaults, nick name Cowshed.
Believe got it's nick name because tables were in stalls like American Bars, older pub in Dublin and milking sheds
Not sure if anyone is aware but If you enjoy a good read and stories regarding all Sheffield past history, then there is an excellent website run by Chris Hobbs, just type in Chris Hobbs Sheffield and it will take you there.
Also I have a confession to make, I am told by someone with superior knowledge to me that Little Henry was indeed Little Herbert who sold the cardboard puppets

Probably not the best place to dig for info. but I've just been down a rabbit hole looking for pictures from the early - mid 90's of Sheffield College. Specifically the Art and Design department on Scotland Street.

All I've found are a couple of old photos of the exterior and, in fairness, quite a few internal ones from when the building housed the 'Sheffield Corporation Printing Department Works'.

View attachment 77850

View attachment 77851View attachment 77852

What's weird / frustrating is that I can't find any reference to the building as it was in the 90's and it's life as the Art and Design department of Sheffield College - you can see in the bottom image a few students stood outside the main entrance. What's particularly galling is that there was a whole photography department there, while I attended, so there must be 100's of photos out there somewhere. For what it's worth, I knew it as Parkwood College (I attended for 2 years between 93 and 95) - presumably there was some administrative connection to the campus opposite Shirecliffe, that's also long gone.

So, anyone got any further info. maybe places on the web or archives that could shed some light on things? More photo's is really the point, but any info. would be fantastic.
Had a long , lock in night there , November 1991 the night before the 2-0 derby win at BDTBL. About 30 of us , half Blades half the other lot , all great mates, standing on tables singing our heads off. The landlady was a bit of a local ledge but she was great with us .

Sore heads for the early kick off the next day but the weekend just kept getting better and better...

A few more of alleys around Hartshead. Taken around March 1988
First, High Court: from Hartshead to High St. Both ends.

20200421_191340.jpg20200421_191445.jpg

20200417_201449.jpg

Below, the peculiar Aldine Court. From Hartshead end only.
20200421_191400.jpg

The other end of this alley comes out on High street a little above High Court, through a narrow arch way/doorway. I didnt take a pic.
Google earth street view still walks you through both today. Not changed much. But I bet they were "interesting" in the real bygone days, along with all the other snickets around there....

Had a long , lock in night there , November 1991 the night before the 2-0 derby win at BDTBL. About 30 of us , half Blades half the other lot , all great mates, standing on tables singing our heads off. The landlady was a bit of a local ledge but she
Sore heads for the early kick off the next day but the weekend just kept getting better and better...
Yes, legendary Ruth Roper-Tye, she was quite a character!
I understand that her other half, Barry, sadly passed away quite recently.

Superman cartoons!
Don't think so, just the Disney, Warner Bros. Directed by Fred Quinby, name that always amused me. Got the adrenalin rush from the cowboys, then a little later in life on the back row.
In't life great, not so much now but even so it's what you make of it.

Not sure if anyone is aware but If you enjoy a good read and stories regarding all Sheffield past history, then there is an excellent website run by Chris Hobbs, just type in Chris Hobbs Sheffield and it will take you there.
Also I have a confession to make, I am told by someone with superior knowledge to me that Little Henry was indeed Little Herbert who sold the cardboard puppets
S2 4SU is the place for confessions, mine is I cannot stand the colour Royal blue, especially when its coupled with white.
Any road, Little Herbert rings a bell with me but cannot recall much else, to me, as daft as it may be, it sounds more feasible.
Thanks for the Chris Hobbs nod. Appreciated.

14504311_205_205_73045_0_fit_0_26a826be66219329e99c6bf908be4bc7.jpg
This is Little Herbert , pigs mascot from early 20th century.

View attachment 77850

View attachment 77851View attachment 77852

I went there between '87 & '89, the course I did was split between here and Granville Road. Like most things from my youth, now flattened. The pub was R&B's when I was there, they were pretty flexible for slightly under age drinkers during the day, quite fortunate as West Bar Police station was across the road!

I went there between '87 & '89, the course I did was split between here and Granville Road. Like most things from my youth, now flattened. The pub was R&B's when I was there, they were pretty flexible for slightly under age drinkers during the day, quite fortunate as West Bar Police station was across the road!

Haha, yeah I remember drinking in there of an afternoon. I was 16 when I started there and the owners / staff of the pub must have known how old we all were. Good times!

I can see your thinking, and mines only supposition but Navigation Inn says canal and the fields of the castle cold have stretched to the canal/ basin area.
The Norfolk Market Hall was built in 1851 with the stretch of road at the back being Castle Folds, hence the wholesale market which stood behind NMH was named Castle Folds Market. The CFM moved to a site on the Parkway when the NMH closed and the Castle Market opened.
Getting back to "Little Henry's" pub. After several hours of thought believe it was called The Vaults or similar. Cannot find mi "pub on every corner" book for any confirmation, someone must remember it, BUGGER it's getting on mi threepennys now.
When did the canal and basin open?

Corner of Exchange Street and Castle Folds. Rotherham House pub 1914

y00267.jpg

Wow, didn't realise that, would he, could he be the same bloke that sold the cardboard puppets on a string in what would've been the late 50s early 60s.
Could be. He'd be about 60/70 then.

I can see your thinking, and mines only supposition but Navigation Inn says canal and the fields of the castle cold have stretched to the canal/ basin area.
The Norfolk Market Hall was built in 1851 with the stretch of road at the back being Castle Folds, hence the wholesale market which stood behind NMH was named Castle Folds Market. The CFM moved to a site on the Parkway when the NMH closed and the Castle Market opened.
Getting back to "Little Henry's" pub. After several hours of thought believe it was called The Vaults or similar. Cannot find mi "pub on every corner" book for any confirmation, someone must remember it, BUGGER it's getting on mi threepennys now.
When did the canal and basin open?

Here is a view of Waingate looking towards the Exchange St brewery. On the right is the Royal Hotel and Hotel Vaults which was a pub. Is this what you were thinking of?

s20252.jpg

Here is a view of Waingate looking towards the Exchange St brewery. On the right is the Royal Hotel and Hotel Vaults which was a pub. Is this what you were thinking of?

View attachment 77877

To fully get my bearings - would you say the building on the immediate left (corner shown only) is the old Sheffield Town Hall (may have become law courts) which I think is being redeveloped now?

Very interesting site.

A few more of alleys around Hartshead. Taken around March 1988
First, High Court: from Hartshead to High St. Both ends.

View attachment 77865View attachment 77866

View attachment 77868

Below, the peculiar Aldine Court. From Hartshead end only.
View attachment 77867

The other end of this alley comes out on High street a little above High Court, through a narrow arch way/doorway. I didnt take a pic.
Google earth street view still walks you through both today. Not changed much. But I bet they were "interesting" in the real bygone days, along with all the other snickets around there....
Keep these coming mate ,its just like reliving my teens ,loving them.

Just noticed Laitners solicitors above the Dove ,that was the guy who got murdered by Arthur Hutchinson along with his wife and son. He moved onto East Parade outside the Cathedral I think ,although this was 83 so the timescale is confusing.

Last edited:

Just noticed Laitners solicitors above the Dove ,that was the guy who got murdered by Arthur Hutchinson along with his wife and son. He moved onto East Parade outside the Cathedral I think ,although this was 83 so the timescale is confusing.
Yes, I remember those murders very well too. They were shocking and quite horrific.
As for timescale. ... very odd.... I checked my old scribbled notes again....Mar 88....so I've no idea why that could be.
As for all these alleys, I bet they've seen some "goings on" over the years.

Rebina shoes was a must visit for me and the mates most Saturdays early 80s. Pixie boots to pods to bowling shoes all within a couple of years. Also had a stall in the market.

Rebina shoes was a must visit for me and the mates most Saturdays early 80s. Pixie boots to pods to bowling shoes all within a couple of years. Also had a stall in the market.
Met Mrs sitwell in the market she worked just along from rebina at the paper shop

Back
Top Bottom