Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

If the walkway went under what is now Argos it used to be the entrance to what was Cockaynes basement. Also down the walkway was a Halifax branch, where I took out my first bank account. It was with the assistance of a girl who worked there and I was seeing at the time,1958/9, Sad point to this story is she is no longer with us. Learned that whilst speaking to her cousin a couple of years ago.
I don't want to stir up unpleasant memories XM657, but is this it?20200416_194929.jpg

I don't want to stir up unpleasant memories XM657, but is this it?View attachment 77747
No, that's the top end of Cockaynes, walk way too the Dove and Rainbow, Heartshead. The walkway mentioned was at the lower end of Cockaynes, sloping down from the pavement, under the Cockaynes building to the floor level of the basement floor of the store. On the left ,originally, there were shop type windows where Cockaynes displayed their wares. Eventually this area was made into a branch for Halifax Building Society giving income for Cockaynes.
No unpleasant memories, she was a lovely lass and the account is still in a healthy way.
Enjoying your photo posts, through memories and places not seen before or from a different angle.
Interesting when Tickhill Blades produced a photo of his great gran and work colleges who worked in the cutlery firm in your Sylvester St shoots

No, that's the top end of Cockaynes, walk way too the Dove and Rainbow, Heartshead. The walkway mentioned was at the lower end of Cockaynes, sloping down from the pavement, under the Cockaynes building to the floor level of the basement floor of the store. On the left ,originally, there were shop type windows where Cockaynes displayed their wares. Eventually this area was made into a branch for Halifax Building Society giving income for Cockaynes.
No unpleasant memories, she was a lovely lass and the account is still in a healthy way.
Enjoying your photo posts, through memories and places not seen before or from a different angle.
Interesting when Tickhill Blades produced a photo of his great gran and work colleges who worked in the cutlery firm in your Sylvester St shoots

That's where the ABC queue used to go.

Thanks for the confirmation ST, and do you know, is it still open?
All very interesting stuff....
So the photo I posted above is the" top alley" from Hartshead to Angel St...(I've just dug out my original notes which confirm this, as does this reverse view from Mar 1988.)
20200421_191725.jpg

And the "bottom alley", at the side of the cinema, where, as ST said, we used to queue, must be this one below, taken in Mar 1988. I think it's no longer there but I haven't been down that way for a long time. Sorry about the darkness...20200421_191745.jpg
I guess what threw me was your comment about the Halifax. I suppose the branch shown in my original "top alley" shot was a later branch.
Anyway, as you say, this entire thread is great.
On top of that, I'm glad your memories of this place were sweet...:)
Oh, finally a general shot from the same year, showing the area...20200421_191246.jpg

All very interesting stuff....
So the photo I posted above is the" top alley" from Hartshead to Angel St...(I've just dug out my original notes which confirm this, as does this reverse view from Mar 1988.)
View attachment 77758

And the "bottom alley", at the side of the cinema, where, as ST said, we used to queue, must be this one below, taken in Mar 1988. I think it's no longer there but I haven't been down that way for a long time. Sorry about the darkness...View attachment 77759
I guess what threw me was your comment about the Halifax. I suppose the branch shown in my original "top alley" shot was a later branch.
Anyway, as you say, this entire thread is great.
On top of that, I'm glad your memories of this place were sweet...:)
Oh, finally a general shot from the same year, showing the area...View attachment 77760
Thanks Andingmen, that's the one. Only been to ABC couple of times, took kids first Star Wars film, was it 77/78, then first Superman film with thingy Reeves in. Lightbulb moment!!! Saw Porgy & Bess, there '63 was out of Sheffield at time but came back for my 21st. The old basement entrance ideal for cinema queues out of the weather on a bad winters nights. I've had plenty of those growing up. Hippodrome was bad, Stalls, down Cambridge St. to Pinstone St., Balcony up Cam. St. then along Wellington St., wet nights soaked before you got i
Reference the top walkway, having looked on a1905 map the building were in much the same configuration with a walk under same your photo, this was titled Watson Walk.
Excellent photos yet again. When's the book launch?

Bert was in there one night with the Sheffield CID, so was Lol Knight, well known nutter.
Luckily somebody dragged Lol out just as he was about to launch a one man attack on the CID.
I’ve not heard that name for some time!

Back
Top Bottom