Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Wont have a word said against Benstead ,he drew my numbers out in the Blades revival in March 1989 against Huddersfield at half time. We were 1-0 down the pigs were winning and it looked like being a shit day. We won 5-1 the pigs lost and I won a grand ,packed my job in Monday morning and set up a business on the enterprise allowance scheme that is still going today :)

Get his predictions on the Euromillions Sitwell .. if all goes well he might become the best ever incumbent of the No1 jersey at BDTBL 😜

He did. Bert could hear the crack as it snapped from his position on the terrace.

😣 ... makes me cringe ... this is from someone who broke his tib & fib at 17 and couldn’t play for nigh on two years when I was playing at a decent level

You are right it was a fantastic night of football, the atmosphere was amazing. I seem to remember that Warboy's broke John Hope's nose with a head but, is that right?
You probably are, as I remember seeing a dressing room, after match celebration, photo where Hope looks the worst for wear facially. I am unsure if it was the Cardiff or Watford game. If it was Watford I would have thought the injury would still be showing at that time. Sorry thought I had the photo but no, sure someone will put it up no doubt.

Heeley Bank Junior school Under 11.
1964 Winners of Sanderson Trophy.
Picture taken after final on Ball Inn, beating Shirecliffe 4-0.
Several Blades fans on the photo, who are still match day regulars.
Plus one in background who was a well known Blade fan in 60s/70s/80s, for dubious reasons 😏
Cracking photo, why not get it restored? Fella in Crystal Peaks Market I have used, good and reasonable, can do it on line. Sorry cannot find his address at moment.

Reactions: LSF
From City Plaza (now the Balance) towards East End, Aug 1989.
The overhead gantries for the old electrified Sheff Victoria to Manc Line were still on the Wicker Viaduct. I travelled to my first ever away match to Burnley on that route in the mid-sixties.

East End from City Plaza Aug 1989.jpg

All this talk of pubs has got me thinking about my drinking days in Sheffield. Granted later than all these other tales, but the Hammer and Pincers at Bents Green. I first went in regularly when Nina Crownshaw was landlady - but who was the landlord before Nina? It's bugging me
Alan Tustin ran it during the 70's....no problem!

It's something we don't do nowadays...change people's names to their English equivalent. If Sabella was signing now, we'd refer to him with his correct name, "Alejandro", because it's more exotic, but back in the 70's and 80's we used to like to called them by the nearest English version. Like "Peter" Katchouro for example (real name was "Pyotr").

There are exceptions of course - the club made, what we thought was going to be an exciting signing, an Argentinian striker, called Pedro Verde. They suddenly realised that if they turned this into the English equivalent it would become "Peter Green" - so they didn't bother! It was a similar story with "Jostein" Flo in the 90's. We could have Anglicised it and called him "Joe Flo" but that would have made him sound rather "ordinary", so we stuck with the correct foreign version.

The club seem to like to "simplify" things with names as much as they can for the fans. Marcelo dos Santos Cipriano became known just by his first name, "Marcelo". Marcelo was the first striker, to play for Sheffield United, whose name ended in an "O" (I think!). But there have been others since - can anyone name them?

And another question for you... There haven't been many Sheffield United players that have been referred to only by their first name (in the programme or on their shirt) - like Marcelo - but there are a few others - can anyone name them?

(Look...I know it's a shite quiz - but there's bugger all else to do, so you might as well have a go at it!).;)
Ravel Morrison

From City Plaza (now the Balance) towards East End, Aug 1989.
The overhead gantries for the old electrified Sheff Victoria to Manc Line were still on the Wicker Viaduct. I travelled to my first ever away match to Burnley on that route in the mid-sixties.

View attachment 77342
More or less centre of the picture, Sheffield Forgemasters, was originally a big investment from Firth Brown. GFM all singing all dancing state of the art forge.
End of the 70's, 22 million quid I'd heard, then everything went Pete Tong.
Still going.

Back
Top Bottom