Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The ‘dads army’ team of 85/86 as the press called us HB remember the season well more so as I had some great laughs lads on some of the away trips.
Think that’s Stan & McNaught in the pic ,started that season well and had some turned in some great performances particularly away from home remember some good days out 3-1 at Stoke to kick the season off 3-0 at Pompey , 4-1 Bradford ( at Elland Red ) & Oldham 5-1that stand out and Steve Wigley ( remember him ) goal against Blackburn in the 3-3 draw at The Lane but also a couple of hidings one at Norwich ( 0-4 ) and a shit performance at Plough Lane against Harrys Wimbledon ( 0-5 ) near Christmas at team we’d hammered at home 4-0 .

We’d been in and around the promotion places up to then but after that wheels came off / or we ran out of steam and we slipped away over the coming months including a shit home defeat to 3rd Div Derby in the Cup 3rd round . Porterfield was sacked was sacked in March after the home defeat to Norwich & the game was shown MOTD that night which was rare for a second division at the time .. must have been an expensive sacking as i think Brearley had given him a 10 year contract after the 4th Division promotion 4 years earlier

Had some great times that season , pity we couldn’t match on the pitch , but that’s being a Blade for you !

Are you sure the captain fella is Sherwood? Looks like Jimmy Scoular
Christian name came to me 24 hrs. after posting, was going to update but you gave me the opportunity, Ta. ALF Sherwood, Cardiff, left back. Apparently sliding tackle was his forte. Oh!, remember it well, ball first then man taking him over the touch line, but better on wetter days although you got your arse wet then.Alf Sherwood Wales tackles Tom Finney circa late 40's early50's.jpgAlf Sherwood No. 3 tackles nat Lofthouse.jpgCan you name the other visible players, two English and oneWelsh?

Christian name came to me 24 hrs. after posting, was going to update but you gave me the opportunity, Ta. ALF Sherwood, Cardiff, left back. Apparently sliding tackle was his forte. Oh!, remember it well, ball first then man taking him over the touch line, but better on wetter days although you got your arse wet then.View attachment 77279View attachment 77280Can you name the other visible players, two English and oneWelsh?

Tom Finney, Nat Lofthouse?? and Roy Paul????

He was Cardiff's manager when we beat them 5-1 in April 1971. After the game he moaned that TC fouled their keeper for the 3rd goal.
Remember before that game he had been telling everyone that Cardiff were certs for promotion. He was right about TC fouling the keeper, but without that we would have won 4-1.

Welshman who played for Spurs? Terry Medwin or Ron Burgess
Yes to Ron Burgess, well done, Silents looking over his shoulder.;)
Your father was spot on he was a rough house, nearly said 'dirty bastard' but didn't want to sound course. In my early teens saw JS at the Lane from the Terrace. Ball came out of play nestling on the cinder path by the railings. JS came to pick up ball to raucous boos and cat calls, picked up ball looked at the crowd and stuck the rods up, unseen by officials, turned and took throw in. I was quite taken aback at the time, shattering my elusions about pro footballers., but looking back at it now it was hilarious.

He did. Bert could hear the crack as it snapped from his position on the terrace.
I went to that game,was the blades singing wheres yer caravan to kenworthy?..we also played them on a night game that season at field mill and it were freezing and snowing on the open away end?

Shocking keeper ... for a bloke that was probably 6’3 a fkg pigmy had a more commanding presence in the area .. think Simonsen had same goal keeping coach !!
Wont have a word said against Benstead ,he drew my numbers out in the Blades revival in March 1989 against Huddersfield at half time. We were 1-0 down the pigs were winning and it looked like being a shit day. We won 5-1 the pigs lost and I won a grand ,packed my job in Monday morning and set up a business on the enterprise allowance scheme that is still going today :)

Heeley Bank Junior school Under 11.
1964 Winners of Sanderson Trophy.
Picture taken after final on Ball Inn, beating Shirecliffe 4-0.
Several Blades fans on the photo, who are still match day regulars.
Plus one in background who was a well known Blade fan in 60s/70s/80s, for dubious reasons 😏

Attachments

• IMG_20190804_115616.jpg
    IMG_20190804_115616.jpg
    650.6 KB · Views: 53

Also the fact Blades completely out played Cardiff. What a night that was. Hadn't remembered Scoular was their manager that game.

You are right it was a fantastic night of football, the atmosphere was amazing. I seem to remember that Warboy's broke John Hope's nose with a head but, is that right?

Back
Top Bottom