Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The bottom picture has the bright yellow ('Busby era') BT vans in the car park off Scotland Street just after they'd been hived off from the GPO and privatised.
That was the BT Solly Street depot, where mainly the externally underground, overhead guys worked out of. But I'm not sure if it was still operational at the time of the photo. Mind you,I should. I worked for the company!

In the bottom photo, just behind the star in the foreground, is the Royal Oak on Hollis Croft. One of our alternative Friday lunchtime drinking venues.
We used to go in regularly after yoof club at Croft House. One special evening just after 8 pm, we were ushered into the landlady's parlour at the back of the bar for the one and only time to watch her telly: The Apollo 11 landing.

I don't really speak like that, but I can. It's sad and childish, but I tend to do it more if I'm in southern England, or if I'm talking southerners up here! 😂😂😂

I don't speak like it anymore either, too many years living and working away speaking to all nationalities modified it, but it still creeps out if I get wound up 😀

View attachment 77142
Ronnie Waldock, I think (Silent Blade ?)
Don't know who we're playing. At a guess, Forest.
On the left looks like Jeff Hall,17 caps, England full back. Player tackling Ronnie Waldock (Loved watching him, not the greatest but loads of effort and some skill) I thought might be Roy Paul, Welsh international, but he never played for Brum. It did however bring this photo up. Those of my age group may find interesting.1950's Welsh team.jpgBack row LtoR Ivor Allchurch, Lens brother, if you don't know who Len is use google or S6 is on the slippery slope, UKN, Roy Paul, Man City captain in Trautmann broken neck FACF, Jack Kelsey, associated with a foggy, visibility around 20 yds., FA Cup replay V Arsenal at the Lane, The Great John Charles, UKN. Front row LtoR Believe a young Cliff Jones of Spurs double winning team, Derek Tapscott-Arsenal skilful inside forward, Can't remember Christian name-Sherwood probably captain, Trevor Ford top 50's CF, big money transfer to Sunderland think from Villa know he played for them. UKN looks a big unit though probably seconded him from the Welsh Rugby Union 15.

It's something we don't do nowadays...change people's names to their English equivalent. If Sabella was signing now, we'd refer to him with his correct name, "Alejandro", because it's more exotic, but back in the 70's and 80's we used to like to called them by the nearest English version. Like "Peter" Katchouro for example (real name was "Pyotr").

There are exceptions of course - the club made, what we thought was going to be an exciting signing, an Argentinian striker, called Pedro Verde. They suddenly realised that if they turned this into the English equivalent it would become "Peter Green" - so they didn't bother! It was a similar story with "Jostein" Flo in the 90's. We could have Anglicised it and called him "Joe Flo" but that would have made him sound rather "ordinary", so we stuck with the correct foreign version.

The club seem to like to "simplify" things with names as much as they can for the fans. Marcelo dos Santos Cipriano became known just by his first name, "Marcelo". Marcelo was the first striker, to play for Sheffield United, whose name ended in an "O" (I think!). But there have been others since - can anyone name them?

And another question for you... There haven't been many Sheffield United players that have been referred to only by their first name (in the programme or on their shirt) - like Marcelo - but there are a few others - can anyone name them?

(Look...I know it's a shite quiz - but there's bugger all else to do, so you might as well have a go at it!).;)

I don't speak like it anymore either, too many years living and working away speaking to all nationalities modified it, but it still creeps out if I get wound up 😀

Language and dialect is an interesting thing. People like to be like others generally. So they modify the way they speak, to some extent, to "fit in" with the society that they are in, or wish to be accepted in.

I've never had a Sheffield accent, I was brought up in a village in North East Derbyshire - even though Sheffield was just 7 miles down the road and the nearest big city, the old accent in the village did not take anything from that. Chesterfield was 7 miles in the opposite direction - and the accent in the village took nothing from that either (thankfully! - y'oreight duck? y' coming to ar ars layter duck?). The accent in the village I grew up in was a curious blend of Derbyshire and Yorkshire (more like the Barnsley Yorkshire accent). This may have got something to do with the fact that it used to be an active mining village in years gone by and people, like my great grandparents, re-located from the Yorkshire coal-fields to come there to find work.

When I went to secondary school it was a mix of kids mainly from the surrounding Derbyshire villages. Eckington, Marsh Lane, Ridgeway, Troway, Mosborough, Halfway, Beighton, Killamarsh, Some of these places are no longer in Derbyshire - and many of them are no longer villages - they are "townships" - which basically means big sprawling estates. But back in the 60's, before Sheffielder's had fled the cheap bus fares but extortionate housing rates, and came to Derbyshire instead for a better way of life ;), they were small villages with similar dialects and the accents didn't bear much resemblance to the Sheffield accent.

I think it was only when I started work, in Sheffield, at the age of 16, that I first became exposed to the Sheffield "dee-dar" accent. It was quite a novelty! But not one I wanted to emulate. Anyhow, I was too busy trying not to speak in a broad Derbyshire accent and that was enough to be concentrating on, without trying to learn to slip the letter "D" into as many words as I could.

Similar to your experiences, I've travelled a lot with work and lived all over the place, in the UK and abroad. I suppose it depends on what kind of job you do to some extent, but in my world you have to lose the broad accent, wherever it's from, if you want to be understood and not thought of as some local yokel.

It's something we don't do nowadays...change people's names to their English equivalent. If Sabella was signing now, we'd refer to him with his correct name, "Alejandro", because it's more exotic, but back in the 70's and 80's we used to like to called them by the nearest English version. Like "Peter" Katchouro for example (real name was "Pyotr").

There are exceptions of course - the club made, what we thought was going to be an exciting signing, an Argentinian striker, called Pedro Verde. They suddenly realised that if they turned this into the English equivalent it would become "Peter Green" - so they didn't bother! It was a similar story with "Jostein" Flo in the 90's. We could have Anglicised it and called him "Joe Flo" but that would have made him sound rather "ordinary", so we stuck with the correct foreign version.

The club seem to like to "simplify" things with names as much as they can for the fans. Marcelo dos Santos Cipriano became known just by his first name, "Marcelo". Marcelo was the first striker, to play for Sheffield United, whose name ended in an "O" (I think!). But there have been others since - can anyone name them?

And another question for you... There haven't been many Sheffield United players that have been referred to only by their first name (in the programme or on their shirt) - like Marcelo - but there are a few others - can anyone name them?

(Look...I know it's a shite quiz - but there's bugger all else to do, so you might as well have a go at it!).;)
1586952992609.png

On the left looks like Jeff Hall,17 caps, England full back. Player tackling Ronnie Waldock (Loved watching him, not the greatest but loads of effort and some skill) I thought might be Roy Paul, Welsh international, but he never played for Brum. It did however bring this photo up. Those of my age group may find interesting.View attachment 77185Back row LtoR Ivor Allchurch, Lens brother, if you don't know who Len is use google or S6 is on the slippery slope, UKN, Roy Paul, Man City captain in Trautmann broken neck FACF, Jack Kelsey, associated with a foggy, visibility around 20 yds., FA Cup replay V Arsenal at the Lane, The Great John Charles, UKN. Front row LtoR Believe a young Cliff Jones of Spurs double winning team, Derek Tapscott-Arsenal skilful inside forward, Can't remember Christian name-Sherwood probably captain, Trevor Ford top 50's CF, big money transfer to Sunderland think from Villa know he played for them. UKN looks a big unit though probably seconded him from the Welsh Rugby Union 15.

Are you sure the captain fella is Sherwood? Looks like Jimmy Scoular

Ravel Morrison's a recent one.

I miss the simpler times when foreign (or at least foreign descended) players changed their names so us uncultured swine who were only used to names like Fred, Mick and Tony could pronounce them.

Think the practice ended around the time Imre Varadi went to Everton.

Back
Top Bottom