Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I once saw Ronnie Sharp and his band in there. They weren’t too bad either.
Like Ice like fire ,so did I. I remember once there about 100 of us hidden in there , Wednesday were supposed to be coming down London Rd. It was a big mob of BBC and the old boys ,young uns were sent out looking for them ,I think they were all in the Gate :rolleyes:

Went on the Domino in the mid 80s.
Me and a couple of mates had a thing about Wards and picked up one of those maps of all their pubs (from the Roland Arms at Swallownest IIRC).

Excluding the Darleys of Thorne ones, I think there were about 120 in the region and we got around about half, before it became too much like hard work.
Some dodgy ones like the Domino, Bathfield Netherthorpe and Target on Park Hill but some lovely boozers too.

Hallamshire (Commonside) and Grindstone (Crookes) are still regular haunts of ours. Sadly we lost a couple on Scotland St, the Meadow St Tavern, Red House on Solly St, Royal Oak, Hollis Croft the one at the bottom of Eccy Rd, Matilda etc etc.

Me and a couple of mates had a thing about Wards and picked up one of those maps of all their pubs (from the Roland Arms at Swallownest IIRC).

Excluding the Darleys of Thorne ones, I think there were about 120 in the region and we got around about half, before it became too much like hard work.
Some dodgy ones like the Domino, Bathfield Netherthorpe and Target on Park Hill but some lovely boozers too.

Hallamshire (Commonside) and Grindstone (Crookes) are still regular haunts of ours. Sadly we lost a couple on Scotland St, the Meadow St Tavern, Red House on Solly St, Royal Oak, Hollis Croft the one at the bottom of Eccy Rd, Matilda etc etc.

I used to enjoy Wards.

I remember enjoying a Saturday night 'lock-in' at the one on Scotland Street which I thought was ironical as it was opposite West Bar police station.

Although probably most of it's customers were officers of the law.

I remember enjoying a Saturday night 'lock-in' at the one on Scotland Street

There were two on Scotland St. One has just re-opened as the Crow and the other is the Queen's Hotel. The building is still standing but planning has just gone in for....wait for it....... another block of flats.

There were two on Scotland St. One has just re-opened as the Crow and the other is the Queen's Hotel. The building is still standing but planning has just gone in for....wait for it....... another block of flats.

Ruth and Barry's

Scottish and Newcastle and their Tartan brand had little presence in Sheffield.

Claymore on Arundel Gate (as mentioned) and the only other one I can think of is the Nailmakers (Yates) near Norton Water Tower.

I think the Top Rank sold it as maybe other clubs. S&N probably threw a shed load of money at these clubs in order to get their beer in.

Absolute crap beer and only made consumable with the addition of a bottle of brown or Guinness.
From hazy memory the Nailmakers was a Youngers pub, Yates was the one on the old main road (still there). Nailmakers had Youngers No 3, which wasn't actually bad. Crap pub though.

They formed a Sunday League side run from the Domino early 80s made up mainly of Blade hoolies .
Crazy set up

They formed a Sunday League side run from the Domino early 80s made up mainly of Blade hoolies .
Crazy set up

After they hit the front page of the Star we knocked them out of the cup in the next round. Some of us knew a few of them and they were remarkably calm that day, although their rubbing oils smelled a bit strange. We also had a couple of lads off the flats there whose reputations were, err quite impressive. , including a guy who knocked three opponents out, and I mean out, up at Lodge Moor one Sunday.

After they hit the front page of the Star we knocked them out of the cup in the next round. Some of us knew a few of them and they were remarkably calm that day, although their rubbing oils smelled a bit strange. We also had a couple of lads off the flats there whose reputations were, err quite impressive. , including a guy who knocked three opponents out, and I mean out, up at Lodge Moor one Sunday.
We played a Sunday Cup game up a Lodge Moor against somebody out of the Nomad League we won 14-0 and I played in the net freezing my nuts off I pleaded with the manager to let me have the last twenty up front .
No chance:mad:

One of my favourite footballers in that Army team. When I went around to grounds within a 40-mile radius (having played school football on Saturday morning, when United were away), I chose if possible to get to a match involving Spurs or Sunderland. Len Shackleton was the original Sunderland player I wanted to see, but I soon became an admirer of Stan Anderson - excellent all-round midfielder. And he played in red-and-White stripes.

After 4 league games of the 1965-66 season, we had already played Liverpool twice (in 7 days) . We won 1-0 at Anfield and drew 0-0 at home but Liverpool went on to win the league.

Sean,
Where you say "After they hit the front page of the Star"
What was the story about in The Star ? What year was it?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom