Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Before Bert's time it has a reputation for prostitutes.
It would have made a good Gentleman's Club.

Prostitutes in one room, Friends of Dorothy in the other.

The working girls moved down to the Minerva early seventies.

FB_IMG_1585779238674.jpg
OK this is isn't for no reason : this is gordon loukes who played for united, this is a photo from the 40s when he played for Sheffield University, his daughter Gill would like to know if anybody knows where the picture was taken? For the family to know the history better : many many thanks in advance

View attachment 75658

OK this is isn't for no reason : this is gordon loukes who played for united, this is a photo from the 40s when he played for Sheffield University, his daughter Gill would like to know if anybody knows where the picture was taken? For the family to know the history better : many many thanks in advance

Hallam?

Oct 1984
The relatively short-lived Broomhall flats, Broomspring Lane. Taken from Upper Hanover Street. No offence to anyone who lived there, but they were not too easy on the eye.
View attachment 75579
Also, same date from close by, a view up Upper Hanover Street, pre dual carriageway towards the University.
View attachment 75580
Ah yes and the very interesting Domino pub by Wards. Somewhat space age and very short lived. Anyone got any photos?

Oct 1984
The relatively short-lived Broomhall flats, Broomspring Lane. Taken from Upper Hanover Street. No offence to anyone who lived there, but they were not too easy on the eye.
View attachment 75579
Also, same date from close by, a view up Upper Hanover Street, pre dual carriageway towards the University.
View attachment 75580

That top photo reminds me of this...

1585806089269.png

Lovely isn't it?😍

Would love to take that for a long drive!

The Austin Maxi ladies and gentleman. A fine vehicle in its day!

Agree.

Websters Pennine Bitter - dreadful. I think it's fair to say it comes as no surprise that Websters are no longer around. Another brewery that threw a lot of money at pubs and clubs particularly in West Yorkshire

Websters Pennine Bitter - 'Drives Out the Northern Thirst' - don't think so.

Foul stuff even with the likes of Shipstones around!

Linking in with the earlier pictures of Broomhall flats, I lived for 3 years 95-98 ish where the old flats used to be. They were new builds at the very bottom of Gell st. We used to occasionally frequent the Domino and Bath hotel which were the closest 2 boozers. The Domino was run by a northern Irishman called Dixie, a character with a reputation of someone not to be messed with. Strange looking pub.

Used to drink it in The Strawberry in 1983 which was just around the corner from my student digs. Always found it a bit sweet, but I usually managed.
Used to go in The Strawberry when at SJP. Real old dump of a pub. Wonder if it's still there as I'm looking to go there when football restarts. Wouldn't mind a 9 gal keg of 4X for about 65p. Keep me going all weekend.🤖

I lived on the corner of Broomspring Lane and Brunswick Street around 1989 and the corner of Brunswick Street and Holberry Close around 93/94. It used to be pretty lively in those days. I bet the houses round there are quite costly now, it’s a good location for town.
For no earthly reason that I can recall, I took these pics around there also, all in October 1984.
Below, Brunswick St
BRUNSWICK ST 102984.jpg
Below, Wilkinson St
Wilkinson St 101984.jpg
Below, Broomspring Lane.
Broomspring Lane 101984.jpg
I had a mate who lived on Williams St around the early/mid sixties, before it was redeveloped. We used to sneak up to Broomspring Lane sweet shop, but no further. The other side, particularly Havelock Sq area was a definite no-no to pre-adolescent lads....

Used to go in The Strawberry when at SJP. Real old dump of a pub. Wonder if it's still there as I'm looking to go there when football restarts. Wouldn't mind a 9 gal keg of 4X for about 65p. Keep me going all weekend.🤖
100% still there , work a bit in Newcastle from time to time and had a nostalgic wander around there a few months ago.

For no earthly reason that I can recall, I took these pics around there also, all in October 1984.
Below, Brunswick St
View attachment 75682
Below, Wilkinson St
View attachment 75684
Below, Broomspring Lane.
View attachment 75685
I had a mate who lived on Williams St around the early/mid sixties, before it was redeveloped. We used to sneak up to Broomspring Lane sweet shop, but no further. The other side, particularly Havelock Sq area was a definite no-no to pre-adolescent lads....

Early 90s when I was around 9/10 we weren't allow down Broomspring past Gloucester street.

Back
Top Bottom