Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Oct 1984
The relatively short-lived Broomhall flats, Broomspring Lane. Taken from Upper Hanover Street. No offence to anyone who lived there, but they were not too easy on the eye.
October 1984.jpg
Also, same date from close by, a view up Upper Hanover Street, pre dual carriageway towards the University.
Oct 1984.jpg

Oct 1984
The relatively short-lived Broomhall flats, Broomspring Lane. Taken from Upper Hanover Street. No offence to anyone who lived there, but they were not too easy on the eye.
View attachment 75579
Also, same date from close by, a view up Upper Hanover Street, pre dual carriageway towards the University.
View attachment 75580

I was born into one of the condemned houses on Upper Hanover Street would have been on the left of that picture, 3rd one up I've been told. Huge house, now a car park for a business.

It could be the one you can see on that picture. But I'm not sure. Was born in 1983, lived in that house for a few months until the family moved out. We ended up on Dorset Street, with other family members on Gloucester Stret just up Broomspring lane.

Also the 'Wee Willie' at North Anston.

When I went in the Top Rank (Sham69, Undertones, Skids etc) IIRC it was Websters. This was one of the few beers that could make S&N beers seem packed full of flavour.

I think S&N owned John Smiths at that point, so most of the local pubs would be branded Smiths rather than Youngers.

Agree.

Websters Pennine Bitter - dreadful. I think it's fair to say it comes as no surprise that Websters are no longer around. Another brewery that threw a lot of money at pubs and clubs particularly in West Yorkshire

Websters Pennine Bitter - 'Drives Out the Northern Thirst' - don't think so.

Oct 1984
View attachment 75579
View attachment 75580
My mate used to live in those flats for a while. Not great. I remember after they shut them down walking past at night and it was quite spooky.

I was born into one of the condemned houses on Upper Hanover Street would have been on the left of that picture, 3rd one up I've been told. Huge house, now a car park for a business.

It could be the one you can see on that picture. But I'm not sure. Was born in 1983, lived in that house for a few months until the family moved out. We ended up on Dorset Street, with other family members on Gloucester Stret just up Broomspring lane.
I lived on the corner of Broomspring Lane and Brunswick Street around 1989 and the corner of Brunswick Street and Holberry Close around 93/94. It used to be pretty lively in those days. I bet the houses round there are quite costly now, it’s a good location for town.

Dodgy boozer all sorts went in.
Bert can remember going in and two gangs of lads ending up chucking pint glasses at each other with Bert in the middle ducking.

A few years later the Teddy Boy revival gang took over.

Also the 'Wee Willie' at North Anston.

When I went in the Top Rank (Sham69, Undertones, Skids etc) IIRC it was Websters. This was one of the few beers that could make S&N beers seem packed full of flavour.

I think S&N owned John Smiths at that point, so most of the local pubs would be branded Smiths rather than Youngers.

Courage owned John Smiths in the 70’s and 80’s.

Bert can remember going in and two gangs of lads ending up chucking pint glasses at each other with Bert in the middle ducking.

Wasn't also a haunt for transvestites before the "enlightenment"?

Same old Arsenal,
Always cheating...

View attachment 75603
A fraction of a second later if you study both photos. Tommy Johnson and Harry Hooper in same positions. Ted Drake moves from middle to the right post. Jack Smith successfully carries the ball out of danger and almost collided against the post after Jack Crayston barges into him and then ending up in the net.

1585772818606.png

Last edited:
Youngers was crap but for a time they did Newcastle Exhibition which was a fine drink in its day when I worked up in the North East.

Exhibition mmm Once got hammered on that in a Hartlepool WMC and later on ended up falling asleep in the middle of a BJ!
We ended up married but she never let me forget that. :D

I lived on the corner of Broomspring Lane and Brunswick Street around 1989 and the corner of Brunswick Street and Holberry Close around 93/94. It used to be pretty lively in those days. I bet the houses round there are quite costly now, it’s a good location for town.

We probably hedge hopped through your garden then. Great run from the university buildings all the way down. Haha

A fraction of a second later if you study both photos. Tommy Johnson and Harry Hooper in same positions. Ted Drake moves from middle to the right post. Jack Smith successfully carries the ball out of danger and almost collided against the post after Jack Crayston barges into him and then ending up in the net.

View attachment 75645
Great knowledge, Silent Blade.
Deffo looks like Smith had it under control and Crayston was leading with his elbow in the first photo. Naughty!

I remember that Teddy Boy revival thing 73/74 time was rocking in that concert room Saturday night

Back
Top Bottom