Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Spoke once to Mick Prendergast, told him " I wish you were at Bramall Lane", he answered " me too". Apparently a real nice guy beset by illness and injury. Had to retire early and overdid the alcohol which caused his premature death.
Our junior school went on a school trip to Hillsborough circa 1975 - I was 9 and the only Blade . Born behind the enemy lines in Grenoside.

On arrival Miss Yuill ( not bad, about 22 at the time,from Birkenhead) asked me to remove my ' Furphy's Aces' scarf. Somehow , I manged to divert her attention and kept it on. Get in.

My abiding memory is of Mick Prendergast training ,running up and down their North Stand steps , top to bottom , a fair few times.

Dripping in sweat he was charm personified when all the kids were asking for his autograph afterwards.

I hadn't realised he had died prematurely until reading this thread and it's made me quite sad. He seemed such a lovely bloke.

It's funny the things you remember.

One or two people have said they cannot remember the little house in Andingmen's post #14815. I'm amongst them, but you can clearly see the same house in the far left of this photo. Maybe it was because the pavilion itself was such an imposing building that the little house became a bit lost. Strange how the mind plays tricks on you.

Yes, it is strange indeed. I've still been puzzling over it since. This may have been shown before but here's part of a map from the NLS site, which seems to show the house in relative isolation, just above the "ER" in Cherry Street.
The map is from somewhere between the dates 1891-1913, I think. However, I'm still no wiser about its function.View attachment 74031

From memory, in the recorded interviews I have with Eric Burgin, on several occasions Eric mentions a “little house” that the groundsman lived in, on-site at Bramall Lane—the groundsman having year-round responsibility for the cricket pitch, the nets behind the kop, the football pitch, the indoor winter shed, and the bowling green too (before it was paved over for car parking).

I’m guessing this is the house that’s pictured, on Cherry St? I’ll try to dig out the relevant transcripts from my recordings, and report back. For info on Eric, and the work I did with him before he died in 2012, pls see:

Did a quick web search which came up with a couple of websites which listed his previous clubs as Bury and Burnley, but show nothing after he left us.
He was abducted by aliens after leaving Samanthas nightclub in the early hours of the morning and never seen again.

These are brilliant photos. I would love to know more about them, and your role (without wishing to be nosey).
It's nothing exciting unfortunately, I'm struggling to remember myself!
I'm sure my mate was doing a photography course at Norton College and someone else on his course had a placement and he gave them to me. Though it must have been a long placement as it covers a few seasons.

Spoke once to Mick Prendergast, told him " I wish you were at Bramall Lane", he answered " me too". Apparently a real nice guy beset by illness and injury. Had to retire early and overdid the alcohol which caused his premature death.
Once played against him on a Sunday morning , both knees bandaged , hardly moved but was brilliant and ran the game. Nice bloke after too.

From memory, in the recorded interviews I have with Eric Burgin, on several occasions Eric mentions a “little house” that the groundsman lived in, on-site at Bramall Lane—the groundsman having year-round responsibility for the cricket pitch, the nets behind the kop, the football pitch, the indoor winter shed, and the bowling green too (before it was paved over for car parking).

I’m guessing this is the house that’s pictured, on Cherry St? I’ll try to dig out the relevant transcripts from my recordings, and report back. For info on Eric, and the work I did with him before he died in 2012, pls see:

Thanks so much for all this information. What you have written about the little house on Cherry street makes perfect sense. It would have been in the perfect location for all the duties you mentioned. I can comfortably stop pondering now!

My abiding memory is of Mick Prendergast training ,running up and down their North Stand steps , top to bottom , a fair few times.

Dripping in sweat he was charm personified when all the kids were asking for his autograph afterwards.

I hadn't realised he had died prematurely until reading this thread and it's made me quite sad. He seemed such a lovely bloke.

It's funny the things you remember.
[/QUOTE]
Apparently from someones sister who nursed him through his last days, he realised it was his fault, never moaned and accepted his fate.

Last edited:
Great docu film on YoooTooob called The Golden Vision by Ken Loach. Not seen it for years but remember it starred Ken Jones, the Liverpool John Comer, and think there was a Blades clip in it, but don't quote me on that. One of my all time heroes The Rock. Would love to have the picture of him with Billy Bremner's neck and collar in his hands a la Dave Mackay.

Last edited:
Summer 1986, now the site of Millennium Galleries. I seem to remember going in that long low building a few years earlier than the photo to tax my first ever pride and joy - a clapped out, column change, bench seat Ford Corsair :)
View attachment 75532
Was a regular at the Central Deaf club which is on the far left of the photo!

Highland Bitter in a plastic glass if I remember rightly.
Yep, in the Castaways Bar with George playing the music and a strong smell of patchouli oil.

Highland Bitter in a plastic glass if I remember rightly.

Originally in pint mugs, like you got in pubs that sold draught double diamond.

Edit, ignore me, thought it was about the Claymore.

Note to self, look at attachment.

Scottish and Newcastle and their Tartan brand had little presence in Sheffield.

Claymore on Arundel Gate (as mentioned) and the only other one I can think of is the Nailmakers (Yates) near Norton Water Tower.

I think the Top Rank sold it as maybe other clubs. S&N probably threw a shed load of money at these clubs in order to get their beer in.

Absolute crap beer and only made consumable with the addition of a bottle of brown or Guinness.

Claymore on Arundel Gate (as mentioned) and the only other one I can think of is the Nailmakers (Yates) near Norton Water Tower.

I think the Top Rank sold it as maybe other clubs. S&N probably threw a shed load of money at these clubs in order to get their beer in.

Absolute crap beer and only made consumable with the addition of a bottle of brown or Guinness.

Youngers was crap but for a time they did Newcastle Exhibition which was a fine drink in its day when I worked up in the North East.

That makes perfect sense!
My schoolmate was clearly on the wind-up telling me it was short for skeleton because they found a dead body there.

I lived just up the road near the farm. Skellys bridge... we thought it was because if you looked alond the wall from one end, the stones looked like a silhouette of a person.

Sorry, I can't help. My missus used to work in there occasionally, and she recalls it was more or less opposite the main entrance on a left hand corner, looking from the stand. Oh, and they had "rattles and pennants and scarves in the window" - not much help I'm afraid! But I hope you're successful in your search. I'd love to see a photo too.
When I was a programme seller we used to finish off by going to an upstairs room in somewhere that sounds similar to hand over the cash from sales and take our divi.
Must admit I can't remember in any detail what the downstairs was used for.

Also the 'Wee Willie' at North Anston.

When I went in the Top Rank (Sham69, Undertones, Skids etc) IIRC it was Websters. This was one of the few beers that could make S&N beers seem packed full of flavour.

I think S&N owned John Smiths at that point, so most of the local pubs would be branded Smiths rather than Youngers.

Back
Top Bottom