Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Aren't you two writing about two different photos?

For what its worth, I think that I may have watched the last cricket match at Bramall Lane live on TV - anyone else remember it or is it just my imagination?

ps in trying to find out whether or not that roses match was televised, I happened upon this account of cricket at Bramall Lane http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/140272.html

this passage might ring a few bells, it was written in 1973........ nought changes (they were probably reporting the same attitude in 1895)..... it uses the word 'shrewd', I'm not sure what it means as I've not heard it used for 40 years...

Screen Shot 2016-12-13 at 12.17.44.png

Last edited:
12274668_10153264333485950_5448385266841357687_n.jpg
I can see my street.:)

Like the one of Suggs on Pinstone Street. What an emporium that was! Could spend hours in there looking at footy boots and trainers. Then off to Wilson Pecks to look at guitars. And downstairs in the basement, or off to Phillip Canns on Chapel walk, to look at records. Never bought anything but liked looking.

That little arcade down the side of Suggs (Pinstone Arcade) was charming too. There was the first Sweeney barber shop in there. 2 blokes, one with a beard and blond hair and one with a rash and dark hair, delivering trendy haircuts to the youth of the day.

Great memories!

Sounds like my Saturdays as well

Summer 1961. Bigger floodlights were about to replace the smaller floodlights

The little pylons went to Chesterfield for a small fee. One of them was halfway erected and then came down again, and in the end none of them were ever used because they were considered to be too short.

Saltergate was the last ground in the League without floodlights. They didn't arrive till 1967 and were inaugurated with a friendly match against the Pigs.

The little pylons went to Chesterfield for a small fee. One of them was halfway erected and then came down again, and in the end none of them were ever used because they were considered to be too short.

Saltergate was the last ground in the League without floodlights. They didn't arrive till 1967 and were inaugurated with a friendly match against the Pigs.

So they put them in 3 years before they actually discovered electricity over there? I'm impressed ;)

Question, the cricket square & outfield directly adjacent to the old pavilion was / is from the old photos billiard table flat - but the existing car park behind the South stand has a pronounced slope?

Builders rubble?

A couple more interesting photos from a 1971 programme vs watford with a few clips from the game against cardiff a few days earlier, both of which I saw as a kid. Was a terrific era and we were promoted and faced Arsenal away in the first match of the next season and we won 1-0 and were top of the old first division (now premiership) for several weeks until that fateful match at old trafford and that bloody george best goal they show on TV all too often.

img080.jpg img080.jpg img081.jpg

Was a terrific era and we were promoted and faced Arsenal away in the first match of the next season and we won 1-0 and were top of the old first division (now premiership) for several weeks until that fateful match at old trafford and that bloody george best goal they show on TV all too often.

The 1-0 win at Arsenal was the 4th league game of the season.

Blades 3 Spurs 1 in Sept 1962 or Blades 3 Spurs 3 in October 1963? All three in photo played in both matches and Greaves scored in both games

The quiz was in the 1962/3 Football Champions annual, my childhood Bible, so the match must have been the 3-1 win. And it must have been a great win indeed because Tottenham's team was probably the best in the country at the time, although Everton won the League.

The classic Spurs XI that season was Brown: Baker Henry: Blanchflower Norman Mackay: Dyson White Smith Greaves Jones.

The quiz was in the 1963 Football Champions annual, my childhood Bible, so the match must have been the 3-1 win. And it must have been a great win indeed because Tottenham's team was probably the best in the country at the time, although Everton won the League.

The classic Spurs XI that season was Brown: Baker Henry: Blanchflower Norman Mackay: Dyson White Smith Greaves Jones.
Hodgson. Allchurch and Kettleborough scored for us. The line ups were
Blades; Hodgkinson, Coldwell, G Shaw, Richardson, J Shaw, Summers, Allchurch, Kettleborough, Pace, Hodgson and Hartle
Spurs; Brown, Baker, Henry, Blanchflower, Norman, Mackay, Medwin, White, Allen, Greaves and Jones

The quiz was in the 1962/3 Football Champions annual, my childhood Bible, so the match must have been the 3-1 win. And it must have been a great win indeed because Tottenham's team was probably the best in the country at the time, although Everton won the League.

That is the "Double" team with the addition of Greaves.

A couple more interesting photos from a 1971 programme vs watford with a few clips from the game against cardiff a few days earlier, both of which I saw as a kid. Was a terrific era and we were promoted and faced Arsenal away in the first match of the next season and we won 1-0 and were top of the old first division (now premiership) for several weeks until that fateful match at old trafford and that bloody george best goal they show on TV all too often.

View attachment 21133 View attachment 21133 View attachment 21134
Best referee ever.

Pickwick_drawing_Nast.jpg

Back
Top Bottom