Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Could well be. That looks like Jack Simmons in the slips and I reckon Peter Lever is bowling. August 1969 if it is.

If it was August 1969 then was it just before our opening match against Middlesboro'?

Arthur Rowley dismissed about the same time. John Harris takes over again

When they made the kop all-seater, a mate of mine went down trying to beg a sheet of the red-painted corrugated iron (by then sun-bleached to pink) which he wanted to mount on his living room wall. He also tried to beg one of the pedal-operated turnstiles - again for his living room. His wife wasn't impressed.

Strangely, they're no longer together.
There’s a guy in the Lodge Moor area who has a turnstile in his garden apparently, the neighbours think it’s to stop his missis getting into his man-shed.

what memories, used to take the two lads,oh aprox 45 years ago . when the old pavillian was there, stood at john street uncle from vincent road good family get together us from southey green road. result didnt matter, still get to go, with my grandson also remember wagging of school to watch the cricket about 1947 - 1949. remember the tempary stand on the cricket pitch mmemories white coldwell hagan grayham shaw joe shaw kieth richardson woodward etc etc. good old memories its been 70 years now watching the blades. still a few more years yet

what memories, used to take the two lads,oh aprox 45 years ago . when the old pavillian was there, stood at john street uncle from vincent road good family get together us from southey green road. result didnt matter, still get to go, with my grandson also remember wagging of school to watch the cricket about 1947 - 1949. remember the tempary stand on the cricket pitch mmemories white coldwell hagan grayham shaw joe shaw kieth richardson woodward etc etc. good old memories its been 70 years now watching the blades. still a few more years yet
Great memories indeed. People will find it hard now to understand the efforts we made to watch county cricket. I remember racing down to the Lane after school one afternoon (I wasn't brave enough to wag off) for the last couple of hours of a match building up to an exciting finish. As I went into the ground, it started to chuck it down, and the players were leaving the pitch. Match abandoned as a draw!

Great memories indeed. People will find it hard now to understand the efforts we made to watch county cricket. I remember racing down to the Lane after school one afternoon (I wasn't brave enough to wag off) for the last couple of hours of a match building up to an exciting finish. As I went into the ground, it started to chuck it down, and the players were leaving the pitch. Match abandoned as a draw!

I was at Norton Free School between 1962 and 1969. Once you were out of the Infants, the school day finished at 4pm. This was a problem for me and another boy in our class, both of us Unitedites and Yorkshire cricket fanatics, because the 38 bus (which stopped virtually outside the school on Matthews Lane and which went via Bramall Lane en route to town) was an hourly service, 58 minutes past the hour. The post-tea session in County Championship matches was 4.30pm to 6.30pm and the bus journey took about 30 minutes, winding its interminable way round Meersbrook. The 4.58 wasn’t much use as you’d only get there for the last hour. The 3.58 would clearly get us there for the whole of the session but obviously clashed with the school timetable. Fortunately, we had a teacher who was a sports nut himself and he approached the headmaster on our behalf and got us special dispensation to leave five minutes early whenever Yorkshire were playing. My recollection is that we did this every summer from the age of about seven onwards. I can’t imagine that a school nowadays would sanction kids of that age being out and about unsupervised on public transport at all.

I was at Norton Free School between 1962 and 1969. Once you were out of the Infants, the school day finished at 4pm. This was a problem for me and another boy in our class, both of us Unitedites and Yorkshire cricket fanatics, because the 38 bus (which stopped virtually outside the school on Matthews Lane and which went via Bramall Lane en route to town) was an hourly service, 58 minutes past the hour. The post-tea session in County Championship matches was 4.30pm to 6.30pm and the bus journey took about 30 minutes, winding its interminable way round Meersbrook. The 4.58 wasn’t much use as you’d only get there for the last hour. The 3.58 would clearly get us there for the whole of the session but obviously clashed with the school timetable. Fortunately, we had a teacher who was a sports nut himself and he approached the headmaster on our behalf and got us special dispensation to leave five minutes early whenever Yorkshire were playing. My recollection is that we did this every summer from the age of about seven onwards. I can’t imagine that a school nowadays would sanction kids of that age being out and about unsupervised on public transport at all.
Wonderful details in that post. Great memories, and social history in abundance. We were lucky to have a frequent bus service, and could generally be in the ground for the last session. Can you remember whether we had to pay to get in? Only downside for me was it meant having to wait a long time for tea.

Wonderful details in that post. Great memories, and social history in abundance. We were lucky to have a frequent bus service, and could generally be in the ground for the last session. Can you remember whether we had to pay to get in? Only downside for me was it meant having to wait a long time for tea.

That’s a good question about paying to get in. I honestly can’t remember. What I do remember is that the scorecards were updated as the day went on so if you bought one after tea, for example, it would have - neatly printed - the details up to the tea break. Quite an impressive feat when you think about it. I also recall the bloke who came round selling them: “scooooerin’ cards, get yer scooooerin’ cards.”

All the Yorkshire team were as much household names as the United players, in our house at least. You worshipped Trueman and Close and Illingworth like you worshipped Hodgkinson, Jones and Birchenall.

You should have just walked up to the water tower and caught the number 33 which was more frequent and went more directly to town. You could then have dropped off on London Road and you could have made your way to the ground from there.
Must admit I spent more time there than was allowed but seeing the likes of Fred Trueman and Tony Nicholson in full flow was a magnificent sight.

You should have just walked up to the water tower and caught the number 33 which was more frequent and went more directly to town. You could then have dropped off on London Road and you could have made your way to the ground from there.
Must admit I spent more time there than was allowed but seeing the likes of Fred Trueman and Tony Nicholson in full flow was a magnificent sight.

....”stumped Binks, bowled Nicholson” - if I hadn’t seen it, I’d never have believed it

Cricket of the highest class

That must have been some reaction from Binks!!
When Nicholson was in his later career years and had lost a bit of his pace, Binks stood up to him a lot - it kept the batsmen in the crease and allowed him to pitch it up further to swing. Jimmy Binks was a magnificent keeper, and he and Phil Sharpe, at first slip, and FST at short-leg missed very little.

When Nicholson was in his later career years and had lost a bit of his pace, Binks stood up to him a lot - it kept the batsmen in the crease and allowed him to pitch it up further to swing. Jimmy Binks was a magnificent keeper, and he and Phil Sharpe, at first slip, and FST at short-leg missed very little.

I remember a photo in the Sundays of a catch Sharpe made for England. Superb catch and superb photo. Just looked up Phil Sharpe on Wikipedia and it may well have been against the West Indies in 1969.

From 1959 to 1968, Yorkshire won the County Championship seven or eight times - they were a magnificent team, every player from the county cricket leagues, and an absolute pleasure to watch for a schoolkid. Brilliant batting and bowling, but above all, fielding that would possibly be the best in the world game - not sliding around like today, but the catching and throwing was awesome.

Spinners like Wardle, Don Wilson and Illingworth would pressurise batsmen with close fielders such as Binks, Close, Trueman, all of whom liked a chat whilst working...

Great days, great players all.

14 FL appearances between 1960 and 1967. Never appeared in squad photos as he was a part time contract for us and worked at a hospital.

View attachment 58007

Mr S, can you remember a player called John Moore,appeared around Easter time(not entirely sure about the time period) in the first Bassett promotion season, came, played a few games, disappeared never to be seen again.

I always thought he was a ringer, that DB had put in a wig and beard to play, he was really some Wimbledon player

Back
Top Bottom