Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Great old picture, showing where I stood on the Kop.

Image result for Bramall Lane 1952
You must have got there well before kick-off to take that picture! We used to stand in a similar position to the left of the goal - ready to get round to the Lane end more quickly. Great picture, very nostalgic. Cheers.

Junction of (foreground) Clough Road, Bramall Lane and (centre) Sheldon Street showing (l.to r.) F. E. Hall and Co.Ltd, motor radiator repairers and sheet metal workers and Kennings Ltd., service station and car dealers

Could well be. That looks like Jack Simmons in the slips and I reckon Peter Lever is bowling. August 1969 if it is.
Keeper stood up and a short leg slip would suggest it's a spinner rather than Lever. Hazy memories of Lever nearly decapitating an NZ tailender and being in tears as he surveyed the stricken bloke.

Keeper stood up and a short leg slip would suggest it's a spinner rather than Lever. Hazy memories of Lever nearly decapitating an NZ tailender and being in tears as he surveyed the stricken bloke.

Yes, it probably is a spinner. Simmons is in the slips so it isn't him, studying the action I'm still not sure who it may be, could be a part-time bowler.

That does seem a bit grand for a football stadium press box to me. Saying that,I have no idea what the norm would have been in that era. Was ours unique and would it have been used for the cricket, hence why it presumably looks a bit bigger and more spacious if you're going to be stuck in it all day ?
Originally,it could have been used for a multitude of functions I just don't know. All I know is that in my time it was the Press box. It does seem strange that it was altered so dramatically after the war when in the 1940 photo it seems relatively intact, this club never ceases to amaze me in all aspects of it's being.

Bert often wonders, if anyone rescued a bit of the old white fence and still has it in their garden.

When they made the kop all-seater, a mate of mine went down trying to beg a sheet of the red-painted corrugated iron (by then sun-bleached to pink) which he wanted to mount on his living room wall. He also tried to beg one of the pedal-operated turnstiles - again for his living room. His wife wasn't impressed.

Strangely, they're no longer together.

When they made the kop all-seater, a mate of mine went down trying to beg a sheet of the red-painted corrugated iron (by then sun-bleached to pink) which he wanted to mount on his living room wall. He also tried to beg one of the pedal-operated turnstiles - again for his living room. His wife wasn't impressed.

Strangely, they're no longer together.

Women eh, never happy,

Back
Top Bottom