Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

s-l1600.jpg
Len Badger looks a bit like Billy Sharp

View attachment 41108
John Taylors on Surrey Street, my dad used to take me there for my monthly bowl cut :eek:

I went to Taylors, gentlemans hair dressers when it was run by Grandad Taylor as he was called utilising a separate room to the rest of the salon.
His son John Taylor used to run the first chair in, with the present John Taylor being his son who I went to school with.
Young Mr Taylor had two sons John who went into the business and another one who's name I cannot recall but they went to Carfield school with me and lived on Thorpe House Road, the lower part just above Cat Lane Woods.
There was also working there a John, a polish gentleman, Ernest a tall figure of a man, while there might have been others they were the ones I recall.
Men used to go to Ernest to have their hair singed in those days.
John cut my hair for a long time including a wedding cut.
He opened his own shop at Highfields but it did not succeed and moved onto T C Harrisons the Ford dealer who opened up a salon in the show room, the idea being to have a hair cut when one took the car in for service etc.
I also used to go to J C Rands opposite John Lewis latterly in 1960's before leaving Sheffield for Grimsby.
John at Taylors used to be a Blade supporter have come to England after fighting for us in the second world war.
Above Taylors in long gone days was Tuckwoods restaurant.

My first visit to Taylors would have been around 1946-47, what a long time ago now.
Very unique for a family business to have been so successful and handed down through the generations.

Why should I post this, probably because Wilder goes in and partly because I will always be a Sheffielder and a Blade.

Sorry to bore you all.

UTB

I virtually lived in the Lido and Millhouses park in my early teens. SPOT against the wall at the top end of the park sharpened your football skills up ,too short it was in the river ,too high on the railway line ,Padder tennis ,quick game of draughts then chat some posh lasses up across at Dobcroft youth club ,or rough uns up at rowlinson. I loved my teens.
Hey I went to Rowlinson!!!!!
Remember the lido and Millhouses Park

I had all of those as a kid, Gold and Silver Bond cars, Batmobile, Batboat, Batman and Robin figures, the vehicles from the TV series "Thunderbirds", "Captain Scarlet" and "UFO", Action Man (of course) and I also had a Knight in armour, like an Action Man, and I had a spy (also like Action Man) called "Mike Hazard".

Ah.....good old days........

My Brother had loads of the original Star Wars figures and vehicles. Gave them to our Cousin when he outgrew them. Some of them now are worth a lot of money.

I went to Taylors, gentlemans hair dressers when it was run by Grandad Taylor as he was called utilising a separate room to the rest of the salon.
His son John Taylor used to run the first chair in, with the present John Taylor being his son who I went to school with.
Young Mr Taylor had two sons John who went into the business and another one who's name I cannot recall but they went to Carfield school with me and lived on Thorpe House Road, the lower part just above Cat Lane Woods.
There was also working there a John, a polish gentleman, Ernest a tall figure of a man, while there might have been others they were the ones I recall.
He opened his own shop at Highfields but it did not succeed and moved onto T C Harrisons the Ford dealer who opened up a salon in the show room, the idea being to have a hair cut when one took the car in for service etc.
I also used to go to J C Rands opposite John Lewis latterly in 1960's before leaving Sheffield for Grimsby.
John at Taylors used to be a Blade supporter have come to England after fighting for us in the second world war.

My first visit to Taylors would have been around 1946-47, what a long time ago now.
Very unique for a family business to have been so successful and handed down through the generations.

Why should I post this, probably because Wilder goes in and partly because I will always be a Sheffielder and a Blade.

Sorry to bore you all.

UTB
Robert, I knew them well, working in the hairdressing wholesale business.

When the cinema was really a movie theatre

View attachment 41130
The ABC. Quite a big cinema with about 1,300 seats. The seats at the front of the cinema were cheaper than the ones In the foreground of the picture. I think they were described as Pullman seats and were wider and thicker than the cheaper seats. They were somewhere to take a new girlfriend to impress her (simple pleasures).

I remember the film Earthquake was described as being in "Sensurround"

This was a low frequency sound emitted by large speakers placed at the side of the auditorium and were switched on during the earthquake sequences. It felt like your internal organs were vibrating and was quite effective (well for 1974 it was)

The ABC. Quite a big cinema with about 1,300 seats. The seats at the front of the cinema were cheaper than the ones In the foreground of the picture. I think they were described as Pullman seats and were wider and thicker than the cheaper seats. They were somewhere to take a new girlfriend to impress her (simple pleasures).

I remember the film Earthquake was described as being in "Sensurround"

This was a low frequency sound emitted by large speakers placed at the side of the auditorium and were switched on during the earthquake sequences. It felt like your internal organs were vibrating and was quite effective (well for 1974 it was)
Once went to an all-night horror show which I'm sure was at ABC.
Back to back Hammer 'horror' films and every now and again some poor sod of an ABC employee wandering up and down the aisles dresses as Dracula or the Mummy and so on.
Probably the highlight was the toy spider dangled down from the balcony onto some girls head.
Those were the days :rolleyes:

I had all of those as a kid, Gold and Silver Bond cars, Batmobile, Batboat, Batman and Robin figures, the vehicles from the TV series "Thunderbirds", "Captain Scarlet" and "UFO", Action Man (of course) and I also had a Knight in armour, like an Action Man, and I had a spy (also like Action Man) called "Mike Hazard".

Ah.....good old days........

Did you have one of these though?

upload_2018-7-4_0-0-54.jpeg

Did you have one of these though?

View attachment 41147

Yes I had that pal, you pushed the button down on the top and Solo and Kuryakin popped out from each side with a gun in their hand. I also had the guns. First one was called a "C-Type Mauser", which was Ilya's gun. Second was a Luger, with the added silencer, scope and stock, which was Napoleon's gun. Then they moved to a custom gun based on a Walther. Yep, I loved the Man from U.N.C.L.E.

I virtually lived in the Lido and Millhouses park in my early teens. SPOT against the wall at the top end of the park sharpened your football skills up ,too short it was in the river ,too high on the railway line ,Padder tennis ,quick game of draughts then chat some posh lasses up across at Dobcroft youth club ,or rough uns up at rowlinson. I loved my teens.

Were you "Stig of the Dump" Sitters?, and did you ever run into Wombat on your travels to Rowlinson? What a character!

I was born in Fawcett Street and yes, it was as grim as it looked. We lived at no 3 court 9. This was a one up one down slum in a dilapidated yard with a row of outside toilets, one of which we shared with the house we were back to back with.

They call them great days, but they weren't t really. Life was hard. My dad had a bad motorcycle accident when I was about 18 month old and was in hospital for about 8 months. We had nothing coming in and my mother had to rely on handouts from neighbours and family.

When we moved to Gleadless Valley, it was literally a breathe of fresh air, and then look at what happened to that estate!!

In the 60's and 70's it was a fantastic place to grow up

With 'Pauldens' on the left at the top of the Moor (now Debenhams). If they didn't have what your mum wanted then you schlepped up to Walshes (became Rackhams then House of Fraser then T J HUghes and now Poundland!) or even Cockaynes. If you were lucky she'd stick you in the ABC saturday morning club while she browsed. If you were unlucky, you had to watch your mum trying on 15 pairs of brown shoes that all looked the same.

Then down to the Sheaf and Castle markets. On no account could all fruit and veg be bought from the same stall. Apples here, potatoes there and 'we're not paying 1/3' for a cauli, the robdogs!'

Town with your mum - how the time just flew by.......

Joe Cocker at the Black Swan, 1968.

Mucky Duck.

Pistols played there in 76 and the Clash supported at their first ever gig. To my eternal shame I was a silly 12 year old and never went.

I think the knowledge that I misssed this magic moment is history is what has made me such a miserable old wanker.

Mucky Duck.

Pistols played there in 76 and the Clash supported at their first ever gig. To my eternal shame I was a silly 12 year old and never went.

I think the knowledge that I misssed this magic moment is history is what has made me such a miserable old wanker.

I reckon a few years following a certain football club might be a better explanation.

Sorry to bore you all.

UTB

I'm friends with the 3 Taylor brothers, all good lads, their Dad John is a top bloke who always has a smile and a chat

With 'Pauldens' on the left at the top of the Moor (now Debenhams). If they didn't have what your mum wanted then you schlepped up to Walshes (became Rackhams then House of Fraser then T J HUghes and now Poundland!) or even Cockaynes. If you were lucky she'd stick you in the ABC saturday morning club while she browsed. If you were unlucky, you had to watch your mum trying on 15 pairs of brown shoes that all looked the same.

Then down to the Sheaf and Castle markets. On no account could all fruit and veg be bought from the same stall. Apples here, potatoes there and 'we're not paying 1/3' for a cauli, the robdogs!'

Town with your mum - how the time just flew by.......
I could have written that ,although I knew Cockaynes as Schofields and we also had to call in the S &E for stamps and milk tokens and Roberts Brothers first.

In the 60's and 70's it was a fantastic place to grow up
The Valley was fantastic in the early days. We had our own garden and an inside toilet, luxury.

Where Herding's Park is now were open fields. At the edge of Norton Avenue was a copse with two small ponds containing frogs and newts. We spent hours in there wading in our wellies catching and releasing the same creatures time and time again.

Across Norton Avenue, which was single carriageway at the time, was Lightwood Lane, a little bit of the countryside right on your doorstep.

We used to walk to the end of the Lane, then over the fields down to Ford, then walk back up the hill to Ridgeway and then back on White Lane to Gleadless Town End and onwards to home.

Those halcyon days seemed to last forever and it sounds a bit of a cliche now, but they truly were "Happy days."

Back
Top Bottom