Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

This is a nice photo, not seen it before. 1920's?

UTB
1912-13 Sept14 Stamford Bridge L 4-2 HT1-1 Utd.'s scorers, Bettridge og and either Kitchen or Simmons. I know, but that's what it says in the bible. Ref must have lost the lead out of his pencil.

Another photo same game
1912-13 14 Sept Chelsea goalkeeper saves A L 4-2 og Bettridge & either Kitchen orSimmons.jpg
Don't know who's goal. I'd say Chelsea's, white shorts. Look carefully and the other goalie has white shorts on, Bugger!!!

England v Scotland 1959

View attachment 181825

Seeing this photo just adds to my frustration and disappointment as to the how Joe Shaw became to be acknowledged by many analysts and players at the time as being the finest centre half that never played for his country.

1959 was the last year Billy Wright played for England and , in fairness he had been a good player for much of that time . However , in his last two years he went downhill rapidly and put in a number of poor performances which with any other player would have resulted in him being dropped .

The only reason this didn’t happen is that by then he had reached ‘National Treasure’ status , being married to one of that eras equivalent of the Spice Girls and regularly appearing on TV as a ‘personality’.

At the same time , Joe was performing at his peak making some of the best centre forwards in the land look like complete mugs , including as he openly admitted the great Nat Lofthouse , and demonstrating the positional sense , ball control , vision and distribution skills which few if any defenders have subsequently matched to this very day .

For comparison see Beckenbauer , Franz . That’s how good he was .

Seeing this photo just adds to my frustration and disappointment as to the how Joe Shaw became to be acknowledged by many analysts and players at the time as being the finest centre half that never played for his country.

1959 was the last year Billy Wright played for England and , in fairness he had been a good player for much of that time . However , in his last two years he went downhill rapidly and put in a number of poor performances which with any other player would have resulted in him being dropped .

The only reason this didn’t happen is that by then he had reached ‘National Treasure’ status , being married to one of that eras equivalent of the Spice Girls and regularly appearing on TV as a ‘personality’.

At the same time , Joe was performing at his peak making some of the best centre forwards in the land look like complete mugs , including as he openly admitted the great Nat Lofthouse , and demonstrating the positional sense , ball control , vision and distribution skills which few if any defenders have subsequently matched to this very day .

Having read your post, I must reiterate every word you have said and add the story of Derek Dougan, for Blackburn, after being so bamboozled by Joe's quick and tricky ball play and the deft way he out positioned taller players from heading the ball, just stood back and clapped Joe knowing he wern't gonna get nowt that afternoon. Never a fan of FB, I give Joseph the nod.
Can I entre this post for the longest sentence competition? WEY it's late.

Graham Shaw in the photo

Nothing to contribute to this thread but I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who has contributed. I have spent the past 6 weeks looking through every page on my lunch breaks and have loved seeing all the photos and reading some of the stories. I'm not from Sheffield, I lived in the city for 5 years whilst at university but it is the place I would call home. I have really enjoyed seeing the familiar places but from a different era, learning more about the city's history as well as obviously more about our clubs history and the players.

Also my Grandad attended Sheffield Teaching College in the 1950s so its been really nice to see what he would have known Sheffield like. He was an umpire in the Northern League so I am sure he would have attended Bramall Lane to watch cricket, if not football (although he was also a football referee).

I might have rose tinted specs on but to me Sheffield is such a special place and I will continue to look at every photo that comes through.

Nothing to contribute to this thread but I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who has contributed. I have spent the past 6 weeks looking through every page on my lunch breaks and have loved seeing all the photos and reading some of the stories. I'm not from Sheffield, I lived in the city for 5 years whilst at university but it is the place I would call home. I have really enjoyed seeing the familiar places but from a different era, learning more about the city's history as well as obviously more about our clubs history and the players.

Also my Grandad attended Sheffield Teaching College in the 1950s so its been really nice to see what he would have known Sheffield like. He was an umpire in the Northern League so I am sure he would have attended Bramall Lane to watch cricket, if not football (although he was also a football referee).

I might have rose tinted specs on but to me Sheffield is such a special place and I will continue to look at every photo that comes through.

like to say 'ta' for those kind words. Thank You.
I'm sure you realise every Sheffielder who read it will be as embarrassed as F*^$, not used to praise, more comfortable with ridicule.

I assume they are Peter Withes kids and it seems weird when you look at photos that don’t seem that long back, thst they will probably be in their mid to late forties now.

Never seen that Halifax photo. A bank holiday if I remember rightly. I always look at the crowd in photos of that era to see if I can spot even a vague resemblance of someone I might know but never seem to be able to

I was there, my eldest son had just been born. I told a bit of a fib to the sister at Jessops so that I could visit out of hours, prior to going to the match. He was 42 yesterday and we’ll both be in “The Brothers” along with his brother before the match tomorrow.
I told the sister I had a work meeting, it’s never been forgotten.

Back
Top Bottom