Official Hawkeye reason given

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Klaatu Barada Nikto

Reaction score
It’s not even 1:9000 tbh. How many times has Hawk-Eye actually been called on to make a goal line decision in 9000 games? I dunno...300? 400? More?? Less?? If the actual error rate is, say, 1in 300 then it doesn’t look that clever now, does it?
This is a bloody good point. In those 9000 games, how many GLT decisions were made? How many of them were non-obvious (i.e. back of the net bulging etc.)? How many of them were close line-calls? How many of them were goal-mouth scrambles with, say, more than 4 players on the line? And so on. Once you start removing those items from the "9000 List" the odds of Hawk-Eye fucking up starts looking far less favourable.
Hawkeye doesn’t just make a decision when it’s marginal, it goes off every time a goal is scored. So you only have to remove from the 9000 games where there has been no goals.

Ainsley Harriott

Reaction score
I don't find it completely unbelievable looking at it - if you draw lines out from the ball to show the areas where Nyland, Davies, the entirety of the woodwork etc are blocking the view of the ball, it's probably larger than you think given how close they all are and the angles in relation to the ball and each other.

But this is easy to resolve - they should surely have the data on file and can replay the incident in question.

Also can't believe the number of people that think Sky and Hawkeye use the same cameras
What you mean is you find it unbelievable that they missed considering Hawkeye's own admission that they have an ability to remove players from the image.

And if a goalpost is an obstruction then I give up.

carthesis

Reaction score
Hawkeye doesn’t just make a decision when it’s marginal, it goes off every time a goal is scored. So you only have to remove from the 9000 games where there has been no goals.
I get what you mean, but that's not what I meant.

What I mean is that if the ball powers into the rear netting, noone is going to pay attention to Hawkeye. So whether it works or not is irrelevant.it isn't needed to make those decisions - it's only needed for the marginal goal-line calls.

carthesis

Reaction score
I can't believe the number of people that think Sky and Hawkeye use the same cameras
I can't believe the number of people taking Hawkeye PR bullshit at face value and think they have the ability to magically remove players to see the ball... Without understanding what that actually means! The cameras aren't magic fucking x-ray ball-seeing cameras!!

Peggy22

Reaction score
Obviously I seem to have a slight obsession with the linesman/assistant referee... apologies for that. But I watched the match on Now TV so couldn’t rewind and haven’t had chance to catch up with it on any other format so, can anyone help me out, and tell me where the assistant ref was, when we scored?

Worksop II

Defectum Heroicis
Reaction score
Obviously I seem to have a slight obsession with the linesman/assistant referee... apologies for that. But I watched the match on Now TV so couldn’t rewind and haven’t had chance to catch up with it on any other format so, can anyone help me out, and tell me where the assistant ref was, when we scored?
I reckon he was right on the line where he should be

HammerInPeace

Not bad even if he is West Ham..
Reaction score
In the shed with the other tools..

Bruce Wayne

Reaction score
He had a 100% clear view and must have seen the keeper take the ball behind the post. We have become far too reliant on technology and choose not too at least question something that doesn't look right. It's not as if there isn't technology to back up a technological mistake.

HammerInPeace

Not bad even if he is West Ham..
Reaction score
I can't believe the number of people taking Hawkeye PR bullshit at face value and think they have the ability to magically remove players to see the ball... Without understanding what that actually means! The cameras aren't magic fucking x-ray ball-seeing cameras!!
Today's 'Sun', no I didn't buy it, said something about the VAR people being reminded to look out for moments like that & to take action, or words to that effect.
Which somehow makes it worse. Being 'reminded' means that they SHOULD have done something, on that incident, doesn't it? Unless I read it wrong.

Ainsley Harriott

Reaction score
He had a 100% clear view and must have seen the keeper take the ball behind the post. We have become far too reliant on technology and choose not too at least question something that doesn't look right. It's not as if there isn't technology to back up a technological mistake.
Too reliant on technology is something I see everyday at work.

"This app on my phone says its raining right now"

Literally not a cloud in the sky. Use your fuckin eyes.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Top Bottom