Official Hawkeye reason given

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

This is not helped by the fact that linesmen are in effect redundant in today's game and seem terrified to bring something they have seen to the referee's attention, when was the last time you saw a linesman wave his flag and then put it across his chest to signal a penalty should be awarded?

Yes you can understand it… but officials also have to be sensible to realise that when they’re stood 5 yards away and the keeper is in the goal behind the post with the ball that just because his watch doesn’t buzz, the ball might be over the line

Especially with ours where a proper video review was an option. I have some sympathy for the referee at the weekend - He thinks it's in (say), technology says otherwise, no way to be sure until after the fact.

"Clear and Obvious" we were told.

It does not take 3 or 4 people taking 4 or 5 minutes poring over single, freeze and magnified frames to see whether the referee has made a "Clear and Obvious" error.

Nothing wrong with technology, more to do with the Titcakes we allow to run riot with it.

I sit in the South Stand and was well in line with it. It was well over and not even up for debate.

Quite hilarious how it ended up in the Watford net though. They should not have allowed that to go in.
Did Lino indicate goal? Think Stroud relied on his watch thing cause he pointed at it. Unless he was showing of his new Casio

Did Lino indicate goal? Think Stroud relied on his watch thing cause he pointed at it. Unless he was showing of his new Casio
It was definitely given by the referee's watch, but that might be the proper procedure now, and linesmen aren't meant to flag for goals.

It was definitely given by the referee's watch, but that might be the proper procedure now, and linesmen aren't meant to flag for goals.
It's good in one way but on the other hand the reliance on tech is risky. Its one of them where it won't be long until assistant's are made redundant as AI tech makes decisions on offsides, probably possible now if they invested in it. Players would have to be wearing some tech in their kit and have lasers or something to work out the positioning

It's good in one way but on the other hand the reliance on tech is risky. Its one of them where it won't be long until assistant's are made redundant as AI tech makes decisions on offsides, probably possible now if they invested in it. Players would have to be wearing some tech in their kit and have lasers or something to work out the positioning

posted 3 years ago.

Not as daft as it sounds;

I’ve spent a large part of my life over the last 2 years working on tracking systems. And the technology to do this already exists, it has for about the past 5 years.

I haven’t fully thought this through but off the top of my head.

You would need a grid of receivers, achieved by installing a small device along one side and end of the pitch every metre; these are about half the size of a mobile phone and can be housed in weather proof enclosures, most grounds could accommodate these along the eves of the stands.

Each player would have a transmitter installed in their boots, anywhere else would not work, e.g. wristbands, players would soon learn to make a run with a trailing arm.

The code base from any for the current key tracer, employee tracker or door entry systems could be altered in a couple of months.

The ball would need an impact transmitter.

A system of this type is capable of taking 20 readings per second so would be accurate to how far a player can move in 1/20th of a second. This could be factored into the software as an error margin.

The system works by triangulating a ping sent from the players boots so is not reliant on GPS or any third party system.

That’s about it but what would it do.

At the start of a match each player would have to stand on a pad set at known co-ordinates which would read the players chip and configure their boots and current position, this could just be a mat rolled out at the end of the tunnel that the players run over.

A similar reader could also be placed in the plinth where the ball sits before kick off.

The position of every players feet and the ball would then be visible on a screen in real time, not the actual match, a grid with dots representing boots and ball. this could be anywhere in the world.

For any possible off side the system would know the position of every players feet at the moment the ball was played.

I can see some limitations, the system would know the moment the ball was played but not who played it, but isn’t that the referees job.

The system could only read when the ball was kicked, headed etc, but the current off side rule states when the ball leaves the player, there is a time difference between a players foot contacting the ball and the ball leaving a players foot during a pass, is that time difference significant.

Advantages:

Accuracy not dependant on frame rates.
No blurry images.
No made up lines all over the pitch.
Ref and linesmen decide if its offside or not and use the technology to assist in close calls.
Would take 10 seconds to look at the screen.

Disadvantages:

These systems are proven technology, they work, they are simple and they are secure. This could be implemented in every Premier League ground for about a million quid. The Premier League would want to spend 500 million, redesign the hardware, rewrite the software from scratch, take 5 years and make a complete bollocks of the whole thing.

Last edited:

Have a funny feeling that we wouldn't have got the same reaction.

Shearer has a short memory, but maybe because its about a big club.
'Cook, England and Michael Oliver, who was the fourth official at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, were also part of a match officiating team who took charge of a league game in the United Arab Emirates on Thursday.'

So it's acceptable for the VARs and 4th official to spend 7-8 hours flying from the UAE on Thursday/Friday as well as officiating in the UAE and getting there in the first place. No wonder they pressed the wrong button.

'Cook, England and Michael Oliver, who was the fourth official at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, were also part of a match officiating team who took charge of a league game in the United Arab Emirates on Thursday.'

So it's acceptable for the VARs and 4th official to spend 7-8 hours flying from the UAE on Thursday/Friday as well as officiating in the UAE and getting there in the first place. No wonder they pressed the wrong button.
I was amazed when I read this, they are paid enough for doing the English games.

Have a funny feeling that we wouldn't have got the same reaction.

Shearer has a short memory, but maybe because its about a big club.

To be fair on MOTD Shearer said its the worst VAR decision ever or words to that affect. Ours wasnt VAR it was Goal Line Technology. It didnt "cross the line" so VAR wasnt used. Yes VAR would have cleared it up at the time but that was not the policy back then. If anything that mistake has lead to more scrutiny good or bad.

We definitely would have got a lesser reaction.

Imagine if Liverpool force a replay i know it won't happen but just imagine. Was mentioned all day on talk sport and in fairness of balance what happens when Liverpool benefit from a poor VAR decision will they be on the blower to the refs saying it's ok we will replay the game. Lol not a chance. 99% success rate in terms of correct decisions run by idiots scrap it for me.

Found it so hypocritical listening the media discuss the disallowed offside goal.
Kelly Cates (Kennys daughter) was presenting a show and she was so emotional about maybe there should be a replay and someone needs to pay.

It made me think if it was us having a goal disallowed in the same situation, the media probably wouldn't even raise it.
Apparently Liverpool have released a statement saying there are going to look at legal options regards the next course of action.
Think that means they might call for a replay. Liverpool always thrive in the victim role and think the VAR, FA and PL are abasing them.

Today Liverpool have also announced they are going to appeal against the red card.
Surely that would be frivolous because it shows he came over the ball and stamped over his ankle, you can easily see why it was red.

Think Liverpool FC are playing games.
When the red card appeal is upheld and an extra game punishment is applied, the PL will use VAR evidence and show still photos to clear show it was a red.
Makes me wonder if some legal eagle in LFC will say VAR evidence can't be used because they can prove it's unreliable and can't be trusted.

Found it so hypocritical listening the media discuss the disallowed offside goal.
Kelly Cates (Kennys daughter) was presenting a show and she was so emotional about maybe there should be a replay and someone needs to pay.

It made me think if it was us having a goal disallowed in the same situation, the media probably wouldn't even raise it.
Apparently Liverpool have released a statement saying there are going to look at legal options regards the next course of action.
Think that means they might call for a replay. Liverpool always thrive in the victim role and think the VAR, FA and PL are abasing them.

Today Liverpool have also announced they are going to appeal against the red card.
Surely that would be frivolous because it shows he came over the ball and stamped over his ankle, you can easily see why it was red.

Think Liverpool FC are playing games.
When the red card appeal is upheld and an extra game punishment is applied, the PL will use VAR evidence and show still photos to clear show it was a red.
Makes me wonder if some legal eagle in LFC will say VAR evidence can't be used because they can prove it's unreliable and can't be trusted.

I don’t think Liverpools statement mentions legal options.

Back
Top Bottom