Norwich players...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Grizzly blade

Reaction score
Watching MOTD.

Seen some querying if we might look at some of the Norwich players.

well I tell you what, I don’t know where these valuations are coming from for Aaron’s and Godfrey, but neither of them can actually defend!!
so it’s a huge no from me. Thanks

Grizzly spot on. Godfrey got bullied by Antonio, nowhere near good enough to get in our team. The full backs wouldn't replace either Baldock or Stevens and would cost a fortune. Way over rated all of them and i think Cantwell is a shown pony. Wouldnt have any of them.

I very much get the impression Norwich just wanted a pay day to help ease their debts

Going straight back down is the only way for a club to make any money out of the PL.

I wouldn't be surprised if they've made £40m+ this season and with the parachute payments they'll be ok for a couple more years at least

Going straight back down is the only way for a club to make any money out of the PL.

I wouldn't be surprised if they've made £40m+ this season and with the parachute payments they'll be ok for a couple more years at least

Yep and like has been said, its not like they've invested money this year, and it sounds like they've been clever with player contracts

There's a huge difference in experience.
I think there's a lot of talent there personally.

Problem is, Cantwell, Lewis, Aarons, Godfrey are not experienced players in the slightest. Only Godfrey has played 100 career games, and nearly half of those were League 1 and 2.
That's a huge problem, 3 of your back 4 learning their trade in perhaps the strongest league in the world.

I think they're in a good place, as long as they are financially secure.
They actually have a plan, which is more than can be said for sides who will stay up like Palace/Watford but do not look like progressing, or those who will go down like Villa/Bournemouth who have wasted a fortune on nothing.

I think they have the brightest immediate future of the bottom 3.

Sure I read today that Norwich were looking to make a £16m profit this season...:but then Covid hit and they reckon it’s cost them £35m.
So £19m loss.
Now I know their costs were higher last season compared to us, and I guess they may have increased salaries for their squad and paid big bonus’s.
But given they spent next to nothing a pre Covid profit of £16m is a surprise.
and given they were in the brown stuff before they will now be going down having made another loss.
So there’s no chance they will keep all those players.
If that’s what they were expecting...we are going to make a pretty big loss this season.

But I’m telling you now, unless any of those defenders were coming to the lane as reserves and for a much more realistic fee there’s no way I’d want them replacing any of our lads at the back.

Cantwell is a very good player. Wilder would sort him out. Buendia also very good. Either would improve the creativity in our midfield. Not convince they’d walk right in though.

I think Buendia is easily their best player and the only one I’d be interested in. He’s up there with the best in terms of opportunities created this season.

I don’t really see why their defence is apparently worth tens of millions. Yeah they’re young and fairly talented footballers but they were worse than our defence last year and they’ve been shipping goals all season. Just don’t do it for me.

Cantwell looks pretty talented too, but he’s lightweight. Drifts in and out of games. Has stupid hair and drives a gold Range Rover. Not sure where he’s fit in our system or if he’s pass the knobhead test.

Cantwell is the total opposite of what we look for in a player.

He is totally nesh. Limp. Puny. Flaccid. Dickhead haircut.

He is creative going but I see nothing from his defensive pressing game that suggests he’s any good all-round.

If you don’t have the ball he’s a weakling passenger.

And he’s got a face I would not tire punching

Cantwell on the bench. See my other thread post. Wonder why.....😎

He is creative going but I see nothing from his defensive pressing game that suggests he’s any good all-round.

Other than what do you think of him?! 😂

I agree though. Too show pony for us and Wilder.

The full backs have been dross all year. They need to go and have another year in the Championship and come again. They both have talent but they also have a year of being not good enough

I keep hearing how talented the young Norwich players are. Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see it.

Ben Godfrey and the two full backs form 3/4 of a backline that has leaked so many goals this season.
Going forward they have 1 goal and 1 assist all season between the 3 of them in 70+ appearances. So no good in attack either.

You could argue that they're playing in a poor side, but collectively they form a large part of that side, so should take some responsibility as well.

They're young so still have time to improve, but it just seems like they're expecting the buying club to fork out huge sums of money to effectively make their defence worse. That's just not a good idea.

Cantwell seems to have talent, but imo, like others have said, is nesh and lacks the work rate and mentality needed to be a top player, at least currently. We can't afford any luxury players and for me he seems to be one of those.

Buendia may be worth a look as I think he is genuinely talented and has the capacity to adapt to our style of play, but otherwise i'd look for better value elsewhere.

^^^^^^^^^^^
Well said Tom

Norwich players and manager, simply not good enough.

HH

Got a bit more time for Norwich than some Blades because I've got a few mates and work colleagues who support them.

That said I'm not convinced any of their players match our ethos.

Buendia is the only one I think we should be remotely interested in (and even then, only provided that it is a good deal for SUFC).

The rest, all very much overrated, Goldilocks included.

wonder why wilders been.to.watch him six times then

What a stark contrast.... to look at the distraught faces of those young Norwich players who looked totally shell shocked, in comparison to the joy and happiness undergoing our squad, what a difference a season and indeed, a manager (who actually can ‘manage’) makes.
Even the two results yesterday, Norwich losing 4-0 at home to a West Ham side who themselves were still seeking Prem safety. Whilst we’re dishing out a 3-0 thrashing to a Chelsea team who have recently have been both Premiership and Champions League winners. Mind boggling stats.

Don’t think any of them fit our bill if I’m honest , showed very little fight / character .. all the media hype around the 2 full backs particularly last season , yeh descent going forward but can not defend for toffee & positionally all over the place .. Matty Cash at Forest for me a lot better full back & others out there to with a lot better pedigree

Defenders are a joke. But the chance creation stats and performances of Cantwell and Buendia this season have to be celebrated due to how god awful the team around them is. And I would happily take either.

I agree.

And, I'd add another to that list.

This guy...

1594535355829.png

Marco Stiepermann.

I've been impressed with him when I've seen him play and I think he'd be good competition for McBurnie. Another big target man who can also play a bit. Downside is maybe his age, 29, but if we could get him for a reasonable sum then I think he could do a job.

My preference though would be to go and get this guy, from Fulham.

1594535813159.png

Aleksander Mitrovic.

24 goals for Fulham this season in the Championship. Somehow though I think he'll cost an absolute fortune and other big clubs will be bidding for him.

Their club has fucked them and their fans over.
"£100m - thanks, we'll pocket that. Here's 20 pence for new players".
Club must have been relieved playing behind closed doors.

Let’s not forget that Wilder has this knack of making average to decent players become really effective (even at PL level).

I have a friend who lives in Milton Keynes.....he told me that the feedback from MK fans regards George Baldock was
“really quick...great getting forward...BUT can‘t defend....sometimes gets caught upfield out of position“

That‘s why Wilder has plans in place to cover Baldock’s weakness.....when ever he’s caught out of position we have Basham coming across to the right back position to cover.....and as we’ve seen, Basham is a very capable right back.

My view on Norwich is that their players are talented BUT naive and too light weight for the PL.
I reckon Wilder could improve them...he would put them on the weights and make them mentally strong....toughen them up.
Id be interested in their players but they are all risks (they’ve proven they were‘t good enough for the PL).....so the price would need to be reasonably low.

Back
Top Bottom