Nigel 'cup run' Clough

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

BladeTillIDie

Reaction score
Burton through to the semi finals tonight... Notice he gets league one teams to the last four of the cups but is awfully bad in the league. Strange manager. :oops:

Burton through to the semi finals tonight... Notice he gets league one teams to the last four of the cups but is awfully bad in the league. Strange manager. :oops:

That's because more often than not he sets his teams up to counter attack which is why it works against higher opposition which is typically in the Cups.

But in regular league games he hasn't got the bollocks to take the initiative.

Found it a shame really because I wanted him to succeed here but when his approach became apparent to me then that was it.

A slightly different ball game when he took over them when Jimmy Floyd went to QPR, they were already top of the table with half the season remaining.

I bet that game was a real festival of excitement, two sides playing slick attacking football with carefree abandonment .
I can’t beleve I missed the highlights ... but the option of watching the test card or two condensation drips racing down the window seemed to grab my attention span for some reason ?

I'm sure we've all had to explain to a neutral/non-blade as to why Clough isn't a good manager. Because to them, on paper he's a miracle worker and we're just fickle.

The reception he received, from what I perceived to be from the majority of the crowd on his first return as an opposition manager proved to me that he tried his best here in difficult circumstances.

For sure he was a bit weird in some of the things he did and said, but like his father, he was single minded in his approach.

Wilder is better - it's how life is sometimes.

Is this thread going to turn into take the piss out of Nigel, in the same way that at the mere mention of the name McCabe, the usual incumbents need to vent their spleen.

FFS - let it go.

We move on, at great speed with Wilder.

UTB

PS: Good luck to Burton

He applies a very different strategy to league games than he does cup games.

Cant speak for burton, but with United when we were playing better sides in the cup there was a tolerance for giving the opposition more possession and using the counter attack more.

We wouldn’t accept giving Walsall possession in the league.

Also sides in our division allow us more possession

He was still better than Adkins and I never had a major issue with Clough as manager. There were improvements he could’ve made and he never dealt with issues such as centre half and striker. But in the main I was fairly happy with what he brought.

I was pleased when we got Clough but ultimately let's not kid ourselves, if he was still here we'd still be building towards challenging for automatic promotion from League 1.

I bet that game was a real festival of excitement, two sides playing slick attacking football with carefree abandonment .

You'd also have the added attraction of Pullis and all his assistants taking it in turn to berate the Fourth Official for the grass being too green, or similar.

Yes it really would have been a joy to watch.......

A dour humourless man with zero percent of his fathers charisma, and yes I’ve met him, long before he became manager of United when he was at Burton the first time and said then to people I hoped he never became our manager, never actually believing he would do.

Clough is a bit like that eezergeezer in that tune.

Very much maligned and misunderstood !

UTB

From the BBC website:

"Middlesbrough, who were bidding to reach the last four for the first time since they won the trophy in 2004, had a great chance to equalise late on but Aden Flint headed Marcus Tavernier's cross wide from two yards"

Absolutely nailed on that Flint wouldn't have missed from 2 yards against us, the fucker.

Relative to some of the donuts we've had managing us he's a long way down the list of hate figures. And that's just post-Warnock, go back to the 80s & 90s for a plethora of even more comedic managers who've "graced" our sanctum.

I thought Clough was far from perfect and made some fundamental errors in both his tactics and recruitment whilst at Utd but him getting the club to 2 semi-finals shouldn't be forgotten. The semi-final v Hull was one in my top 3 days supporting Utd (the others being Darlington and Leicester).

Last edited:
I've never understood why some Blades hate Clough. Can those that do, please explain?
Because they forget we were looking like relegation certainties before he arrived and we nearly made the play offs and maybe they don't like cup runs ?

More seriously because they are comparing him to Wilder and That's a difficult comparison for any of our managers.

A dour humourless man with zero percent of his fathers charisma, and yes I’ve met him, long before he became manager of United when he was at Burton the first time and said then to people I hoped he never became our manager, never actually believing he would do.

It is a strange one. My son was mascot about 4 years ago and I was genuinely surprised how quiet the players were in the dressing room with the exception of McEverley. The staff had played a wind up on him by spelling his name wrong on the back of his shirt.

Clough though was probably the most outgoing trying to crack jokes. He even made a wisecrack about my son's surname, which whilst not exactly funny, at least showed he wasn't as dour and dull as I maybe expected.

His ultimate downfall arguably came as a result of his success.

Beating teams in the Cup by being brave, but being scared at home to Fleetwood, was never going to end well with Sheffield United in the third tier.

I honestly don't understand the "awfully bad in the league" bit - he did well in the league for us, arguably very well, and Burton's proper place is probably at least a division lower - and without Clough's previous successes there, probably two or three divisions lower.

All the arrogance of his father but none of the talent. Disliked him more than any manager we,ve ever had , even Robson.

Back
Top Bottom