Nigel Clough,take a bow

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The real turning point for Bash imo, was the signing of EEL, lads not looked back since being dropped at that point, before then getting back in the team.

The manager who took Chris Basham to Sheff Utd on a free transfer from Blackpool,Clough had a lot of critics,but one thing we must all agree on is that signing Chris for now’t erases any other errors he may have made.....thank you Nigel.
I think a propper football manager came along and made basham into a better footballer, Chris wilder. Top man.

I've said it for a years to friends and family that Bashambauer is severely under rated in the United team. While players like Fleck & Sharp took the limelight.

I'm glad he's got a lot of positive attention these past two seasons and people talk about his importance now. I saw it all along. It's hardly surprising he stepped his level up again and I've seen few faults, or should I say, I've seen a LOT more positive things than negative from him this season.

I know Bash was a free, but did we have some transfer / scouting links with blackpool around this time? Chris Basham, Mark Howard, Bob Harris, Stephen Davies, Mcmahon the other way. Then previously billy clarke and matt phillips on loan. I find it funny how these things work in football.

He never meant it.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
That’s correct but he might also have brought us Coutts ! Not a fan of Clough in any way but can’t deny a couple of signings ! ( flukes🤔)

Hang on a minute now. The law of averages says he had to get something right.

It might not be popular but play Basham as a centre back in a 2 and he’s average Championship standard at best.
Basham is Mr Versatile and can easily play as a right back but again he’s average Championship standard
Basham is so versatile he can even push up into midfield but he’s not even average Championship standard as a midfielder.

Read the above and you can understand why Bash has had a relatively modest career.

However either Knill or Wilder have shown a genius grasp of tactics because they know Basham has the best stamina in the club.
So why not coach Basham to play a fluid 3 positions (centre back, right full back and midfielder) all in the same game.

I mentioned that Basham isn’t the greatest centre back but in a 3 he has Egan next to him covering any mistakes he makes.
Baldock is encouraged to get forward leaving right back a vulnerable position on the break....however Bash can easily cover any mistakes Baldock makes
Then when we are dominant or desperately need a goal then Basham can easily take turns pushing up into midfield.

My point is that a players matchday ability isn’t always dependant on their ability and talent.
A great coach designs team tactics to play to that players strengths and has their insurance weaknesses covered.
Thats what we are seeing with Basham...he’s a key player in our system which very few other players could manage.

Him and his family must be so proud....his story regards improvement is hard to believe helping him become a Blades legend long after he retires.

If only Wilder had brought Craig Alcock back

It might not be popular but play Basham as a centre back in a 2 and he’s average Championship standard at best.
Basham is Mr Versatile and can easily play as a right back but again he’s average Championship standard
Basham is so versatile he can even push up into midfield but he’s not even average Championship standard as a midfielder.

Read the above and you can understand why Bash has had a relatively modest career.

However either Knill or Wilder have shown a genius grasp of tactics because they know Basham has the best stamina in the club.
So why not coach Basham to play a fluid 3 positions (centre back, right full back and midfielder) all in the same game.

I mentioned that Basham isn’t the greatest centre back but in a 3 he has Egan next to him covering any mistakes he makes.
Baldock is encouraged to get forward leaving right back a vulnerable position on the break....however Bash can easily cover any mistakes Baldock makes
Then when we are dominant or desperately need a goal then Basham can easily take turns pushing up into midfield.

My point is that a players matchday ability isn’t always dependant on their ability and talent.
A great coach designs team tactics to play to that players strengths and has their insurance weaknesses covered.
Thats what we are seeing with Basham...he’s a key player in our system which very few other players could manage.

Him and his family must be so proud....his story regards improvement is hard to believe helping him become a Blades legend long after he retires.
You are absolutely right,Brian Clough turned Forest into European champions by adopting a very similar approach,the ‘experts’ said it could never be done again..........really !!

I feel for the scouts.

Chris Wilder to the scouts " go find me another Basham"
Scouts " how about a messi or a ronaldo type, it would be easier boss"
Chris" what part of find me a Basham do you not get. Go."
Good thing that even in his 30s he’s the fitting man at the club (in the league even?) and has got a good few years in him yet

Back
Top Bottom