New view of Lane re-development

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The plans for the kop are as good as they could realistically be in my opinion. The rake isn't quite as steep as I would like but it's certainly not worth spending the 10s of millions that would be required to rip it out and rebuild form scratch. The pillars are 90% of the visibility issues, once they are gone it's already a massive step.

For me a kop should be a 1 tiered structure with decent but not luxurious amenities, the cheapest area of the ground to buy tickets and the atmosphere generating engine of the stadium.

The existing design coupled with sensible ticketing prices and some innovative schemes to help atmosphere will give us an 'end' worthy of Liverpool's kop and Dortmund's yellow wall.

Presumably the pitch of the Kop stays exactly the same as it does now right, since its an extension to the existing?

Exactly, you’ve hit the nail on the head.

The new Kop could make Bramall Lane an iconic stadium.
It would be the biggest Kop amongst old school stadiums in England, bigger than both the Liverpool and Wednesday Kop. Only Spurs new stadium will have a bigger Kop, but that won’t be old school.

These days “old school historical” stadiums are becoming more and more revered.
There’s no more Maine Road, Highbury, White Hart Lane and soon no more Goodison Park.
Bramall Lane and the impressive huge Kop will be give us massive pride and help ensure that we have one of the best (old school) and most famous stadiums in England.

I know the corner “office block” has received criticism but I can see the sense in that too.
The main purpose of the corner between the Kop and South stand is to build a “Visitor Media Centre”.
In the PL we will have loads of outside interest from Sky Sports, radio commentators and journalists.
They will all leave BL being thoroughly impressed perched up there in the corner amongst fantastic facilities with a fantastic view of the pitch and the stadium. On non matchdays these areas can. Be used as offices or meeting rooms.

It also means we regain an extra 200 seats at the back (centre) of the South stand.

Sorry mate, where's the regained 200 seats coming from?

Presumably the pitch of the Kop stays exactly the same as it does now right, since its an extension to the existing?
From what I can gather from the images there is an almost imperceptible change to the rake (slightly steeper) for the extended part, but the current part will remain as is (minus poles)

From the renders it looks like the rake of the existing seats remains the same but the seats in the extension are slightly steeper. Or are my old eyes playing tricks on me?

Sorry just seen the same comment by Blade for Sale

From what I can gather from the images there is an almost imperceptible change to the rake (slightly steeper) for the extended part, but the current part will remain as is (minus poles)

Ok cheers mate for info. I hope to see this started this season if we're still chasing promotion. To be fair to McCabe, he started the BL end in the season we got promoted last time but of course promotion wasn't guaranteed by any means.

From the renders it looks like the rake of the existing seats remains the same but the seats in the extension are slightly steeper. Or are my old eyes playing tricks on me?

I couldn't see a steeper pitch, but a few have said there is one. Either way, I'm not too bothered, as long as its still one tier, that's the main thing.

Sorry just seen the same comment by Blade for Sale

I’m no expert on building structures, but are there any adjustments that could be made (perhaps through innovative selective concreting, if such a thing exists) that could improve the current rake?

I’m no expert on building structures, but are there any adjustments that could be made (perhaps through innovative selective concreting, if such a thing exists) that could improve the current rake?

Blade too long will have a mate who could do it for a couple of grand AND get rid of the rubble in a lay by on the A57.

It would be theoretically possible to increase the height of each step by more and more as you go back. That would be very expensive though, think of the amount of concrete and shuttering required. The steelwork and foundations would also not be designed to carry that much weight. Starting from scratch would be a better option. As both a professional and a fan I think the current plans are the best fit.

I know the corner “office block” has received criticism but I can see the sense in that too.
The main purpose of the corner between the Kop and South stand is to build a “Visitor Media Centre”.
In the PL we will have loads of outside interest from Sky Sports, radio commentators and journalists.
They will all leave BL being thoroughly impressed perched up there in the corner amongst fantastic facilities with a fantastic view of the pitch and the stadium. On non matchdays these areas can. Be used as offices or meeting rooms.

It also means we regain an extra 200 seats at the back (centre) of the South stand.

So an entire corner of the ground is to be given over every single match for what? About 10-20 journalists?
Probably more like 4 journalists who gave a shit about us in most recent seasons.

There are literally acres of spare land around the ground where they could build a “Business Centre”.
It simply does not need to be anywhere near the pitch.
It’s a totally impractical suggestion that a company could set up an office in there have to but move out every weekend while Martin Saumels and his newspaper cronies move in.

The maximum that is required for a “Media Centre” is one small room for Sky Sports when they occasionally deign to visit us.
Surely this could be an Executive box left spare for those rare occasions and sold otherwise.
That would still be an upgrade on the small portakabin they normally use.

Then a larger room/viewing area for the rest of the media?
Where do the massed hordes of them go at the moment?
Is this the 200 extra seats on The South Stand you referred to?

Why couldn’t this new “Media Centre” be incorporated into The South Stand development leaving that whole corner available for new seating and/or Executive boxes facing the pitch?
Better that than blank walls and a few windows as per the present plans.

Future Bramall Lane SS & Kop.jpg

So an entire corner of the ground is to be given over every single match for what? About 10-20 journalists?
Probably more like 4 journalists who gave a shit about us in most recent seasons.

There are literally acres of spare land around the ground where they could build a “Business Centre”.
It’s a totally impractical suggestion that a company could set up an office in there have to but move out every weekend while Martin Saumels and his newspaper cronies move in.

The maximum that is required for a “Media Centre” is one small room for Sky Sports when they occasionally deign to visit us.
Surely this could be an Executive box left spare for those rare occasions and sold otherwise.

Why couldn’t this new “Media Centre” be incorporated into The South Stand development leaving that whole corner available for new seating and/or Executive boxes facing the pitch?
Brilliant! Plans are afoot to renovate the ground to make it one of the best in the country and raise the capacity to over 43k and you're moaning about a corner and a potential 500 seats?

Sorry mate, where's the regained 200 seats coming from?

There’s the little porta cabin thing where Keith Edwards & co sit right at the back of the South stand.
Also when we were last in the PL there were loads of seats just in front of the radio commentators for all the journalists.
Each seats had a little desk in front of it.

None of this would be needed as they’d basically be moved to corporate facilities behind a glass screen.
Keith Edwards would be well pleased, it might even be too posh for him ha ha.

View attachment 32507

Income from a business centre would hopefully bring in income 52 weeks a year. Any development has to be paid for and counting on PL sell outs is highly speculative., particularly as that income would belong to the football club rather than the owner of the ground who presumably be the one paying for the development.

I've long thought that a good way to increase the 'footprint' of BDTBL would be to sail the BL stand over Bramall Lane. Apart from the two boozers, it's only second-hand car lots. They were all given CPO's years ago until the Council realised that Government-funded enhancements to the area was a no-no.

bramalllane.jpg

blperspective.jpg

Personally I think it looks great. Trying to tie the kop & SS together with their differing rakes would look absurd, you'd probably get seasick just looking at it.

Anyway, having a 1st class media centre is commensurate with a 1st class club, which is what we are aspiring to be.

View attachment 32507

You would think McCabe has exhausted all possibilities, he’s a property developer, so you would expect he knows what he’s doing.

I don’t think seats or executive boxes can be put in that corner because the current Kop goes well past the corner flag.
In order to build a proper corner we need to steepen the Kop, which will lose seats.

We also need to take out approx 1000 seats near the corner flag because the corner needs to curve, it can’t be a 90 degree angle.
The curve that created would probably create 1000 or so seats, so we’re not increasing capacity by joining the stands.

It’s only my opinion based on guess work, admit I could be wrong.
It’s a shame McCabe couldn’t answer some of these queries, would love to speak to him off the record about his plans for the stadium with the likelihood of the Kop and also the South stand getting done with the timescale.

That sounds really ungrateful like something a spoilt might say on Xmas day when they get a IPhone but cry that they also expected an IPad Pro with the IPhone.

The “crappy” Kop extension will cost millions and massively improve the stadium, atmosphere and facilities.
The good news is that I doubt it would have a massive financial implication, so ticket prices would need to be drastically increased.

Ms Crab is getting the Hi Phone I bought from the Lookie Lookie Man on holiday. It will go nice with the Guccy Bag.

Brilliant! Plans are afoot to renovate the ground to make it one of the best in the country and raise the capacity to over 43k and you're moaning about a corner and a potential 500 seats?

The plans that are afoot are a one-off opportunity to increase the capacity and make it one of the best grounds in the country.
Once built, there will be no second chance and what we are left with will be there for generations.
I and many others who've commented on this thread are entitled therefore to query if certain aspects of the current plans could be tweaked or improved.
Where do you get an estimate of 500 seats from? I suspect a good architect could fill the area with much more than that?
Failing that, fill it with money-spinning Executive boxes.
Anything built around the pitch should actually face the pitch and bring revenue into the football club.
That's my opinion.

Income from a business centre would hopefully bring in income 52 weeks a year. Any development has to be paid for and counting on PL sell outs is highly speculative., particularly as that income would belong to the football club rather than the owner of the ground who presumably be the one paying for the development.

I haven't said they shouldn't build a Business Centre.
I've simply queried why it has to be overlooking the pitch when the stadium is surrounded by other spare land.
Maybe there is a good reason why it needs to be built on that corner? If so, what is it?

If you want luxury on the Kop, you should pay South Stand prices........
Family Stand actually, just trying to educate one little fucker to wash his hands, but the freezing water dont help my case :)

But then again, while Kev and family lounge in carpeted areas, maybe sanitation aint their main concern

No one on here actually knows how the design has been worked up. We haven't seen the site investigation report, we haven't seen the pre app report setting out planning constraints, we don't know the budget and we don't know how it will be funded.

A project this size is developed by a team of consultants such as structural engineers, architects, planning consultants, m&e, QS, etc. There is not one person on here with all those skills at a level where they could combine all the considerations and explain in full why it has been designed how it has, or properly justify any changes to it.

So there's little to be gained by arguing about it.

The plans that are afoot are a one-off opportunity to increase the capacity and make it one of the best grounds in the country.
Once built, there will be no second chance and what we are left with will be there for generations.
I and many others who've commented on this thread are entitled therefore to query if certain aspects of the current plans could be tweaked or improved.
Where do you get an estimate of 500 seats from? I suspect a good architect could fill the area with much more than that?
Failing that, fill it with money-spinning Executive boxes.
Anything built around the pitch should actually face the pitch and bring revenue into the football club.
That's my opinion.

I haven't said they shouldn't build a Business Centre.
I've simply queried why it has to be overlooking the pitch when the stadium is surrounded by other spare land.
Maybe there is a good reason why it needs to be built on that corner? If so, what is it?

I'm guessing it's for the TV studio needing to be incorporated along with the media centre but as I say, it's a guess.

Everyone has ideas on this except for who's going to foot the bill and how they get a return on investment. It's not as simple as saying PL money will pay for it, for example.

I've long thought that a good way to increase the 'footprint' of BDTBL would be to sail the BL stand over Bramall Lane. Apart from the two boozers, it's only second-hand car lots. They were all given CPO's years ago until the Council realised that Government-funded enhancements to the area was a no-no.

View attachment 32511

Doubt the Council will approve though...they don't like trees.

No one on here actually knows how the design has been worked up. We haven't seen the site investigation report, we haven't seen the pre app report setting out planning constraints, we don't know the budget and we don't know how it will be funded.

giphy.gif

A project this size is developed by a team of consultants such as structural engineers, architects, planning consultants, m&e, QS, etc. There is not one person on here with all those skills at a level where they could combine all the considerations and explain in full why it has been designed how it has, or properly justify any changes to it.

So there's little to be gained by arguing about it.

I've worked as a civil engineer for 40 years on projects which dwarf this one. Whilst not being endowed with all of the attributes you list, I have worked in teams incorporating the professions you mention, so I do have a better idea of how it works than most. All civil engineering projects start with one fundamental - the production of an economical and cost effective design. Which is what the preferred version of the redevelopment represents.

Some kind of adjustment must have been made when the new Kop was built to take into account the old channel walkway that extended the full width of it. That must have been at least seven or eight feet wide so they must have traversed it in some way. I suppose building techniques could accommodate a steeper rise but at what cost?

View attachment 32511

I've often thought this myself, I just forsee safety issues meaning it'd never be approved, like if a vehicle crashed in the tunnel on a match day and caught fire, they'd never allow it to be used.

Maybe if they made that section really speed bumpy it'd be alright. The other option really is re-route the road, just the bit immediately behind the stand, into those shithouse car lots, but I can't see that happening ever.

Back
Top Bottom