New training ground.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

ShorehamRevolution

Reaction score
This is nothing but a rumour just wanting to know if anyone else has heard it, just had a mate text me saying that we might be looking to build a new academy on the Norton aerodrome site across from Herding’s park. Anyone else heard the same? How long have we been at Shirecliffe now? The last time I went to shirecliffe I couldn’t see a problem with it but I suppose with new money comes bigger ambitions and from what I can gather from other clubs they’re surpassing us on the training facilities side of things when we used to be up there with the best in the country. Norton aerodrome is a massive although I have been told in the past that the big hanger on there is home to bats and therefore can’t be demolished.
Anyway, as I live a 2 minutes walk away from it I welcome the move !

Big problem with the ground there, some kind of toxic/chemicals issue one reason why houses haven't been built. Massive piece of land, quite flat too, good access

This is nothing but a rumour just wanting to know if anyone else has heard it, just had a mate text me saying that we might be looking to build a new academy on the Norton aerodrome site across from Herding’s park. Anyone else heard the same? How long have we been at Shirecliffe now? The last time I went to shirecliffe I couldn’t see a problem with it but I suppose with new money comes bigger ambitions and from what I can gather from other clubs they’re surpassing us on the training facilities side of things when we used to be up there with the best in the country. Norton aerodrome is a massive although I have been told in the past that the big hanger on there is home to bats and therefore can’t be demolished.
Anyway, as I live a 2 minutes walk away from it I welcome the move !

Think a new training ground has been desired for a while now hasn’t it? Wilder talked about this either last or the previous summer as something that needed to be done, spoke about Swansea’s excellent new facilities etc. Our facilities might have been fine in the past, but are hardly state of the art. I had hoped we would use our Premier League cash for some long-lasting infrastructure for the club, and this would be one good thing to invest in.

Combine it with youth facilities for the local community and Fleck might be able to avoid some of the dogshit and needles.
Isn’t there skateboard/mountain bike circuit on there somewhere? Plenty of flat land ripe for an academy project there, bats and pollution permitting.

Big problem with the ground there, some kind of toxic/chemicals issue one reason why houses haven't been built. Massive piece of land, quite flat too, good access
You can clean most areas up if needed, it's just about cost and for housing developers, they want maximum profit with minimum effort.
There's a huge ex-toxic plant which is being build on near North Wingfield in Chesterfield, so it can be done if the commercials stack up.
It is a massive site and would be a really significant improvement in our infrastructure giving us by far the best facilities within our geographical area.
This won't just help this side, but future teams and sets us up for the next 20 years. Also getting a site with a significantly large footprint means future improvements aren't as difficult, costly and complicated.

You never know Prince and his people might be up Norton looking for a place to build a new Stadium 😉 There is certainly plenty of land up there and it is flat too, I cant see how there would be a problem with the land being toxic it was never really an airfield as it was the home for a RAF detention centre and housed 3 squadrons of barrage balloons in WW2. About the only thing there now is something for the NHS the site would be ideal for a training ground, I'm sure the locals could help with the flying rats problem with a suspicious hanger fire.

My understanding was nothing to do with the ground/chemicals. The reason nothing has been built is because it was an old RAF base and belongs to the MOD who were previously reluctant to allow it to be developed.

The council kicked the driving school (that had spent years digging out all the abandoned old roads on there) for 11 to 16 year olds off the site last year.
So wouldn't be surprised they've had an offer to buy the land for development.

We could let out Shirecliffe to smaller clubs in the area.

It'd be a massive upgrade for Wednesday.

No we can't!

Let Wendy stay at and continue to train at Middlewood, with its rock hard pitches and blow-up tents.

Let the bastards fester at that shithole for as long as possible. We need to hinder that horrible club as much as possible, not help them out. The sooner Wendy crashes backwards through the divisions, the better for us.

Longer term, there is room for only one club to be truly successful in this city. One club has to go under eventually for the other to truly prosper. It's called survival of the fittest and that process is being played out at breakneck speed right now.

Keep Shirecliffe on for the younger United squads and our development teams.

Make sure it is Beilsa-proof. No nearby footpaths or handy viewing points.

No we can't!

Let Wendy stay at and continue to train at Middlewood, with its rock hard pitches and blow-up tents.

Let the bastards fester at that shithole for as long as possible. We need to hinder that horrible club as much as possible, not help them out. The sooner Wendy crashes backwards through the divisions, the better for us.

Longer term, there is room for only one club to be truly successful in this city. One club has to go under eventually for the other to truly prosper. It's called survival of the fittest and that process is being played out at breakneck speed right now.

Keep Shirecliffe on for the younger United squads and our development teams.
Shirecliffe for Sheffield FC perhaps?

Back
Top Bottom