Neill Collins moves into management

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I wish him well. He was a good guy and tried his best for us, although he was limited in his football. Sounds like he has made a good fist of being a coach so far as he won a coaching award in 2021. Interesting one to watch how he gets on. He always spoke well of United after he had moved on.

The next former Sheffield United player to be appointed an EFL Manager will be....

Nick Montgomery
Chris Wilder
Michael Doyle

I'll tell you what, I couldn't be arsed being a young player and him being my manager. George Long became half the player he was when he played with him, and he's probably the reason he had to wait so long before becoming a championship keeper.

He was a complete twatbag and it was never his fault. Always throwing his arms about and blaming others.
Now Michael Doyle, now we're talking. Similar limitations but he would hold himself accountable before anyone else, proper captain material and I hope he has a great career for himself in whatever he's doing next, most previously Forest Green assistant I assume to Big Dunc. The personality and drive of a manager 100%.

I'll tell you what, I couldn't be arsed being a young player and him being my manager. George Long became half the player he was when he played with him, and he's probably the reason he had to wait so long before becoming a championship keeper.

He was a complete twatbag and it was never his fault. Always throwing his arms about and blaming others.
Now Michael Doyle, now we're talking. Similar limitations but he would hold himself accountable before anyone else, proper captain material and I hope he has a great career for himself in whatever he's doing next, most previously Forest Green assistant I assume to Big Dunc. The personality and drive of a manager 100%.
George Long would have looked shit playing behind Dias and Stones. Collins always played his heart out for us however limited he was and was a great header of the ball.

George Long would have looked shit playing behind Dias and Stones. Collins always played his heart out for us however limited he was and was a great header of the ball.
One has gone on to make a very good career for himself, the other went to play in the US second division. Go figure.

Also, Collins was fucking wank.

Fucking whiny bellend, I wonder who he'll gob off at when it goes tits up, now that he no longer has McEveley and Long as his scapegoats.

I once shared a bowl of peanuts with Neil Collins' mum in a bar in Portugal while watching our first game of the season 2013-14 vs Notts County. It wasn't until midway through the 2nd half that she told me which one was her son having previously tried to keep it under wraps. Pleasant enough by my god she had the teeth of a junkie. Probably too many peanuts.

You may well think Collins is wank as it’s all about opinions but as far as careers go Collins had a far better career than long.
Neill Collins had one season as a regular Championship level, 2007/08 with Wolves when he was 24. At that level he was mainly a bit part player, he didn't play regularly until he joined us in 2010/11.

Long is 29 so approaching peak years for a keeper yet has managed two seasons as a first choice at Championship level.

I have no idea what your metric is but by any objective consideration Long's career is probably on a par with Collins'.

One has gone on to make a very good career for himself, the other went to play in the US second division. Go figure.

Also, Collins was fucking wank.
I know quite a few Millwall supporters who say the main reason they didn't make the play offs was Georgie boy being garbage. They don't rate him and are convinced he won't be starting for them next season.

Neill Collins had one season as a regular Championship level, 2007/08 with Wolves when he was 24. At that level he was mainly a bit part player, he didn't play regularly until he joined us in 2010/11.

Long is 29 so approaching peak years for a keeper yet has managed two seasons as a first choice at Championship level.

I have no idea what your metric is but by any objective consideration Long's career is probably on a par with Collins'.
Collins has played 160 games in the championship, played for some good clubs and wracked up over 500 appearances.

George long has played 50 times in the championship, and has only played for Hull of note (excluding us) he has just over 200 appearances total.

As they play in different positions the only way to judge them on their careers is the clubs they have played for and their appearances along the way. If you look at the stats for both of them there is only one winner (so far) that stands out as having the better career.

EDIT - maybe doing him injustice as haven’t got his Millwall stats, didn’t know he played for them tbh but maybe another season of appearances to add to his total.

Doyle Collins Long etc just remind me of the pre Wilder league one shit, imagine playing Doyle n Monty in the middle and expecting us to create 😳

I wish him well. He was a good guy and tried his best for us, although he was limited in his football. Sounds like he has made a good fist of being a coach so far as he won a coaching award in 2021. Interesting one to watch how he gets on. He always spoke well of United after he had moved on.

Nice guy and also has a lovely family. I knew them when they lived in Leeds and he gave me the shirt he wore on his winning debut at Swillsborough. Still got it. I hope he does very well and I can't wait to see them again.

Collins is one of those players that fans will always over-egg his contributions because he tried hard. As admirable as that is he was one of a number of players who just werent good enough to get us out of league one.

No ill feeling towards the fella, he gave his all for us and I hope he does well.

Collins as manager, he's got Doyle a job in the Oakwell car park pointing and waving at cars to look busy and pretending he's 100% committed at the same time. Pair of shitwasps.

Collins has played 160 games in the championship, played for some good clubs and wracked up over 500 appearances.

George long has played 50 times in the championship, and has only played for Hull of note (excluding us) he has just over 200 appearances total.

As they play in different positions the only way to judge them on their careers is the clubs they have played for and their appearances along the way. If you look at the stats for both of them there is only one winner (so far) that stands out as having the better career.

EDIT - maybe doing him injustice as haven’t got his Millwall stats, didn’t know he played for them tbh but maybe another season of appearances to add to his total.
41 for Milwall

I actually don't think Collins was a terrible player, but at a time we really needed leaders he just wasn't. Can't be having your senior CB unwilling to take any blame, it just doesn't work.

Back
Top Bottom