My take ...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Wish I had Wilders job,no matter how I do at my job ,I will not get the sack. Yet I bought most if these players,organise the training,pick the side and do the tactics. Unbelievable
I thought football was a results business
What will it take?

If Norwood should be benched and Ampadu’s no good in that position, then who plays in midfield with Berge crocked?

4-1-3-2

------------------------------------------Verrips----------------------------------------------

---Baldock--------------Bryan-----------------------------Robinson-----------Osborn------

-----------------------------------------Basham-----------------------------------------------

------Bogle---------------------------McGodrick--------------------------Fleck-------------

----------------------------Brewster----------------Burke------------------------------------

The whole midfield four can move backwards once possession is with the opposition into a 5-3-2. But once we have possession the midfield four moves out as a whole and leaves the wingbacks in place so we aren't exposed and Basham remains as a central 'blocker' and we stop this 'boot it out to the wings/across the pitch' nonsense that Norwood has everyone believing is 'the way'.

pommpey

'boot it out to the wings/across the pitch'
We have to start attacking though the middle, like every other successful team. I like the formation but dare i say it Lundstrum for Bash and Bash for Robinson

'boot it out to the wings/across the pitch'

We have to start attacking though the middle, like every other successful team. I like the formation but dare i say it Lundstrum for Bash and Bash for Robinson

We can't though. A lot of teams play a narrower four in midfield, whereby the likes of Norwood are outnumbered and passed around, when they advance also - like Leicester do, they drop one behind and allow the other one - usually Maddison - to advance and assist with the attack or even crack it at goal from outside the box.

Our midfield fails because Fleck usually looks bogged down and is looking for the wingplay options (although once or twice today he just pressed on toward goal), Lundstram usually just stops advancing and turns (because there's nothing with him and Norwood is usually ten metres behind his position), and Norwood himself is always looking to the flanks or this fancy, across-the-pitch chopped volley pass which looks fucking splendid up at Shirecliffe or against Bristol Rovers, but is suicide against PL oppositions.

pommpey

I sometimes think you're a bit harsh for effect, but I can live with that and enjoy reading, it's your style. I can't disagree with anything there today though. I stopped watching after their 2nd went in. What's the point? If the players can't be arsed, in this case Norwood, then why should I? I ended up having a reasonably relaxing Sunday afternoon and made a perfectly adequate fish pie.

A year ago he was going to be the next England manager. His reputation is falling faster than his team I'm very sorry to say.
just watched his after match interview with giddings and he doesnt look well to me i think hes close again to resigning

I understand what you are saying and your points are quite valid but we have to try something different I am sure you will agree, playing wide again and again is so what everyone expects....just like his substitutions, am sure Bash was subbed in his head before the game started.

Today I was not angry, just dissapointed. It shows how far we have fallen that I laughed at Rammers first sliced clearance and chuckled again when we went 1 down after 5 mins. It's easier to laugh than to cry.

How the hell Norwood stayed on for as long as he did, I will never know. I was amazed we scored and really pleased for Didsy. Must be totally soul destroying to play in that team.

The problem is we have months more of this before we are inevitably confirmed as down. I am really glad the fa cup can provide a welcome distraction.
One day Burke will score a hatful, one day!!

In more positive news I went to the park with my wife and daughter after the 3rd goal.

my thoughts too. Burke and Brewster in the champ is a good prospect.

hopefully.

I sometimes think you're a bit harsh for effect, but I can live with that and enjoy reading, it's your style. I can't disagree with anything there today though. I stopped watching after their 2nd went in. What's the point? If the players can't be arsed, in this case Norwood, then why should I? I ended up having a reasonably relaxing Sunday afternoon and made a perfectly adequate fish pie.

Well, in response, you can't be harsher 'for effect' than to stop watching (I assume if you were at the Lane, you'd have left?) after we go two down in the first half?

pommpey

Seems like a million years since the first half versus the bar codes, doesn't it? It did show we can do it, even if Newcastle did show - ostensibly as a poorly put together and footballing-wise functionally inept unit - us to be more than capable than we actually are. Oh for the fickle hope and belief that 'we'd tuned it round'. Spurs at the back end of last season actually played like Newcastle in that they seemed - back then - to be there just for a kick about and we rightly beat them. But this season we were on the end of a lesson at home, once again, thanks to the same old lineup, with the same old underperforming of incapable players which gives us the same old outcomes. Whither Wilder is forced into this madness through lack of choice, or his playing staff refuse or are incapable of playing any other way or simply because he's stubborn or unable to visualise a better system still remains to be seen. What is clear is that after the mild relief that we won't finish the season on two points and not winning one game, it's business as usual at BDTBL becoming 'the team who were finally found out'. I'm pissed off with this moniker, because Wigan Athletic, Bolton, Watford, QPR, Charlton, Sunderland and even Pompey managed significantly more Premier League time before the pressure finally opened up cracks large enough to doom them. With us its one season (2006-07) and now two seasons, before we meet the ignominy of being dumped back down, some say, 'where we belong'. Today showed why.

There were some moderate bright(er) highlights. Obviously Egan and Basham performed to their best ability, Fleck had a slightly better game, Lundstrum is finally realising no fucker is interested in him so might as well play for his shirt and Didsy just does the rest. But the darker moments kill us off and we do actually play some shockingly poor Championship level football for long periods of most games now. And we have Oliver fucking Norwood, whom no doubt many on here are sullenly ready to defend for his output, who takes the shit pie topped with diahorrea once again. You know how long I have suggested - gently - that this bloke is woefully inept at Premier League level in such a pivotal role in midfield in the 5-3-2 system. And, just like Desso making us play 'fast, attacking football' (and losing eight games at home on it), like the board's 'Game Changing Investments' bullshit and like the nature of Kevin fucking McCabe, I feel quietly confident yet uncomfortably vindicated that Oliver fucking Norwood is and always will be a pretty average Championship level player. Today showed it. Now if you wish to discuss that fact let's do it, but it doesn't make me 'not a Sheffield United fan' to agree with Souness today to say he was 'pathetic'. He was pathetic against West Ham recently when he let Haller get away from him and stood watching whilst he clipped the ball into the top corner. He was also pathetic when he let Siggurdsson get away from him for Everton's winner and he was also pathetic when he lost the ball to Eze and let him get away from him. pointing ineffectively like he does. Today he was serially robbed and made to look shit by a midfield who had the brief 'just press him' and they did. He had none of the space that Newcastle gifted him yet as soon as he's got the ball panics like fuck because he's not got the mindset to put his foot on it and quickly, deftly move into space and forward into attack. He needs an age and a target on the flanks to smack it to, and up here in the well-paid, well-skilled Premier League, you don't get that. Everybody knows it. Except him, and maybe Chris Wilder. So today he loses the ball between the halfway line and our area, trots ineffectively back behind the advancing Harry Kane and arrives just in time to see the England centre forward smack the ball past 'arms and legs' into the bottom corner. Again, he should have broke into applause and patted Kane on the shoulder. 'Well done Harry!' Later on, after a series of ineffective receives and give aways in midfield and (to his credit) some involvement, he lest the ball run across his body and straight to a Spurs shirt and they score an admittedly superb goal. Where is he? Ooh, somewhere stopped on the edge of the box, where he was in the above mentioned goals too. Keane and Souness are right about that - both know that giving the ball away in midfield against such an effective strikeforce like Spurs in their day needed nothing more than the guts and determination to have a voice in your head that says, 'Fuck. It is MY job to break everything I have to recover this as it is my mistake' and as players, they did that in spades. Norwood's inner voice is something I doubt says that, because they haven't got Ferguson or Paisley booting their cock off in the dressing room afterwards.

Norwood was poor, but by no means alone. Ramsdale is proving to be an embarrassingly poor signing. He keeps goal like a schoolkid - an U-16. His demeanour suggests mental and physical fragility and it says something that we have four keepers on our books, one there for five seasons and another for two, all drawing wages, and all untested or without a performance with Ramsdale giving us the most shocking moments of recent years. He is no better than Mark Howard or even Simonsen. At least you knew where you stood with those two and save for save, they were just more capable and reliable. Ramsdale is unsuited for this level and Bournemouth - just like with Breadstick Boy Moussett - have had our kecks firmly down and off. If he is not kicking out into space or to a Spurs shirt he is flapping at crosses (or dropping them) or he is unsighted for a near post header that goes between him and Norwood on the front stick. Sure, it was from four yards, but yeah, I'm gonna say it - Henderson would have at least got a hand to that. Why don't we see if Verrips could do better? Can't do any fucking worse.

Elsewhere we failed to make the effect needed and when needed, especially when coming back into the game at 1-2. Tottenham can be scored against - many teams have upset them this season and punished their chinks in their armour. Today they were playing with a back 3 and it looked at times shakey, especially when Burke got round them with his astonishing pace. So, let's sacrifice that and stick the kid on, so he never gets a touch. Great idea, Wilder. Let's also remove basham, the only player who can go round players once again, and put Billy on so we can all kiss the badge and sing GCB, just for shits and giggles. Never mind we might need at least a point out of this fucking shitshow of a game.

First half though we started in the usual 'holy fuck, incoming' mode even after they'd took the easy lead. Then they just sat and mopped us up and pushed us back and we didn't feature much save for some forays which were forced wide and nullified (see earlier posts for how this happens) and end up chasing their breakouts with the usual end result.

Ramsdale 4/10: Okay, a couple of tip-overs and a flap off the line, but this kid isn't on the same frequency as his defence, and lacks the competence and capability to keep goal for a Premier League side. Give you a clue - last season he did the fucking same.
Bogle 5/10: Piss poor challenging for their first (i.e. jump, you daft fucker) Otherwise was tied up with Reguilon out wide so had his hands full
Basham 6/10: Had a torrid time with Son's pace but did well reading passes and intercepted well. No fucking idea why he went off. Pointless substitution.
Egan 7/10: Thought he coped well with the threats they had when he could and wasn't, once again, covering for Ampadu. Some good inteceptions, blocks and headers
Ampadu 4/10: Business as usual. And he's no good in Norwood's position, either
Stevens 5/10: Thought he had a better game than lately. Managed to get down the flanks a lot but has no longer got a 90 minute engine. You need that in the PL
Lundstram 5.5/10: A better performance from him at times andhe looked like he wanted to get involved, if largely with no outcome because Bogle was nowhere round him and Norwood was busy fouling or clapping Kane
Norwood 2/10: I mean it this time. Shit performance and should tell Wilder, and you lot, what I have been saying about him for the best part of a year now. His is the start point for our rebuild and it should begin next match with him transfer listed and benched.
Fleck 5/10: Again, a more improved outing from him. He looks like he is going through a realisation that what he's been giving the team has been poor and is at least trying, but still nowhere near PL levels of ability
McGoldrick 8/10: The only player who looks like he can do it at the level we are at. And we got him for nowt from Ipswich, and he's 33. Took his goal well, something our other fifty million priced duds can't do
Burke 6.5/10: Cracking pace and determination to clse down, harry and get at the opposition. Then, he's subbed

Bryan 5/10: An improvement on Ampadu and may even grow into the LCB. In about twenty years.
Brewster 2/10: Poor kid
Sharp 4/10: Got at them as much as he could and should have hit the target with his tasty effort. But by that time we were buried.

Wilder 2/10: Not really expecting him to be sacked when we get relegated. But I do expect him to significantly prepare us for any attempt at a return. And that means getting rid of a lot of players he's bought and expensively, stupidly tied up in contracts.

Sky 1/10: Sound sync problems early on and staying too long lingering on Dawson/Mourinho when the ball is live

And to my detractors - if you haven't the potatoes to admit and face up to the fucking obvious with regard Sheffield United, this damned season, Chris Wilder and this team, I can't help you. You're in denial. You want someone to call a cunt? See them on the pitch today.

pommpey
Give it a rest with the ' you lot'.

Otherwise 5.5/10

A year ago he was going to be the next England manager. His reputation is falling faster than his team I'm very sorry to say.

Yes, as much as I want Wilder to stay and be the man to get us back up - away from this - his reputation will probably never recover from this in terms of getting a top job or even a PL job again. This one season has probably done him as a top manager (at least top level). I thought he may go on and be like Everton or Spurs manager or even England. Now he is more likely to be Barnsley or Rotherham manager next!

The only way he gets back to this level is with us. Now he looks just like Wagner or Paul Jewell who had one good season and then just looked a bit out of his depth. SAd to see for him and us. He looks completely clueless how to turn it around. I think he will stay for now but would not be shocked still if he packs it all in by the end of February. He probably needs a break from the game for his mental health.

Just be a horrible way for it to end. I at least want him to come back next season and have another go at it and reinvent us and create another good team even if we have to change half of this squad and get some new blood in.

Well, in response, you can't be harsher 'for effect' than to stop watching (I assume if you were at the Lane, you'd have left?) after we go two down in the first half?

pommpey
It wasn't a major dig mate, like I say, I enjoy reading your takes, just my opinion as I read them, doesn't make any odds to me. As for walking out at half time if I was there, probably not, I'd have spent time and money getting there and probably would be with others as a bit of a social. Perhaps I'm just less invested in this whole football lite we're watching? Maybe the players feel a bit the same? Anyhow, I'll continue reading your takes and no doubt enjoying them.

There were occasions when we actually moved the ball around pretty well. Much better than for most of the season prior to last Saturday. Of course, we don't look very dangerous when we arrive in a position we can actually do some damage.
I agree with this. Today was far from our worst performance of the season. We actually attacked! We had more shots than Spurs did although we didn't create anything you'd call a big chance. I think last season we draw this 1-1 or, if we do lose it, we'd sort of shrug and say "decent performance against strong opposition undermined by a couple of individual errors."

Of course, after the results we've been having it feels like just another kick in the balls.

It means stop being so ridiculous in treating all forum members as a homogenous group aka ' you lot'.

paissley blade

I think the forum members concerned know who I am referring to.

pommpey

Can't disagree with that assessment. Ramsdale is low on confidence, but technically he looks so poor.
Norwood, is just too slow in everything he does at this level.
Burke will be one of our stand out players between now and the end of the season. We ll have just got him up to start realising his potential, then someone like West Ham or Villa will come snap him up.

4-1-3-2

------------------------------------------Verrips----------------------------------------------

---Baldock--------------Bryan-----------------------------Robinson-----------Osborn------

-----------------------------------------Basham-----------------------------------------------

------Bogle---------------------------McGodrick--------------------------Fleck-------------

----------------------------Brewster----------------Burke------------------------------------

The whole midfield four can move backwards once possession is with the opposition into a 5-3-2. But once we have possession the midfield four moves out as a whole and leaves the wingbacks in place so we aren't exposed and Basham remains as a central 'blocker' and we stop this 'boot it out to the wings/across the pitch' nonsense that Norwood has everyone believing is 'the way'.

pommpey
Am I reading that right, a Premier League central defensive partnership of Kean Bryan and (an injured) Jack Robinson over a lad who plays centre half for his country?

It was a big mistake buying Ramsdale this year. Any half decent prem reserve keeper would have done us with the shit playing in front of him. It was an impossible task for any keeper following Henderson. Bit like the super fit bird that walks out on you, anyone after just doesn't match up regardless of how good looking they are.

It was a big mistake buying Ramsdale this year. Any half decent prem reserve keeper would have done us with the shit playing in front of him. It was an impossible task for any keeper following Henderson. Bit like the super fit bird that walks out on you, anyone after just doesn't match up regardless of how good looking they are.
Ben Foster for me. Couple of years left in him. He was phenomenal for Watford last year, then get someone younger in behind him to slow burn develop.

Am I reading that right, a Premier League central defensive partnership of Kean Bryan and (an injured) Jack Robinson over a lad who plays centre half for his country?

Egan is suspended for Man United game

pommpey

It's like having a motel weekend with someone of the likes of Pink, or Rhianna. You know that it would have your balls as flat as a bat's wing, your johnson feeling like it had been shut in a drawer, marks all over your body and soul and your sexual morality put into serious question.

Anything that came your way after that would not possibly tick as many boxes and feel significantly vanilla.

pommpey

It's like having a motel weekend with someone of the likes of Pink, or Rhianna. You know that it would have your balls as flat as a bat's wing, your johnson feeling like it had been shut in a drawer, marks all over your body and soul and your sexual morality put into serious question.

Anything that came your way after that would not possibly tick as many boxes and feel significantly vanilla.

pommpey

7/10 pommpey. Would have been the full 10/10 had you managed to give Katie Price's fanny a mention.

Back
Top Bottom