My take ...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

"...oh to be in England, now that the Blades have won..."

Or something like that.

That was like the Sheffield United of last season. We should have been 2-0 up at half time, but at least we were testing the keeper.

Come on Blades, just play like that every game (or as close to it as you can).

UTB.

I think the issue was they were both shitting themselves, understandably, and nearly made me join in at the time.
Mate, both me and my missus were, "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

Have to say, given the footballing gods, what should have happened is the ball rolls past Ramsdale, clips the inside of the post, rolls along the line with the keeper frantically chasing it, hitsbthe other post, Ramsdale dives and scoops it back into the field of play straight onto Egan's shin as he covers, and then rebounds into the net.

It's the Blades way!

:D

pommpey

Great show, from everyone in fact. So pleased, not just for Wilder, but for the team and for us. We've suffered enough.

First half was Sheffield United of last season. Right the way across the team and the pitch, we were at them and moving forward. And that was right from the kick off, not ten minutes in. Come 20 minutes I was wondering when Newcastle were going to take the ball off us and then just pressure us into giving the game away, but we just didn't allow them that luxury. For once this season the defence looked like they knew where each other was and they played like an effective outfit, covering off, moving out of the backline and controlling their attacking forays. Okay, Newcastle got a decent cross in which they should have converted but really, the back three weren't under any pressure. And that's no reflection on how poor NUFC were - they do have capability up front. This also combined with surges up the wing and Ampadu seemed to play a lot wider and with more freedom that he has recently. NUFC tried to stick four out into the dead zone but were not sharp enough to stop Dids breaking through - the left side this time seemed a better prospect with Osborn so far advanced, Fleck now switched on and Ampadu providing the safety net and overload. Over the other side it was the same story too. We just didn't manage to get the luck or the break until Fraser got his second yellow - deservedly so.

Kinda knew Bruce would put the blockers up with 4-4-1 in the second half and for about twenty minutes I wasn't convinced we'd get the lucky break. We still seemed to dawdle in the wide areas despite having a heck of a lot of chances to cross. Down the wing, meet the block, back a bit, across the pitch, down the other wing, et cetera. Even when we hooked Burke and Basham, puzzling substitutes despite Basham having a below par game, we still seemed reluctant to tear their fucking throats out and leave them bleeding out. The midfield - for so long our painful weakness tonight was pretty bloody flawless save for one or two misplaced passes and the bit was evident that 'they want this'. Okay, they gave us a lot of time on the ball but big deal. It's up to us to exploit weaknesses like that. The only thing that worried me was either a Ramsdale fuck up (or dropped catch) or a boot down the pitch which beats the back four, as it was by then.

After we scored however we seemed to shit a brick a bit and you could see the team panicking a bit when they brought Carrol on. It was as if we were expecting them to score, or even win. The belief for a bit seemed to be ebbing out somewhat, almost 'fuck me, we are in front. We must give the game back to them'. Norwood makes a daft cross field pass and puts us in trouble and suddenly we are defending and losing the plot. But we survived. And I'm so fucking glad. Usually we just fold. Tonight, we didn't.

Ramsdale 7/10: A clean sheet. Congratulations feller, you have deserved it, however, fucking communicate with your left side back four at all times as to where the fuck you are if the ball is approaching him. Ramsdale was 50% responsible for what would have been the most embarrassing fuck up in our history. The glee on his face when he caught that tame free kick at the end said it all. Long may it continue.
Bogle 7/10: Drops a point for the other 50% for the above, but overall a pretty fucking good outing. George Baldock needs to get fit and get fighting for his place back because Bogle is impressive and developing. Unlucky not to score again.
Basham 5/10: Fragile tonight and for two matches running, seemed to be flagging a bit. C'mon Bash. You're better than this.
Egan 8/10: Fucking monumental. A real rock at the back and linked well with Norwood and Ampadu. Some good interceptions and blocks, and positionally good.
Ampadu 7.5/10: Motored really well in the first half and looked like he wanted his shirt for once.
Osborn 8/10: Pleasing outing and he got very involved down the flank and a simply excellet block in the first half
Lundstram 7/10: One of his best games for a long while in a United shirt. He actually looked like he wanted the game tonight, and showed pleasing levels of energy and commitment
Norwood 2/10: Just kidding! 7.5/10: Would have got half a point more save for that daft pass but tonight he was a damned sight better than any performance for about a year or so. His first two corners were decent balls into the danger area, he worked fucking hard in a largely empty midfield linking and passing and got stuck in without his usual desperate silliness. Spread the ball well left and right and even won a few aerial challenges.
Fleck 6.5/10: A vast improvement on recent outings. Did fairly well out wide and linking when Wilder changed to 4-3-1-2 and showed better composure but still naps a bit in possession and gets his pocket picked
McGoldrick 8/10: Great game. Again, involved in everything, if not attracting players to him to stop playing then showing for the ball and being generally a pain in the arse for the opposition midfield and defence. Would have loved to have seen him lift that ball up into the far top corner instead of give the keeper a decent save
Burke 7/10: What a pest, but again, needs shooting practice. That clearance he blocked with the rear of his thigh in the first half and hardly flinched - that'll smart tomorrow morning. But that was typical of his 'never give up' game. He needs a PL goal

Brewster 7/10: A much better game although the Geordies did give him loads of room to run at them. So unlucky with the post hit. Looks sharper and more hungry.
Sharp 6/10: Well fought for and taken penalty, but fuck me Billy. What the fuck are you doing putting your studs down a player's ankle? So lucky not to be redded. He has that in him. He did it v Scumpton last season at BDTBL and needs to fucking stop it. But he won us the game.
Jagielka n/a:

Wilder 9/10: Well done boss and congratulations on your win. Sometimes can be difficult to play against ten men and especially a Bruce outfit as he tends to have some solution which opens us up. But tonight CW had the fellers fired up and playing 2019-20 football, at last. It was a pleasing, sometimes nervy game, but at last we have aclean sheet and a win. Big deal if its just 1-0 and against ten men. We got away with a red card and they didn't - which makes a fucking change.

Europe back on, then?

pommpey
⚔️⚔️👍🏻👍🏻🤪

Pussy. Given inflated marks because of previous abuse.

I can only go on what I heard on Radio Sheff, and the clips on SSN.

To me, this was night and day compared to this seasons performances, a flashback to last season.

Our pen, I thought was a tad fortunate. Looked to me like Billy gave the guy a bit of a nudge (not a foul just a nudge) and the guy went into the ball, but hey we'll take it.

As an ex keeper myself, thats Ramsdale's ball and if he didn't shout (I'm not sure whether he did or didn't) then he should have. But a clean sheet, lets hope that gives the lad a boost.

A win at last, thank fuck :)
When they were doing the VAR review they showed footage where you could just see Fernandez look at the ball before his arm caught it.

When they were doing the VAR review they showed footage where you could just see Fernandez look at the ball before his arm caught it.
Which is why I'm sat at home on the sofa finishing the Christmas Quality Street and not sat in a comfy chair at Stockley Park :)

Why was it a strange position, he's claiming the ball through.
Sorry, I meant 'strange' as in 'not between the posts'. If a goalkeeper leaves his usual position, he should be bellowing it out so that everyone knows. He was probably right to come out, but should have left everyone in no doubt what he was doing. I didn't hear a shout on the TV, but obviously it's possible that he did call (in which case Bogle would be fully at fault).

For declarations of interest, I'm a keeper, so it's rare for me to not stick up for the Union ;)

Sorry, I meant 'strange' as in 'not between the posts'. If a goalkeeper leaves his usual position, he should be bellowing it out so that everyone knows. He was probably right to come out, but should have left everyone in no doubt what he was doing. I didn't hear a shout on the TV, but obviously it's possible that he did call (in which case Bogle would be fully at fault).

For declarations of interest, I'm a keeper, so it's rare for me to not stick up for the Union ;)
He deffo called for it.

Norwood 2/10: Just kidding
Oh you little tinker!

Unbelievably, I agree almost entirely with all your scores although I would have Egan ahead of Didzy. I thought Osborn faded a bit late on, so I'd have him at least half a mark behind.

I thought Billy was poor and his runs and play ponderous, although credit to him for the effort in the tussle to win the penalty. Where he does earn marks, is the balls he showed in our most important penalty for years.

I thought Billy was poor and his runs and play ponderous, although credit to him for the effort in the tussle to win the penalty. Where he does earn marks, is the balls he showed in our most important penalty for years.

And for that, I'll forgive him for the other bit (where, if anything, he looked a bit inexperienced).

And for that, I'll forgive him for the other bit (where, if anything, he looked a bit inexperienced).

I've been a big Billy fan for years and have numerous posts on here defending him. Sadly I think he just hasn't got the speed or quality to fully compete at this level. He shows experience but is playing against faster defenders, who also think faster than in L1 or La Liga and he struggles to win challenges.

He remains a predatory threat though, as showed by the run he made for the penalty. He's missed a few at the Lane so it took big bollocks to take that vital spot kick.

I think he still has a part to play in the squad coming on against tiring defenders when we need to go on the offensive. I really don't want to be too negative, as this is a positive thread, that has been ages in coming.

Back
Top Bottom