My take

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Ok. I'll bite. Norwood in Wilder's 3-5-2 plays the quarterback role. Sits in the middle, distributes play left and right, occasionally popping up on the right to play that deeper first time cross into the strikers. In that central position he is tasked with a defensive midfielder role when not in possession. There to help stifle opposition breaks, a big risk with wolves, and provide a central pivot if the right 3 or left 3 are unable to work an opening down that side. He also takes most of our free kicks where he's clearly asked to focus on delivery or pre-rehearsed set pieces.

Tonight we were solid against the counter, switched play nicely and scored from a set piece. All of which is helped when Norwood plays well.

Your rating and criticism of him is based on what you think he should be doing not on what Wilder had asked him to do and what he did very well tonight. A 5 is ridiculous. Goodnight.
There's no quarterback in British football, that's American football ffs.

Thought Norwood had a much improved game
The front two looked good when CW changed it in the second half, game them something different to deal with

I also tear my hair out when I see corners going out of play beyond the far post , something which has been a constant source of irritation to me and others for longer than I care to remember .

However , much of this frustration has not so much been directed at the corner taker but more so at the fact that we , along with many other teams it has to said , rarely if ever have someone positioned there for just this eventuality which happens time and time again .

It's not exactly rocket science to have a big fucker standing about 5 yards beyond the far post and about a yard in from the touch line , charged with the duty of heading any ball which bypasses everyone else back into the box .

Such situations are a nightmare for defenders to deal with and , on the rare occasions I've seen us do this down the years , it has often lead to a goal . There was one not too long ago when JOC did exactly what I'm advocating but I can't remember which match .

( I probably would if it had been 60 years ago :) )
I agree and if done purposely as a tactic then why the hell haven’t we got someone there at the back stick for that very ball.

Because we don’t/haven’t then I’m more inclined to think that it’s Norwood over hitting them. I can accept the odd one or two but ours seemed to be one or two every game and like I said earlier you have to take all your opportunities at this level as some games we might only get 5-6 corners in total. A professional footballer should be getting pretty much all of these on the money, especially someone with the quality of Norwood

As said (and not just by me) much of Norwood's corners since the restart have not found an attacking result and have either been floated to no one at the back stick or hitvthe first man. What evidence do tou need that in that department alone, he has been underperforming. He puts one in the zone last night and one of our centrebacks gets his head on it fornthe winner. I can't see what else there newds to be demonstrated.

pommpey

Fair enough - I think it's just a different type of debating. If you say that "he's only done that once", I take that at face value and would dispute it. You meant that he "doesn't do it enough", which is a bit more reasonable.

Just for context, by the way: Only about 2% of corners lead to goals. That's an average across all leagues, not just SUFC. Fans tend to have unrealistic expectations of corners - nearly all teams' fans will say that their team is crap at corners.

I personally think that Norwood's corners are pretty decent. He definitely hits some duffers, but I think that's because corner takers are ordered by their managers to mix it up. If they hit them into the zone every time (which they are probably technically capable of doing), it becomes very predictable and keepers will anticipate it. The most dangerous corners are the ones that only just clear the first man, and whip into the danger zone. The margin of error is tiny, though, which is why so many corners (not just Norwood's) fail to beat the first man. Commentators and fans bemoan it, but I think it's an unavoidable risk if you want to put in genuinely dangerous balls.

As usual, Pedro jumps on the bandwagon and fails to defend Norwood's rating, as other, more articulate forum members have (in many ways justifiably so)

pommpey

Which bandwagon is this ?
Why would I defend your rating of Norwood ?
Ive got much better things to do with my time

Which bandwagon is this ?
Why would I defend your rating of Norwood ?
Ive got much better things to do with my time

Well, obviously, you think he should have a higher rating. The invitation is there for you to do that, in his defence. Others have, with admirable and respectful levels of articulation, you however, are coming in, studs-up, like a lot on the bandwagon.

If you've got much better things to do with your time Pedro, one asks the question, why even bother with your chipping in comment? Surely, with such a hectic life, the unsolicited and clearly fucked-up assessment of Sheffield United's performance against Wolves by a poster you don't like shouldn't garner much attention, let alone open a comment on, unless you are also just 'attention seeking'?

pommpey

Respect your right to an opinion obviously, but what a load of old saggy bollocks.

Norwood is suddenly receiving a lot of criticism from certain posters on here. He was brill last night, as were most of the players. Arguably our most pivotal player in the current setup.

Respect your right to an opinion obviously, but what a load of old saggy bollocks.

Norwood is suddenly receiving a lot of criticism from certain posters on here. He was brill last night, as were most of the players. Arguably our most pivotal player in the current setup.

Saggy bollocks?

Okay - for the record, I have indicated most of the other players were 'brill'. Norwood however (I feel) wasn't. I have indicated why also. If you say he was 'pivotal', then explain how. As said, he can find Enda and George with a 40 yd pinger, but does that move us up the pitch? How easy is it for opposition managers to say to their wide back four defenders, "When they give the ball to Norwood out of defence, get tight on their wingbacks because that is where it is going next. He's also a lot easier to dispossess and a bit lightweight in the centre of the park, moreso than even Berge, who in some instances seems tackle-shy at times. In other games he is apt to allow players to drift past him (unlike Osborn, who busts a gut to jockey and chase for example) or when being outstripped, will pick himself up a card or give a free kick away as he trips the opposition player needlessly (like Spurs) Furthermore, once he's yellowed, he's in with the elbow, risking the whole match and us down to ten men two PL games in a row. I feel fans are a bit 'wow' about him simply because of the 'ping', which really, does nowt fancy. If he smacked one at goal every match and forced the keeper to do something or put crosses in like the Villa one then maybe his stock would rise in value. But sitting in front of the back four and effectively doing nothing tremendous doesn't impress me. Obviously, it does you.

I think people are tremendously forgiving a rose-tinted with Norwood.There is a clear reason why managers have ditched him on promotion and a revised MF of Fleck/Osborn-Berge-Freeman L/Lundstram as choices with Berge being the anchor could possibly be the key to our midfield being more productive and forward facing.

If that is saggy bollocks, then you're welcome. I'd appreciate your substantive reasoning.

pommpey

Saggy bollocks?

Okay - for the record, I have indicated most of the other players were 'brill'. Norwood however (I feel) wasn't. I have indicated why also. If you say he was 'pivotal', then explain how. As said, he can find Enda and George with a 40 yd pinger, but does that move us up the pitch? How easy is it for opposition managers to say to their wide back four defenders, "When they give the ball to Norwood out of defence, get tight on their wingbacks because that is where it is going next. He's also a lot easier to dispossess and a bit lightweight in the centre of the park, moreso than even Berge, who in some instances seems tackle-shy at times. In other games he is apt to allow players to drift past him (unlike Osborn, who busts a gut to jockey and chase for example) or when being outstripped, will pick himself up a card or give a free kick away as he trips the opposition player needlessly (like Spurs) Furthermore, once he's yellowed, he's in with the elbow, risking the whole match and us down to ten men two PL games in a row. I feel fans are a bit 'wow' about him simply because of the 'ping', which really, does nowt fancy. If he smacked one at goal every match and forced the keeper to do something or put crosses in like the Villa one then maybe his stock would rise in value. But sitting in front of the back four and effectively doing nothing tremendous doesn't impress me. Obviously, it does you.

I think people are tremendously forgiving a rose-tinted with Norwood.There is a clear reason why managers have ditched him on promotion and a revised MF of Fleck/Osborn-Berge-Freeman L/Lundstram as choices with Berge being the anchor could possibly be the key to our midfield being more productive and forward facing.

If that is saggy bollocks, then you're welcome. I'd appreciate your substantive reasoning.

pommpey

Agree with most of what you're saying. I think Norwood's been brilliant for us & took us onto another level, I genuinely do really rate him as a player.

However, to progress further it's his role that needs to be upgraded on. He's a bit immobile & can be a bit slow to move the ball. He needs too many touches.

Saggy bollocks?

pommpey
I wholeheartedly disagree with just about every reason you don’t think Norwood is all that. Which just seems to be he’s apparently lightweight, easy to dispossess and has no other standout qualities than a ‘ping’.

Fuck me, we’re sitting in a European spot and you’re saying shite like there’s a reason why clubs have binned him? So he’s barely contributed to our success? He doesn’t help bring out the best in the players around him. I believe that after his only very bad game for us at Newcastle there’s been a lynch mob after him. He barely gave it away yesterday and has barely been “easily dispossessed” throughout his time at SUFC considering how often he shows for the ball and is the very core of the majority of our attacks. We have some incredibly weird fans.

Agree with most of what you're saying. I think Norwood's been brilliant for us & took us onto another level, I genuinely do really rate him as a player.

However, to progress further it's his role that needs to be upgraded on. He's a bit immobile & can be a bit slow to move the ball. He needs too many touches.

He looked threatened by Berge to me, I think it was the Newcastle game where he was trying to play at the same tempo and speed Berge wanted and Norwood kept giving it away.

It's a shame Osborn is not right footed, as i'd like to have seen Berge in the middle and Fleck/Osborn either side.

Well, obviously, you think he should have a higher rating. The invitation is there for you to do that, in his defence. Others have, with admirable and respectful levels of articulation, you however, are coming in, studs-up, like a lot on the bandwagon.

If you've got much better things to do with your time Pedro, one asks the question, why even bother with your chipping in comment? Surely, with such a hectic life, the unsolicited and clearly fucked-up assessment of Sheffield United's performance against Wolves by a poster you don't like shouldn't garner much attention, let alone open a comment on, unless you are also just 'attention seeking'?

pommpey

😂 😂 😂

I wholeheartedly disagree with just about every reason you don’t think Norwood is all that. Which just seems to be he’s apparently lightweight, easy to dispossess and has no other standout qualities than a ‘ping’.

Yeah. That's about it, really. You can't counter that, though?

Fuck me, we’re sitting in a European spot and you’re saying shite like there’s a reason why clubs have binned him?

You''re conflating two matters there: 1. My assessment of Norwood's ability (as a footballing layman) and 2. Sheffield United's current position in the PL (which in truth is testimony to a lot of other things, mostly the unquestionable integrity and brilliance of Wilder, Knill and the rest of his squad) If you can tell me why other teams have binned Norwood once they were promoted then I am all ears. I do think we have better options, even in Berge, who is improving.

So he’s barely contributed to our success?

Didn't say that. I said, I don't think he has recently been performing well.

He doesn’t help bring out the best in the players around him.

Don't know. Does he? If so, you'll show me how. Compared to Osborn who does show midfield capability, and Lundstram who has surprised a few this season, I'd say it's debatable. What 'best' has he brought out? Which players? Which games? Prove it.

I believe that after his only very bad game for us at Newcastle there’s been a lynch mob after him.

Y'see, I'd say YOU are being hard on Norwood there. The NUFC game wasn't a 'very' bad game - simply a poor game where he failed to make his presence felt and impose. His passing was pretty shit, to be honest and he didn't make telling passes or stop the Geordie midfield from dominating. But then again, it wasn't uncommon. Villa he was below standard and against MUFC he might as well have not turned up.

He barely gave it away yesterday and has barely been “easily dispossessed” throughout his time at SUFC considering how often he shows for the ball and is the very core of the majority of our attacks.

He shows for the ball - correct. But from then on in it's not really progressive football. Sure, he can square pass and set Basham off. Sure he can ping it wide. But I want to see him carry, pass, move, receive and become more of the midfield attacking phalanx. Like I have said, I am given to believe he has a wand of a right foot. Why don't we see him take a crack at goal - even from a free kick? We've mentioned his crossing is poor. Why? Why can't he beat the first man on corners. Why is it impossible for someone who can nail a wingback on the far flank with a 50 yard arrow not to smack the ball across the box at eight feet off the deck for one of our attackers (or centre backs, as it were) to get a head to?

We have some incredibly weird fans.

No. We have fans who differ in opinion to you. It isn't a world-stopper. Calm the fuck down, eh?

pommpey

Yeah. That's about it, really. You can't counter that, though?

You''re conflating two matters there: 1. My assessment of Norwood's ability (as a footballing layman) and 2. Sheffield United's current position in the PL (which in truth is testimony to a lot of other things, mostly the unquestionable integrity and brilliance of Wilder, Knill and the rest of his squad) If you can tell me why other teams have binned Norwood once they were promoted then I am all ears. I do think we have better options, even in Berge, who is improving.

Didn't say that. I said, I don't think he has recently been performing well.

Don't know. Does he? If so, you'll show me how. Compared to Osborn who does show midfield capability, and Lundstram who has surprised a few this season, I'd say it's debatable. What 'best' has he brought out? Which players? Which games? Prove it.

Y'see, I'd say YOU are being hard on Norwood there. The NUFC game wasn't a 'very' bad game - simply a poor game where he failed to make his presence felt and impose. His passing was pretty shit, to be honest and he didn't make telling passes or stop the Geordie midfield from dominating. But then again, it wasn't uncommon. Villa he was below standard and against MUFC he might as well have not turned up.

He shows for the ball - correct. But from then on in it's not really progressive football. Sure, he can square pass and set Basham off. Sure he can ping it wide. But I want to see him carry, pass, move, receive and become more of the midfield attacking phalanx. Like I have said, I am given to believe he has a wand of a right foot. Why don't we see him take a crack at goal - even from a free kick? We've mentioned his crossing is poor. Why? Why can't he beat the first man on corners. Why is it impossible for someone who can nail a wingback on the far flank with a 50 yard arrow not to smack the ball across the box at eight feet off the deck for one of our attackers (or centre backs, as it were) to get a head to?

No. We have fans who differ in opinion to you. It isn't a world-stopper. Calm the fuck down, eh?

pommpey
You’ve just written an entire essay trying to dissect everything I’ve said to you (very poorly). One of us needs to chill out and it ain’t me.

...and I recommend the ignore button if you don’t like the fact people think you’re spouting bollocks. You can’t play the “differ in opinions” card yet whinge at people disagreeing or calling it bollocks.

Last edited:

" I do think we have better options, even in Berge, who is improving."

is that a true reflection of what you're trying to say?...........It's the 'even" that does it

Also hasn't been dispossessed in any of our recent fixtures going extremely far back. Agreed he has missed a fair number of passes especially away at Newcastle but "dispossessed" is a statistically term that doesn't match with Norwood in any way. Berge has already been marked as his long term replacement as Wilder has even said it himself but the nit picking for Norwood ever since he has arrived at this club is nothing short of disgraceful. No player at the club is put under such microscope to the level of him, it does not make any sense. And to be honest Im starting to get extremely pissed off about it. Most clubs beg for a player of his attributes, consistency and leadership.

You’ve just written an entire essay trying to dissect everything I’ve said to you (very poorly). One of us needs to chill out and it ain’t me.

Not really. I have taken the time to refute first your odd 'saggy bollocks' missive (which was full of non sequitur silliness) and then your emotional outburst full of stuff I simply didn't say.

Look, if you can back up your claims, do so. Just because I am giving a player 5/10 doesn't mean to say I hate him, nor am I calling you a cunt. I simply don't think he contributes half of the fluffy praise some on here bestow. I think he is the weak link in midfield. I think we have better options to go on the attack and (if you read my assessment of the game properly, instead of getting outraged at the 5/10 for Norwood) we lack connectivity to the front two, both of whom have proven that if you find them, they will score. Norwood, with his apparent gifts, should ne picking Sharp and McBurnie out with driven balls into the box, he should be playing to the spaces between the opposition CBs to allow Mousset to use his pace to latch onto. He should also be utilising the very quiet, gifted ability of McGlodrick to create opportunities inside the opposition penalty area. Norwood's job isn't just 'get ball, ping it'. Other CDMs have far more in their arsenal to offer. You possibly need to take off the rose coloureds and look at where our shortcomings are and how we can be even better.

pommpey

From a corner. The first one he has put in from either side since the restart which hit the zone.

And look what happened.

His corners in particular have been piss poor.

pommpey
Didn’t Egan head one over earlier in the game at Burnley?

" I do think we have better options, even in Berge, who is improving."

is that a true reflection of what you're trying to say?...........It's the 'even" that does it

Well, Berge hasn't had the most mercurial of recent games, has he? He has however shown some capability and maybe needs a few games in his chosen position of CDM with Fleck and Lundstram outside of him, Osborn and Freeman L as alternatives. Certainly I'd see more of United moving through the midfield with more fluidity, even attacking the goal from distance. Sharp in particular is hair trigger cocked for a dropped save or a half chance from a deflection or free ball.

pommpey

Didn’t Egan head one over earlier in the game at Burnley?

But - it found a United player, instead of ghosting over their heads, or being cleared by the near post marker

pommpey

Not really. I have taken the time to refute first your odd 'saggy bollocks' missive (which was full of non sequitur silliness) and then your emotional outburst full of stuff I simply didn't say.

Look, if you can back up your claims, do so. Just because I am giving a player 5/10 doesn't mean to say I hate him, nor am I calling you a cunt. I simply don't think he contributes half of the fluffy praise some on here bestow. I think he is the weak link in midfield. I think we have better options to go on the attack and (if you read my assessment of the game properly, instead of getting outraged at the 5/10 for Norwood) we lack connectivity to the front two, both of whom have proven that if you find them, they will score. Norwood, with his apparent gifts, should ne picking Sharp and McBurnie out with driven balls into the box, he should be playing to the spaces between the opposition CBs to allow Mousset to use his pace to latch onto. He should also be utilising the very quiet, gifted ability of McGlodrick to create opportunities inside the opposition penalty area. Norwood's job isn't just 'get ball, ping it'. Other CDMs have far more in their arsenal to offer. You possibly need to take off the rose coloureds and look at where our shortcomings are and how we can be even better.

pommpey
You’ve said he gets dispossessed easily. There is already evidence in the thread that this claim is a load of bollocks. I like that you, in the minority, is asking me for evidence of what else Norwood does other than ‘ping’. This is your mad claim, thus you provide the evidence. There’s plenty on here that suggests you are possibly speaking out your arse.
Simply saying “he should do this”, “he shouldn’t do this” isn’t has absolutely no credibility. You know what is a credible argument? Like I said, we’re sat in a European spot, and Norwood has played a major role in getting us there. As much as you might hate to hear it...

You’ve said he gets dispossessed easily. There is already evidence in the thread that this claim is a load of bollocks.

He does get dispossessed easily. Even if it is 'three times' (think it's more, but I am not likely to watch every minute of footage to demonstrate that) in that when he is pressured, the ball is either given up and he's resorting to half arsed chasing (compare Osborn with how it should be done without fouling) or ending in a panicked pass to an opposition shirt (NUFC was a prime example of this behavior)

I like that you, in the minority, is asking me for evidence of what else Norwood does other than ‘ping’.

What makes you so sure I am in the minority? Have you had some sort of poll? Where's your evidence? Just because some counter my comments (mainly with fair argument and observations) doesn't mean to say I am either in the minority (as you assume) or even wrong. This isn't a 'me and my mates' moment you know.

This is your mad claim, thus you provide the evidence.

I have.

There’s plenty on here that suggests you are possibly speaking out your arse.

'Me and my mates' again. Okay. Deadbat says he had a not much of an inspiring game and gave him six. Beat that, eh?

Simply saying “he should do this”, “he shouldn’t do this” isn’t has absolutely no credibility.

Why not? Tell me, how many assists has Norwood got this season? Do you think we have good connectivity between our midfield and attacking pairing? The stats don't seem to back you up. Fleck has 2 assists, Lundstram 3, our wingbacks three apiece. Norwood has one, this from a bloke with a wand of a right foot. Do you think he should be being more productive, or just smacking the ball across the pitch?

You know what is a credible argument? Like I said, we’re sat in a European spot, and Norwood has played a major role in getting us there. As much as you might hate to hear it...

Norwood has scored one and made one. I'd say there's more players in that team culpable for our position than him, not even mentioning Wilder and Knill.

pommpey

Good job Wilder knows what he’s doing...

With that comment, you might as well shut the forum down completely. We are all footballing laymen and women. We offer 'our take' (see title) It's a forum, where debate happens. When people start getting frothy just because the out of ten disagrees with their own and don't show their working out it stops becoming a forum and stats becoming a predictable shitfest.

Wilder will do what Wilder does and this forum is insignificant to him and the playing staff. I'd be very surprised if anyone near the club knows about it, let alone reads it. I'd be even more surprised if anyone as professional as Oliver Norwood (or anyone else) is bothered by any of the comments, good or bad.

pommpey

he's resorting to half arsed chasing
Im sorry but this is tosh, Surely wilder and his staff wouldn't make someone who is "half arsed" at anything vice-captain and a first team stalwart. And also failing a pass or passing to the opposition is literally not getting dispossessed. Yet again I know its pedantic but some terms have very specific criteria it must meet before it is used to describe someone or something. and to your "just smacking the ball across the pitch" remark the agenda is there to see clearly. I really try to understand others points of views but these laments about a great player for us have reached such a level that Im not even willing to engage with them anymore as honestly there is no changing the mind of people that seek to discredit those who do and continue to do great things for us and our beloved football club.

and to finish off my thoughts here is a wonderful stat about premier league interceptions:
1594337382626.png
But of course silly me defensive midfielders should be focused on matching the output of those in front of them if we go by remarks in this thread.

Last edited:
Im sorry but this is tosh, Surely wilder and his staff wouldn't make someone who is "half arsed" at anything vice-captain and a first team stalwart. And also failing a pass or passing to the opposition is literally not getting dispossessed. Yet again I know its pedantic but some terms have very specific criteria it must meet before it is used to describe someone or something. and to your "just smacking the ball across the pitch" remark the agenda is there to see clearly. I really try to understand others points of views but these laments about a great player for us have reached such a level that Im not even willing to engage with them anymore as honestly there is no changing the mind of people that seek to discredit those who do and continue to do great things for us and our beloved football club.

and to finish off my thoughts here is a wonderful stat about premier league interceptions:
View attachment 85289
But of course silly me defensive midfielders should be focused on matching the output of those in front of them if we go by remarks in this thread.

Okay, try this: 2019-20 season -

N'Golo Kante has has 1733 Premier League minutes (and three goals). Oliver Norwood 2842 Premier League minutes (with one goal).

You'd imagine the one, solitary additional interception would be statistically possible in the remaining 1109 minutes, wouldn't you?

Stats are wonderful, aren't they S40?

pommpey

Okay, try this:

N'Golo Kante has has 1733 Premier League minutes (and three goals). Oliver Norwood 2842 Premier League minutes (with one goal).

You'd imagine the one, solitary additional interception would be statistically possible in the remaining 1109 minutes, wouldn't you?

Stats are wonderful, aren't they S40?

pommpey
Thanks for addressing one single point TY GG WP. The way you talk of Norwood is as if he is a detriment to the very way we play when the opposite has been true for the last two seasons. And if you want to play with more stats go to our section of the prem website and search by midfielders and what ever stats you please you will find one player that tops a large proportion of them. Including passing, interceptions, ground and aerial duels, and blocks. His contribution is vital and compared to many of our players is barely talked about whatsoever.

Last edited:
Thanks for addressing one single point TY GG WP. The way you talk of Norwood is as if he is a detriment to the very way we play when the opposite has been true for the last two seasons.

Yeah - but it's such a 'wonderful stat on Premier League interceptions', isn't it?

Except on scrutiny, it isn't. It doesn't even tell half the story.

pommpey

Yeah - but it's such a 'wonderful stat on Premier League interceptions', isn't it?

Except on scrutiny, it isn't. It doesn't even tell half the story.

pommpey
So does your point on dispossession and him being "half arsed". That doesn't even need scrutiny as it is pure fucking bollocks and you know it.

Back
Top Bottom