My take

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

So does your point on dispossession.

Mine's an opinion, not a stat. Let's not shift the topic, eh? You've come at me floridly with a 'wonderful statistic' which in fact wasn't quite so wonderful. I'm sure you'd agree, in what - eleven extra matches on time alone - Norwood has played than Kante he'd get his foot to the ball more than once to better Kante's total. Let alone hit the net more than once to better Kante's goal tally?

Stats, eh?

pommpey

Let's not shift the topic, eh? You've come at me floridly with a 'wonderful statistic' which in fact wasn't quite so wonderful. I'm sure you'd agree, in what - eleven extra matches - Norwood has played than Kante he'd get his foot to the ball more than once to better Kante's total. Let alone hit the net more than once to better Kante's goal tally?

Stats, eh?

pommpey
Yeah how awful is that stat being amongst the very elite in the league in the defensive midfield position how dare I try and give credit to a player that is plastered with blatant lies which results in me being accused by other posters of doing exactly what they are doing in shifting topics. If you want your points to mean anything take into consideration your initial topics or comments on Norwood being "easily dispossessed" and "half arsed" and just smacking the ball about and admit that they are well off the mark. Only then can we have a real interesting and constructive discussion on our midfield and general style of play.

Admitting errors, eh?

Last edited:
yeah how awful is that stat being amongst the very elite in the league in the defensive midfield position how dare I try and give credit to a player that is plastered with blatant lies and being accused by other posters of doing exactly what they are doing in shifting topics.

You're incoherent and rattled now S40. I'm waiting for the abuse, next.

Just stop, eh? I have criticised a football player whose life and existence is completely unaffected by that critique. My words about and to him are inconsequential. To you however, they are kryptonite and have you coming out with all sorts of gibberish you think stand up as fact. Once again, I am not forcing his kids into slavery or calling your mum a cunt. This is 'my opinion' on a football player's performance.

pommpey

ps: try to stay off the 'wonderful stats' for now, eh?

pps: noted your edits and additions.

You're incoherent and rattled now S40. I'm waiting for the abuse, next.

Just stop, eh? I have criticised a football player whose life and existence is completely unaffected by that critique. My words about and to him are inconsequential. To you however, they are kryptonite and have you coming out with all sorts of gibberish you think stand up as fact. Once again, I am not forcing his kids into slavery or calling your mum a cunt. This is 'my opinion' on a football player's performance.

pommpey

ps: try to stay off the 'wonderful stats' for now, eh?

Im not what you want me to be. Im fine and will never question someones right in sharing their opinion but those opinions need to be held to task and discussed if they are flat out wrong.

UTB

Im not what you want me to be. Im fine and will never question someones right in sharing their opinion but those opinions need to be held to task and discussed if they are flat out wrong.

UTB

What? y'mean like your 'wonderful statistic'? In that same posting, you were coming across all high handed and clever about:

I know its pedantic but some terms have very specific criteria it must meet before it is used to describe someone or something.

Yet pedantry doesn't seem to matter when the true meaning of 'wonderful statistic' is brought to bear, nor specific criteria, like how many minutes versus interceptions. If anything, Kante's interception rate v Norwood's is fucking outstanding, and if you watch how he plays, he is difficult to get the ball off, moves forward well, is aggressive, committed and tidy with his play considering his diminutive stature and has scored two more goals than our mercurial maestro.

But that's just me being 'pedantic', isn't it? Don't let me go looking for stats on Man City, Liverpool, or Man United's midfielders, eh?

pommpey

What? y'mean like your 'wonderful statistic'? In that same posting, you were coming across all high handed and clever about:

Yet pedantry doesn't seem to matter when the true meaning of 'wonderful statistic' is brought to bear, nor specific criteria, like how many minutes versus interceptions. If anything, Kante's interception rate v Norwood's is fucking outstanding, and if you watch how he plays, he is difficult to get the ball off, moves forward well, is aggressive, committed and tidy with his play considering his diminutive stature and has scored two more goals than our mercurial maestro.

But that's just me being 'pedantic', isn't it? Don't let me go looking for stats on Man City, Liverpool, or Man United's midfielders, eh?

pommpey
Okay, if this is the topic we talk about I admit that Norwood is in no way a better all round player than Kante I should've been more clear and picked players like Moutinho and Neves who are only 2-3 three interceptions ahead of him and have played very similar amounts of time. But lets not make out that Norwood is not one of the very best in his role in the premier league this season. He wont be starring for much longer before Sander replaces him so lets just enjoy it.

Okay. What is it that I have said about Norwood that is flat out wrong. I'm not baiting here i'm genuinely curious in what i'm getting wrong.
It wasn't a point about Norwood, I think he's integral for us.

Think you misread my edit, I'm saying it's your opinion rather than fact that his opinions are flat out wrong.

Anyone who’s watched us regularly on the last 4 years knows that Chris Wilder’s United KEEP possession and work the ball into the optimum place to have a shot. It started with Coutts spreading it round in LG 1 and Norwood has taken that mantle.
To suggest we should be more willing to risk losing possession in order to pump quick balls up the pitch belies everything CW has had United doing since he came in, and is also PL suicide.

Anyone who’s watched us regularly on the last 4 years knows that Chris Wilder’s United KEEP possession and work the ball into the optimum place to have a shot. It started with Coutts spreading it round in LG 1 and Norwood has taken that mantle.
To suggest we should be more willing to risk losing possession in order to pump quick balls up the pitch belies everything CW has had United doing since he came in, and is also PL suicide.

Not suggesting we 'pump quick balls up the pitch'. We already do that, but into the channels for the front two to come out of position to chase. This creates nothing and Billy out of the box is wasteful.

I watch Osborn and he seems to want to play through the midfield and advance the team centrally. With Norwood sitting so deep at times and the outlying CB/WB options marked we don't have a ball carrier to get at least into the final third. The opposite side can be covered behind by that sides MF and WB in case of a reversal of possession and a counter. I also think yeah, why not play the ball forward, find the front two, hit the zone from distance. Everton did it superbly against Southampton yesterday and Norwood, if he has that skill (and he definitely has) can do that. Billy, Didsy and McB are highly adept at getting away and inbetween central defenders to create that space, and as I say, they can hit the target.

pommpey

Not saying I agree with everything but do appreciate you taking the time to write well thought out analysis. The alternative is Facebook style mCbeRniE sHit what's he dun?! style posts which make me want to cry because they're so stupid.

The only negative to reading this thread is the personal insults. We're all blades here, could we just stick to the football? Maybe we could instigate a Reddit style upvote/downvote system (or a like/dislike button). If you don't like something you downvote and move on, no need to engage with the author.

this forum is insignificant to him and the playing staff. I'd be very surprised if anyone near the club knows about it, let alone reads it.
Do you really think that young men in their twenties with a great deal of spare time have no interest whatsoever in what others are saying about them?
Foxy has said numerous times that many people at the club read this forum.

Do you really think that young men in their twenties with a great deal of spare time have no interest whatsoever in what others are saying about them?

No, pommpey doesn't. If they did, pommpey would credit the likes of Norwood in his professional manner to look at his comments and take them with a smile and a pinch of salt rather than anything meaningful regarding his game. There are far more harmful and injurous missives yelled from all four corners of a football ground during the match than than what pommpey would write on some nondescript forum from the standpoint of an observer.

pommpey

Hope you've applied plenty of factor 50 sunblock, three days in the spotlight can't be good for your skin.

Hope you've applied plenty of factor 50 sunblock, three days in the spotlight can't be good for your skin.

It's not me in the spotlight 1066. It's Norwood, seemingly.

pommpey

Exactly so. Very well said.

But who cares, right? “I can say wot i want, and bollox the consequences or impact”.

”Because I can. Because it’s social media. And because I want to”.

Last edited:
Exactly so. Very well said.

But who cares, right? “I can say wot i want, and bollox the consequences or impact”.

”Because I can. Because it’s social media. And because I want to”.

So, do you make shouting comments at players from the terraces a sanctionable offence? If you're out on the pitch, kicking the ball around for a football team, the chants. comments and boos from fans are inescapable. They are also far, far more deep-cutting than observations on playing style and input by some no-mark footballing layman in some dark corner of the internet where you aren't actually forced to investigate. Just because Bert says that Foxy says that 'staff at the club' (who, exactly?) read this place doesn't mean to say that it has any effect on their playing output. Frankly, if I were Norwood reading my comments I'd shrug and laugh. He is on a fuckload of cash and a professional football player. I am not. What do I - or any of us in fact - know what he knows?

If ever Norwood gave an interview that what he'd read some bloke on S24SU said had caused a collapse in his footballing ability, I think my respect for him would sink. Like I say, ninety minutes in front of 30k fans - where you can practically hear every comment from the first ten rows quite clearly would psychologically harm you a lot more.

pommpey

So, do you make shouting comments at players from the terraces a sanctionable offence? If you're out on the pitch, kicking the ball around for a football team, the chants. comments and boos from fans are inescapable. They are also far, far more deep-cutting than observations on playing style and input by some no-mark footballing layman in some dark corner of the internet where you aren't actually forced to investigate. Just because Bert says that Foxy says that 'staff at the club' (who, exactly?) read this place doesn't mean to say that it has any effect on their playing output. Frankly, if I were Norwood reading my comments I'd shrug and laugh. He is on a fuckload of cash and a professional football player. I am not. What do I - or any of us in fact - know what he knows?

If ever Norwood gave an interview that what he'd read some bloke on S24SU said had caused a collapse in his footballing ability, I think my respect for him would sink. Like I say, ninety minutes in front of 30k fans - where you can practically hear every comment from the first ten rows quite clearly would psychologically harm you a lot more.

pommpey

Good lord you are tedious. I though WWF was bad but this is next level.

Eh?

Back
Top Bottom