My first competitive Sheffield derby

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Silent Blade

Reaction score
Have missed only two (both in 1980) competitive Sheffield derby since then

Eddie Colquhoun heads in Woody's free kick 1-0

thumbnail_photo (4).jpg

Billy Dearden heads in a Woody corner 2-0

thumbnail_photo (5).jpg

Either Tommy Craig or Eddie Colquhoun own goal 2-1

index.php

Jackie Sinclair 2-2

index.php

John Tudor comes on as sub replacing Gil Reece and scored the winner with a scuffed shot that went through Peter Grummitt's legs

index.php

John celebrating his winner with lifelong Blade Len Badger

thumbnail_photo (3).jpg

Last edited:

This one for me...

This was my first derby as a 9yr old,the thing I remember most about that day,was walking down Shrewsbury Road to bdtbl and as we got to the roundabout at the bottom,about 50 aside on the roundabout brawling,traffic had stopped no police anywhere and it seemed to go on for ages,just thought some ones going to die....lol... loads of blokes covered in blood,and still going at it.

In response to the OP don't ask, for any Blade you couldn't ask for a worse one :(

It still amazes me that nobody put in a tackle on Curran near the corner flag in the lead-up to the equaliser. Ball-watching or what.

Kenworthy had marked him out of the game, the only time he got away from him was when the piggy c**t drifted over to the left wing, well away from TK's position at left centre half.

Eddie Colquhoun heads in Woody's free kick 1-0

View attachment 30968

Billy Dearden heads in a Woody corner 2-0

View attachment 30969

Either Tommy Craig or Eddie Colquhoun own goal 2-1

index.php

Jackie Sinclair 2-2

index.php

John Tudor comes on as sub replacing Gil Reece and scored the winner with a scuffed shot that went through Peter Grummitt's legs

index.php

John celebrating his winner with lifelong Blade Len Badger

View attachment 30964
Mine was Boxing Day 79 , I had to wait 12 long years to see our first win over the Oinks .. boy oh boy did I celebrate & give it to all pigs I know big time after we dicked the heavily touted & over hyped favourites 2-0 at our place .... little did I know I was to be given a better present in March that season courtesy of Sir Bobby Davison

Mine was Boxing Day 79 , I had to wait 12 long years to see our first win over the Oinks .. boy oh boy did I celebrate & give it to all pigs I know big time after we dicked the heavily touted & over hyped favourites 2-0 at our place .... little did I know I was to be given a better present in March that season courtesy of Sir Bobby Davison
Same
Same
And the FUCKING same, Bobby lad :)

A 1-1 draw on 16th December 2000.

Bobby Ford scored ours, Ian Hendon scored theirs. Fuck all else happened really. Although for some reason I remember thinking that Steve Harkness was a bit of a bell end.

Been to a few

1st was Boxing Day 79, stood right at the back of Wednesdays Kop, hardly saw a thing as I was only 13.
Went to the Easter return 1980, stood near the front of United Kop just behind the goal.
Went to the County Cup final at Hillsboro 1980, stood on Leppings Lane end bottom tier, Sabellas last match and we won.
Went to the 2-0 home match in 92, had a season ticket in the John St seats behind the terracing.
Went to the 3-1 away Bobby Davison night in 93 at Hillsboro, stood on the uncovered corner bit on the away end. Emotional night because we definitely deserved the 3-1 win that night. Finally managed to exorcise the Boxing Day torment.
Went to the 1-1 home match in 94, I worked as a steward on the away end that season.

The other matches are a bit of a blur
Been to every Steel City Derby home game this century.
Remember 1 night game where we were 3-0 up at half time and playing brilliantly, really thought we could win 5 or 6-0
But we took our foot off the pedal and I think they game back with the match ending 3-2.

Don't bother with Steel City away games these days, mainly because I can't get a ticket and it's not worth the hassle.
Last game I went to at Hillsboro was the D'Jaffo game, think we won 2-1. I was in the middle on Wednesdays Kop near the back.

Also been to all the beam backs shown at Bramall Lane and a few pre season friendlies (Steel City cup) etc. It's a real shame the grounds don't hold over 50,000 then we could take 15 to 20,000 like we used to do in the old days.

Last edited:

I was at the one which Silent cites at the top. On the BLLT as well surrounded by pigfans.

Saw Woody's testimonial - think that was us v them as well, wasn't it?

Couple of CC and SCDs as well.

I was sat in the After Section Base, in Defence Watches on Exercise Northern Hammer on HMS Newcastle for the 1-3 Bobby Davison special. A comms rating came by and told me about 2230. "You're a Blades fan, aren't you?" I was fearing the worse. "They beat Wednesday 3-1." I had to get him to go and print the teletext scores for me to believe him. I was fucking overjoyed.

Nothing beats Browny's goal though. Wish I'd have been in BDTBL that night.

****** WARNING - CIVILISATION ABOUT TO END ********

I think I may have spotted the first ever Silent Blade error.

One was 1979 (Boxing Day) and other 1980. They went up that season, so no derbies in 80/81.

First derby game I saw us beat the pigs at Bramall Lane in the County Cup, think it was 2:0 in front of a very small crowd.
First league match 1979 at the sty.
Not done many since, and usually at Bramall Lane, took my lad to his first Sheffield derby when we smashed em 3:1 with a cracking goal from Brown, and later bought my lad one of the prints of that goal.

Zenith Data Cup, lost 2-1 after ET.

First was a Centenary Match in 1989, 0-0 and Palmer was sent off for stamping on OOoohhhhhh AAaaahhhhhhhhhh.

First in the League was the 2-0 win at the Lane, Nov 1991.

Zenith Data Cup, lost 2-1 after ET.

First was a Centenary Match in 1989, 0-0 and Palmer was sent off for stamping on OOoohhhhhh AAaaahhhhhhhhhh.

First in the League was the 2-0 win at the Lane, Nov 1991.

Zenith cup was my first too although didn't we lose 2-3? Remember Bob Booker equalising in the last few minutes and Sheridan got the winner in ET.

Back
Top Bottom