More Memries of Norwich

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

grafikhaus

Kraft durch Freude
Reaction score
Next Saturday is only the fourth meeting between The Blades and The Canaries since January 2011. As recently as the 2013-14 season, Norwich were in the Premier League but were relegated. Just one season back in the Championship (2014-15) saw Norwich promoted back to the Premiership via the play-offs, where they lasted just one season and are now back in the Championship.

The last time the teams met, The Blades triumphed 2-1 at Bramall Lane on 18th August 2018 with our goals coming from Egan and Sharp.

I'm sure Blades of a certain vintage will remember Feb. 18, 1989. The Blades were in Division 3 and would be promoted at the end of that season. Dave Bassett had guided us to the 5th round of the FA Cup and we faced Norwich from the top flight at Carrow Road. Around 5,000 Blades made their way to East Anglia using any means of transport (including, according to legend a furniture van). 1-1 at half-time with a goal from Deano, an heroic display saw a goal from Agana before we unluckily lost 3-2.

11th May 1991, the last game of the season and the kop roof had been removed prior to making it all-seater. It seemed that everybody wanted to be on the kop that day and the laughable official attendance of 21,019 surely only counted those on the kop.

upload_2019-1-22_6-54-44.png

23rd April 1994 and although hovering near the foot of the PL table, United finally found some form and lost only 2 games out of the last 13 - beating Liverpool, Newcastle and West Ham in this run. A trip to Carrow Road with just four games left saw Nathan Blake score the only goal in a fine 1-0 win. The sell-out Blades contingent roared "And now you're gonna believe us, the Blades are staying up!" and the Norwich fans applauded us.
Unfortunately, just 14 days later, a 3-2 loss at Chelsea (and an unbelievable sequence of events in other games) saw the Blades relegated from the PL.

To date, our League results against Norwich read:

Home: P: 32 W: 17 D: 6 L: 9 F: 45 A: 32

Away: P: 31 W: 6 D: 9 L: 16 F: 33 A: 51

The first time the clubs met since 2011 ended with a controversial 0-1 home defeat on September 16, 2017 in front of a 26,218 crowd. Controversial because the Norwich ‘tactics’ that day comprised of barely-concealed timewasting. From their goalie missing no opportunity to delay re-starts, feign injury etc. to the Canaries deliberately coming out late for the second half, Norwich proved cheats can prosper. This game also saw an increasingly-exasperated Chris Wilder attempt to boot the ball back into play. The ball had got wedged between two bags in the technical area and Chris ‘accidently’ booted the contents of these bags – drinks bottles etc. – all over the place. Typically, the referee who had indulged the cheating by Norwich sent Chris to the stand – about three rows behind the United dug-out!

upload_2019-1-22_6-55-21.png

Continued>>> (Gimme a couple of minutes - only five bits of media allowed...)

A more balanced view of the game is here:

On December 8th, 2007 we lost 0-1 at Carrow Road, a match only remembered for an incredible series of misses by the Blades, the final – and worst – came from our number 6 (Chris Armstrong).

On 22nd March 1986 in a second-tier match, The Blades lost 2-5 at home. Worth watching for the old kop (if nothing else). Crowd? 11,894 (!):

On 28th February 1959 The Blades and Norwich drew 1-1 at Bramall Lane in the Quarter Final of the FA Cup. A crowd of 56,495 saw Russell put the Blades 1-0 up at half-time before Norwich equalised.

A few days later (4th March) saw United lose 2-3 the replay at Carrow Road despite goals from Pace and Summers.

Continued>>>

Recent-ish meetings:

upload_2019-1-22_7-9-31.png

Full list

League Table:

Our defeat at Swansea and West Brom’s win at Bolton on Monday night saw us slide from second to fourth place. There’s still a healthy six (seven with our far better GD) gap to seventh, but it’s vital that our ‘blip’ comes to a quick end.

upload_2019-1-22_7-10-5.png
Full League Table

Form Guide:

Surprisingly, Norwich are only eleventh in the form guide (based on the last six league games) with just nine points from a possible 18. Their home form shows a return of 13 from the last eighteen points.

upload_2019-1-22_7-10-34.png

Full Championship Form Guide.

Norwich Top Scorers:

upload_2019-1-22_7-11-4.png
One-time Finland international Teemu Pukki is by far Norwich’s top scorers, with Jordan Rhodes (on loan from Wednesday) and Mario Vrancic far behind. Both Pukki and Vrancic scored in Norwich’s last fixture – a 3-1 home win over Birmingham City on Friday 18th January.

Continued>>>

upload_2019-1-22_7-11-43.png
The Manager:

upload_2019-1-22_7-12-47.png
Daniel Farke became Norwich manager on 25th May, 2017 having previously being in charge of Borussia Dortmund II, the reserve side of German club Borussia Dortmund. This is proving to be a popular route into English football management with ex-Huddersfield Town boss David Wagner and their new manager – Jan Siewert – both having ‘graduated’ from Borussia Dortmund II.

Farke completed his inaugural season in the Championship (2017-18) winning 15 games, drawing 15, and losing 16 - finishing 14th in the league table. So far, his league record at Norwich is:

P: 85 W: 36 D: 25 L: 24 Win %: 42.4

Anyone else?

Recently rumoured to be a Blades target, Norwich paid £4m to buy Yanic Wildschut from Wigan in January 2017. Poor form led to an unsuccessful loan spell at Bolton which almost certainly ended when Wildschut damaged ankle ligaments in Bolton’s FA Cup win against Walsall earlier this month. The player will undergo surgery on Tuesday 22nd Jan. and is set to miss ‘up to three months’.

That's all, folks! (My 10,000th message!)

Recent-ish meetings:

View attachment 48477

Full list

League Table:

Our defeat at Swansea and West Brom’s win at Bolton on Monday night saw us slide from second to fourth place. There’s still a healthy six (seven with our far better GD) gap to seventh, but it’s vital that our ‘blip’ comes to a quick end.

View attachment 48478
Full League Table

Form Guide:

Surprisingly, Norwich are only eleventh in the form guide (based on the last six league games) with just nine points from a possible 18. Their home form shows a return of 13 from the last eighteen points.

View attachment 48479

Full Championship Form Guide.

Norwich Top Scorers:

One-time Finland international Teemu Pukki is by far Norwich’s top scorers, with Jordan Rhodes (on loan from Wednesday) and Mario Vrancic far behind. Both Pukki and Vrancic scored in Norwich’s last fixture – a 3-1 home win over Birmingham City on Friday 18th January.

Continued>>>
Number 6 was David Holdsworth, not Chris Armstrong.

I'm sure you love it when people pick out 1 piece of info in something that's great and took you ages to prepare :D

Never been lucky in Norwich. :(

We've gone 17 meetings without a draw against Norwich: last time the points were shared was March 2001 (United 1 (Roberts OG) Norwich 1). They've had the better of those 17 meetings, we've won 7 to their 10.

“It seemed that everybody wanted to be on the kop that day and the laughable official attendance of 21,019 surely only counted those on the kop.”

Some of the attendance figures that were given out back in the days when you could pay on the gate were ridiculous.The gate men must have been trousering a fortune.

Number 6 was David Holdsworth, not Chris Armstrong.

I'm sure you love it when people pick out 1 piece of info in something that's great and took you ages to prepare :D

Not so fast! That game (8/12/2007) had our No. 6 as Chris Armstrong according the The Bible (Denis Clarebrough - The Complete Record - Page 505) and this site:

upload_2019-1-22_9-18-43.png
As you'll see, the only goal was scored by Ched Evans. David Holdsworth played for us from October 1996 to March 1999.

To quote 'Line of Duty' - 'If you're gonna take a shot at the king, make sure you kill him.' :D

Not so fast! That game (8/12/2007) had our No. 6 as Chris Armstrong according the The Bible (Denis Clarebrough - The Complete Record - Page 505) and this site:

View attachment 48486
As you'll see, the only goal was scored by Ched Evans. David Holdsworth played for us from October 1996 to March 1999.

To quote 'Line of Duty' - 'If you're gonna take a shot at the king, make sure you kill him.' :D
I’ll get back in my box :D

Some of the attendance figures that were given out back in the days when you could pay on the gate were ridiculous.The gate men must have been trousering a fortune.

Not just the blokes with flat coats and long coats. VAT was 17.5% of the gate money. If the club underdeclared the gate money they paid less VAT. We had some laughable declared attendances in the 80s and early 90s.

index.php

Another Green W for SUFC will give that stat table balance.

View attachment 48486

The game with the miss is from 1996/97 - can see Katchouro, Walker, White, Holdsworth etc

View attachment 48481
The Manager:

Daniel Farke became Norwich manager on 25th May, 2017 having previously being in charge of Borussia Dortmund II, the reserve side of German club Borussia Dortmund. This is proving to be a popular route into English football management with ex-Huddersfield Town boss David Wagner and their new manager – Jan Siewert – both having ‘graduated’ from Borussia Dortmund II.

Farke completed his inaugural season in the Championship (2017-18) winning 15 games, drawing 15, and losing 16 - finishing 14th in the league table. So far, his league record at Norwich is:

P: 85 W: 36 D: 25 L: 24 Win %: 42.4

Anyone else?

Recently rumoured to be a Blades target, Norwich paid £4m to buy Yanic Wildschut from Wigan in January 2017. Poor form led to an unsuccessful loan spell at Bolton which almost certainly ended when Wildschut damaged ankle ligaments in Bolton’s FA Cup win against Walsall earlier this month. The player will undergo surgery on Tuesday 22nd Jan. and is set to miss ‘up to three months’.

That's all, folks! (My 10,000th message!)

"...That's all, folks! (My 10,000th message!)..."

Well done mate, will buy you a drink next time I see you (although we don't often frequent your Sunday afternoon place of drinking)

View attachment 48486

Wasn’t that The Wire?

I went down there in 1985 we lost 0-4 and I think Steve Bruce scored for them,also the 2-3 game cup defeat when Deane and Agana scored around 1989.

View attachment 48486

The series of misses incident was from the FA Cup 3rd round match in January 1997 (not 2007). I was sat with my Norwich mate behind that goal. Holdsworth was deffo number 6 and Katchouro missed the last chance

The best one for me must be 03 April 1976?. We had a bad season had just been relegated after loosing 1-5 to Spurs and we had the least amout of points ever, and had not won an away game. We won 3-1 If I recall rightly and then a great night night in Yarmouth.

The best one for me must be 03 April 1976?. We had a bad season had just been relegated after loosing 1-5 to Spurs and we had the least amout of points ever, and had not won an away game. We won 3-1 If I recall rightly and then a great night night in Yarmouth.
Simon stainrods day!!

Simon stainrods day!!

Correct! I was at the Spurs game. The next season in the second tier, we played away at Hereford (who would finish the season rock-bottom) on 23rd March 1977. I went down on the coach with a mate (Shred was on our bus), we drew the match 2-2 (Edwards, 2) and after the match, me and my mate got quite pissed in a few Hereford boozers. So pissed we missed the coach back! We went back to the ground and the team bus hadn't yet left, so we collared the manager (Jimmy Sirrel) and asked for a lift back with the team. Probably thinking 'Aye, these wee laddies have come all this way' or - more likely - 'they must be fucking mad coming all this way for a Wednesday evening match' he agreed but told us to 'keep away from the players'. Some chance! They were more interested in us!

Anyway - and probably more appropriate in the Gambling on the bus thread - a card school started among the players. Stainrod was a good-looking, flash git and started taking the piss out of our goalie, Jim Brown. Brown, having the mellow temperament of most Scots..., got so wound up he took one of his shoes off and threatened to 'fucking brain' Stainrod.

Back at the ground, Mr. Sirrel drove us both home. Got in about 3.00 am.

A more balanced view of the game is here:

On December 8th, 2007 we lost 0-1 at Carrow Road, a match only remembered for an incredible series of misses by the Blades, the final – and worst – came from our number 6 (Chris Armstrong).

On 22nd March 1986 in a second-tier match, The Blades lost 2-5 at home. Worth watching for the old kop (if nothing else). Crowd? 11,894 (!):

On 28th February 1959 The Blades and Norwich drew 1-1 at Bramall Lane in the Quarter Final of the FA Cup. A crowd of 56,495 saw Russell put the Blades 1-0 up at half-time before Norwich equalised.

A few days later (4th March) saw United lose 2-3 the replay at Carrow Road despite goals from Pace and Summers.

Continued>>>

I remember listening to that replay at our Youth Club. ‘O’ to be sixteen again.

It's my 'convention' - our score first, opponents second.

Anyway, one for Silent Blade (and others). How many players have played for both Norwich and United? I've racked what's left of my brain and could only come up with Ched, Bill Punton and Jim Bone.

Carl Bradshaw
Simon Tracey
Alex Notman
Graham Benstead
Ade Akinbiyi

It's my 'convention' - our score first, opponents second.

Anyway, one for Silent Blade (and others). How many players have played for both Norwich and United? I've racked what's left of my brain and could only come up with Ched, Bill Punton and Jim Bone.

Carl Bradshaw
Simon Tracey
Alex Notman
Graham Benstead
Ade Akinbiyi

Albert Sturgess
Ken Mallender
Trevor Hockey
Martin Peters
Roger Hansbury
Steve Bruce
Rob Ullathorne

Back
Top Bottom