Missed Seeing a Goal?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Loads if you include late arrivals, including all three against us v Southend in THAT game, and arriving 18 minutes late v Shrewsbury in THAT OTHER game to see Blades streaming out as we were already 3-1 down. When I'd last checked my phone running up from the station we were winning 1-0.

Chesterfield away under Madkins when I forgot it was a 1pm kick off. I was nice and relaxed as I got off the Megabus at Meadowhall, less so as I ascended the escalators to hear my phone notifying me we were a goal to the good. After a mad dash I got there 55 minutes in to find us now 2-0 up.

Many, many more thanks to late arrivals, but only two having already got in the ground. Pesky's shockingly offside goal v Palace came just as I'd decided the game was going to Extra Time so I'd better go for a piss. And then Colchester away when we were a goal down so I announced that I was off for a piss "to get us a goal", at which point Colchester scored a second. I arrived back just in time to see us score three in six minutes to win 3-2.

I missed Bashs goal against Leeds when I was having a piss! Luckily I was in the pub so could see a replay.

Also against forest I was pissing again when that fella got a red card.

In the famous 4-2 victory over the swines of s6, I was having a piss when Duffy scored!

Don't worry, I'm gonna spend the whole premier league season in the bog.

Someone scoring our first against Tranmere (I think) in 94/95 - the 82 from Banner Cross hadn't turned up when it should have.

Alan Quinn in the Sheffield Derby - no, not the one he scored for us, the one he scored for Wendy in the 3-1 win, was suppng the last of my HT ale...

At the semi final against Hull the old man sitting next to me managed to be away, presumably at the toilet, for all three or our goals. When he returned after the third he received no sympathy, just a firm instruction to f**k off back there.

Beginning of the 91/92 season away to Norwich. Horrendous holiday traffic in August saw us finally enter the ground at nearly ten past 3. Unfortunately as we sprinted round to the away end Deano put us 1-0 up.
I had a mate in the 90s who would regularly go for a piss during the game and missed numerous goals. The spooky thing was that everyone he missed was scored by Dane Whitehouse. Must have been at least 6 or 7

September 1973. Night match at home to Arsenal.

I'd arranged a driving lesson with Jack Clare's School of Motoring (Drive with Care Learn with Clare - Sattchi & Sattchi must have been involved with that one)

Lesson clashed with the match. Got dropped off at Cherry Street / Shoreham Street corner. Kop was in full voice. I'd missed the first two goals.

We won 5-0 and although I'd missed 2 goals it was worth it to see TC sitting on the ball.

Only happened to me once but missed 2 goals.

Went for a piss and we scored two goals in a minute vs Portsmouth at home in about 1984.

It was doubly memorable for me because as a 10 year old the other blokes in the bog had clearly had a lot more beer and I’d never seen an adult in a complete tangle at the pisser before. We’d all arrived and started together and United scored as the flow started. No problem - we’re all happy. A minute later I’m zipped up and ready to get on my way and the tell tale signs that we’re homing in on goal start to filter down to the depths of the old John Street stand - sounds of discomfort and some splashing.

As I leave the roar goes up and I leave behind me a couple of adults, a lot of disappointment and more “fucks” than I’ve heard in one sentence ever. Gutted I missed what I think was a Morris and a Cockerill goal, but as a 10 year old serving an early apprenticeship in swearing and the way of men it was a valuable formative experience.

I’ve had the odd occasion to use the phrase “Shit, Bastard, Knobhead, Wanker” since - I’d like to think I managed to give it the same gravitas and emphasis that I heard then.

It has only happened twice to Bert in something like 1,000 matches.

At Wembley v Hull,
Bert went to the bar to replenish his stock of red wine (£5, small bottle of donkey piss) when he met some Swedish Blades so he bought them all a drink and missed our first goal.
He assumed it was Hull who'd scored so he walked back up the steps to be greeted with the sight of 35,000 Unitedites going bonkers. Grrr.

1968 at Hillsborough, he went to see Jimmy Greaves, went for a piss and missed his bloody goal.

No doubt others have had similar tragic experiences.

Had a conversation with Gary Newbon a few weeks ago (work) and he told me he was on his way to see Jimmy Greaves, after he had asked him to visit, as he's very ill. Doesn't sound too good for one of our country's most talented players

Not really tragic, but the only goal I've missed was the 4th for Scunthorpe when we got tonked 4-0 at home.

Had a conversation with Gary Newbon a few weeks ago (work) and he told me he was on his way to see Jimmy Greaves, after he had asked him to visit, as he's very ill. Doesn't sound too good for one of our country's most talented players
It's an absolute crime that he's never been given a single honour when you consider all the other clowns who haven't done a fraction of what he did, being handed out knighthoods and awards.
Sir Dave Richards anyone?

It's an absolute crime that he's never been given a single honour when you consider all the other clowns who haven't done a fraction of what he did, being handed out knighthoods and awards.
Sir Dave Richards anyone?

There's a new biography of Greaves out, Bert. It's by David Tossell who has written a number of good sports books. Worth checking out.

Greaves has always been under appreciated. Pure goalscorers often are. People forget what the point of the game is.

I went to see us away at Fulham for the Fulham Monty.

We got hammered 4-0 and I was so pissed from the 3 hour booze up on the boat and the euphoria of seeing Bob Booker up close, I don't recall any of the goals!

I also remember while during my University days in Paris, drinking some cheap plonk in a Park with friends. I went to the cinema after with a few and felt queesy during the opening credits. I went to the gents and by the time I'd finished being ill, I came out, the cinema was empty and the end credits were rolling! To this day I've never seen Emma starting Ewan McGregor and Gwyneth Paltrow to preserve that memory!

Nothing to do with United that last bit, but sharing is caring and all that :)

Though during the same period I was studying in Reims, Champagne-Ardenne, at the time United first started getting a presence on the net and so that is where 'Champagneblade' originated.

Last edited:

In 1989-90 I used to go to games with a mate who insisted on arriving at the Lane before 2.30pm but then always left with 10 minutes to go to "beat the traffic". this behaviour caused him to miss the following:

Rotherham's equaliser in the 1-1 draw in the League Cup
United's 4th and 5th goals in the 5-4 win over Brighton
Oldham's consolation goal in our 2-1 win over them
Bradford's equaliser in our 1-1 draw with them
Billy Whitehurst's goal in the 3-0 win over Wolves
Sunderland's last goal in their 3-1 win
Steve Agnew's late winner for Barnsley in their 2-1 win
The 4th goal in our 4-1 win over Watford
Deano's winner against Port Vale

I will never, ever understand why people leave games early.

Toilet, what's all this toilet business?
They are called bogs at football grounds.

I thought they were where the cool kids go to do lines of white powder, they don't even need flushes anymore.

In 1989-90 I used to go to games with a mate who insisted on arriving at the Lane before 2.30pm but then always left with 10 minutes to go to "beat the traffic". this behaviour caused him to miss the following:

Rotherham's equaliser in the 1-1 draw in the League Cup
United's 4th and 5th goals in the 5-4 win over Brighton
Oldham's consolation goal in our 2-1 win over them
Bradford's equaliser in our 1-1 draw with them
Billy Whitehurst's goal in the 3-0 win over Wolves
Sunderland's last goal in their 3-1 win
Steve Agnew's late winner for Barnsley in their 2-1 win
The 4th goal in our 4-1 win over Watford
Deano's winner against Port Vale

I will never, ever understand why people leave games early.
Does he leave 10 mins before the end of the film at the cinema to beat the traffic?

Never understood that either, leaving the match early!

Blades vs Cardiff City back in 03' I think. We were 4-3 up and I left to catch the train, walking down Shoreham St to hear us cheering again, Ndlovu scored a penalty to make it 5-3.

Missed Evans’s volley against Bristol as I stupidly miss judged the time and ordered another pint. Walking past London Road Pharmacy when it went in.

I went to see us away at Fulham for the Fulham Monty.

We got hammered 4-0 and I was so pissed from the 3 hour booze up on the boat and the euphoria of seeing Bob Booker up close, I don't recall any of the goals!

I also remember while during my University days in Paris, drinking some cheap plonk in a Park with friends. I went to the cinema after with a few and felt queesy during the opening credits. I went to the gents and by the time I'd finished being ill, I came out, the cinema was empty and the end credits were rolling! To this day I've never seen Emma starting Ewan McGregor and Gwyneth Paltrow to preserve that memory!

Nothing to do with United that last bit, but sharing is caring and all that :)

Though during the same period I was studying in Reims, Champagne-Ardenne, at the time United first started getting a presence on the net and so that is where 'Champagneblade' originated.
Strangely I too can not recall any of the goals at Fulham.

I was probably too annoyed at having my brolly confiscated as I was entering the ground, in case I ran amok amongst the Blades with it.

I'm sure my lack of recall will have had nothing to do with alcohol on a boat though, I was a seasoned drinker even back then.

Plenty. We scored 8 away goals in the PL. I saw 1 and missed another. Missed the 1 at Wigan because I dropped the bandit in the boozer before game and got round in at half-time (I don't buy rounds any more).

Another notable was Monty at Tranmere.

Why? At the bar.
Billy at home to Leeds... Late out the pub.

There's a theme...

Missed Che Adam's 2nd goal against Tottenham in the cup.

Saw him score our first goal, decided now would be a good time to go for a piss so i didn't miss any of the last 10 minutes of the match or any of extra time... heard everyone going bonkers, fair to say that it felt like the longest piss of my life. Gutted

I arrived late to a game in the early 2000s, as I'd come straight from work. It was about five minutes in, and we conceded almost as soon as I'd sat down. Although I saw the goal, it suddenly dawned on me that I had no idea who we were playing against (I mustn't have been able to see the screen from where I was sat, and I didn't dare ask the people next to me). We equalised soon afterwards, but it took me about 25 minutes to figure out who the opposition were so I found it very hard to gauge whether 1-1 was an OK scoreline or not. It turned out to be Fulham, who were top of the league, I think.

Also missed Fleck and Leon at the Sty. And David McAllister against Shrewsbury in our first game of the season because my season ticket had not been updated properly so I had to walk over to the ticket office and join the day tripper queue... I heard the (rather tame) cheer when on Shoreham Street. Sadly, no further goals were scored that day. :tumbleweed:

Back
Top Bottom