Midfielders you never really liked?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Vinnie jones, just a huge disappointment considering we paid a fair whack at the time. Guaranteed to get booked with a half arsed tackle resulting in a mass brawl. Don't get me wing I loved the Bassett era and have the fondest memories of the time but vinnie summed up our lack of natural talent at the time.

Vinnie jones, just a huge disappointment considering we paid a fair whack at the time. Guaranteed to get booked with a half arsed tackle resulting in a mass brawl. Don't get me wing I loved the Bassett era and have the fondest memories of the time but vinnie summed up our lack of natural talent at the time.

100% agree with this... Vinnie cost us a fortune and did FA other than break records for red cards, then we were relegated

Charlie Hartifield

Never seemed like a footballer to me, and more a thug who won some sort of fan competition to play for his favourite team.

Leon Britton

Never bothered. Clearly was a class player before and after his stint with us. But somehow it all went AWOL for that season with us and because of that I always held a grudge against him, especially considering we went down to League 1 the end of that season

Britton was a homesick puppy dressed as a footballer - compete dissapointment as a player and a man in my eyes... Little fanny..

Britton was a homesick puppy dressed as a footballer - compete dissapointment as a player and a man in my eyes... Little fanny..

One of the most overrated players of the last 2 decades. Couldn’t wait to bail on us too.

Stephen Quinn frustrated the hell out of me. Wouldn’t say I hated him, but I thought he was shocking under Blackwell. Might’ve been Blackwells fault, actually probably was.

Darren Bullock. Looked like your 50 year old uncle who played Sunday league. Can’t remember if he did a job though.

Ford and Ian Hamilton. Shit downgrades from Hutchinson and Whitehouse in that midfield. Probably more to do with the circumstances. Going from PL quality to lower Division One.

Not read every post so he's probably been mentioned but , Lee hendrie has to be up there ,

They were both sold with about 8 or 9 games to go, after which we lost form and dropped out of the playoffs.
I think the game before they sold them we'd beaten Watford 3-0 (and gone above them in the table) and with a good end to the season could have made the play offs. Which obviously went down the pan once the better players were being sold.

In contrast Watford won all their remaining games before going on to win the play offs and promotion to the top tier!

If you’d have asked me before the start of last season I’d have said Lundstram, didn’t hate him but my heart used to sink when I saw his name in line up.

Absolute hatred has to go to Woolford, what a cunt. A nesh David Carney which is saying something. Meant to be a winger but didn’t take a man on, couldn’t shoot, pass, weak as fuck and summed up everything wrong with us at that time. Then stuck rods up at fans and tried to backtrack on it, least Hammond didn’t sink to those levels.

In no particular order:
Kevin Arnott, Bruce Rioch, Jose Baxter, James Harper plus the obligatory earlier mentions of Rankine, Hunt, Hamilton, Stuart etc.

Martin Kuhl
Bobby Ford
Ian Hamilton
Wally Downes

The ironic thing about Ian Hamilton is that I lived in Scunthorpe when he played for them, and saw him in a lot of games. He was absolutely class and from memory got a move to WBA, but for us well....I was not a big fan.

Is this the same Radio Sheffield that used to argue "... every team needs a Nick Montgomery" .....

I went home & away that 1st year in League 1 & I don't remember KMac going missing much at all. As I've already stated in this thread, if he hadn't jumped ship he would have been a legend on a par with Couttsy. When Fulham got promoted, KMac was the senior part of the MacDonald/Norwood midfield.

Bit like those folk that used to say Glenn Hoddle doesn't tackle enough.
In my book Hoddle was a genius (best English player in last 40 yrs very closely followed by Gazza) & should have had far more than his 49 caps.

Anyway, I'm off to have Kevin MacDonald's babies.

Glad we were rid of him, not fit to lace Couttsy’s boots.

I can’t believe it. Over 100 posts and no one has mentioned John Gannon!

Maybe he wasn’t so bad after all. He was certainly a marmite type player. The number of times you’d hear him referred to under a different name at the start - Bloody John Gannon!

He had a bit of skill about him but my abiding memory is him missing a penalty at the Bramall Lane end. He skied it. I think it was against Southampton.
Same John Gannon , cannot believe it took this long. All he could do was kick the ball the way he was facing. Always reminded me of a subbuteo player. Use watch him and wonder why I never played professional football .

Same John Gannon , cannot believe it took this long. All he could do was kick the ball the way he was facing. Always reminded me of a subbuteo player. Use watch him and wonder why I never played professional football .

Watch some of our goals from the early 90s.

You will surprised how often Dane, Deano or Jock Bryson run onto a perfectly weighted Gannon pass.

One of the most underated players in that that team IMHO.

Ive not seen Mick Speight mentioned.
He used to do my head in as a youngster watching United.
Did nothing for 90 minutes but somehow got a shirt every week!
You'd need to be a certain age to remember him.

I really couldn’t get behind Coutts. Not sure what it was, maybe it was the turning circle, maybe it was the song. But I never really liked him.

I assume this post will go down a treat.

Watch some of our goals from the early 90s.

You will surprised how often Dane, Deano or Jock Bryson run onto a perfectly weighted Gannon pass.

One of the most underated players in that that team IMHO.

Your point is perfectly illustrated firstly in the Bobby Davison Derby at 2.55 what a pass to Davison that was for the third goal. Secondly in the 2-0 victory at the Lane at 3.58 that led to the first. For those two assists alone Gannon will go down in Blades folklore.

I really couldn’t get behind Coutts. Not sure what it was, maybe it was the turning circle, maybe it was the song. But I never really liked him.

I assume this post will go down a treat.

what???

Ive not seen Mick Speight mentioned.
He used to do my head in as a youngster watching United.
Did nothing for 90 minutes but somehow got a shirt every week!
You'd need to be a certain age to remember him.

I am of a certain age (and a bit more!) and I do remember him , but not in the way you do .

Did nothing for 90 minutes , Mick Speight ?? Full of energy , never stopped running and working , strong in the tackle and whilst he was no TC , had more ability on the ball than many gave him credit for .

He wouldn't even be in my top 100 of midfielders I didn't like .

Gannon could thrill and kill us fans in same game, Haich I may be wrong so sorry if am, I seem to have a mindset of Gannon scoring 2 and we let him take penalty for hat trick, and he blazed it over. What Booked lacked in skill he made up for in enthusiasm in spades, and always got that vital gaol.
1598347163303.png

Like I said mate it was in my head it's this getting old shit fella, once again got mixed up he did miss a pen but it denying Bob Booker a hat trick I get there in end just takes longer with me Haitch.

Last edited:
Like I said mate it was in my head it's this getting old shit fella, once again got mixed up he did miss a pen but it denying Bob Booker a hat trick I get there in end just takes longer with me Haitch.
4-1 win v Southampton in February 1991. Wilder was the captain.

I am of a certain age (and a bit more!) and I do remember him , but not in the way you do .

Did nothing for 90 minutes , Mick Speight ?? Full of energy , never stopped running and working , strong in the tackle and whilst he was no TC , had more ability on the ball than many gave him credit for .

He wouldn't even be in my top 100 of midfielders I didn't like .
Couldn’t agree more. Hard bastard as well

I was never a fan of Don Hutchinson. Great player (if he was sober and could be bothered) but never really seemed to give a toss. Also, Beard, Patterson, Doyle, HAMMOND, Hartfield, Kamara, Gannon and Jones.

Back
Top Bottom